Wooden sticks

Ebikeotis

10 mW
Hi guys. Lots of questions but this one is baffling me. When you remove the stator from the wheel (I’m not sure what the metal fins are called) are there supposed to be wooden sticks between them? Seems very strange

Attachments

• 084F9FE8-4EB5-4DB2-88E4-D0F82B5DC539.jpeg
    084F9FE8-4EB5-4DB2-88E4-D0F82B5DC539.jpeg
    78.2 KB · Views: 348
they use those to pack the windings in more tightly, and potentially help keep from vibrating (since they dont' typically soak the motor in varnish to lock them in place).

When I first took it apart and saw them it did make me think how you have all this tech and a primitive stick

simple tech is still tech. ;)

good rule of engineering and manufacturing is don't make it more complex than it has to be. if you do, it'll cost more and be less reliable, most of the time. (if the part itself isn't less reliable, the supply chain for it will be).

the number one rule of cheap ebike engineering (especially with the typical chinese stuff) is to not use anything at all if you don't absolutely have to use it to make a functional part you can sell--just leave out the part(s) and/or manufacturing steps completely.

when you do have to, because the end product won't work at all without it, then use the simplest and cheapest and easiest to get thing that will do that job.

so...sticks. ;)

#china at its very best. it's a great solution for the factory owner but a poor tradeoff for you the consumer vs the marginal cost and vast thermal and reliability benefits of potting with epoxy.

Yeah does seem bad but I’m guessing they wouldn’t have someone opening them up. If they are ok being there and safe that’s fine

Yup very true. Well this is my first hub and everything is a learning curve. If it goes badly wrong I can upgrade to something better

If it works for it's intended use, I say why not? It's more environmentally friendly than dumping a bunch of chemicals on it/filling the slots with plastic. And personally, I love seeing tech mixed with natural resources.

You will never know how the motor is built unless someone already opened it up and pictured it in some forum somewhere. Even then the manufacturing line may have changed build parts to save money, or supply partner changes, or how the slave-wage worker feels that day on the assembly line. Same happens with color coded wiring, throttles for example, grabbing whatever wire is closest and not caring about uniformity of wire color code for the product. Red could be ground, black could be +, then one throttle might have a white wire for sense, or a green wire and they are side by side on the slave-workers bench.

In 1967 I had to change the clutch on a Pontiac Firebird that was a few months old. To remove the transmission a cross member had to be removed. Cross members were bolted in unless GM ran out of bolts, in that case they were riveted in, if GM ran out of rivets too, the cross members were welded in. The dealer explained this to me. GM.

That same car burned a valve during its first year. More GM.

But, that Firebird was beautiful. GM.

Shoddy stuff is not just from China.

Shoddy is not a new thing.

Most of your ‘hi tech’ hub motors are wound at home by women and children. That is common sub-contracting in China. As for bamboo sticks, they are a common way to do, cheap and practical. For the price that you pay them, you are not really expecting titanium, ceramics and composite materials, do you? :mrgreen:

MadRhino said:
Most of your ‘hi tech’ hub motors are wound at home by women and children. That is common sub-contracting in China. As for bamboo sticks, they are a common way to do, cheap and practical. For the price that you pay them, you are not really expecting titanium, ceramics and composite materials, do you? :mrgreen:

This being my first hub motor or anything to do with this kind of thing it was just a general question Of “are they supped to be there?”. It’s good to find out about this stuff and what other people have to say.

MikeSSS said:
In 1967 I had to change the clutch on a Pontiac Firebird that was a few months old. To remove the transmission a cross member had to be removed. Cross members were bolted in unless GM ran out of bolts, in that case they were riveted in, if GM ran out of rivets too, the cross members were welded in. The dealer explained this to me. GM.

That same car burned a valve during its first year. More GM.

But, that Firebird was beautiful. GM.

Shoddy stuff is not just from China.

Shoddy is not a new thing.

Trust me. I see some shoddy things in the trade I’m in. Definitely things I wouldn’t do myself or expect my team to do.

Back