Would be Lyen buyers... be warned * RESOLVED *

rylie

1 mW
EDIT: Edward Lyen has promptly corrected this issue. The controller has been repaired and it currently in transit. He also did a shunt mod and shipped it air mail for the delays which I do appreciate.

This servers as a warning to would be buyers of products from Edward Lyen.

My story goes like this....

I emailed him about a controller and cycle analyst and the initial correspondence was great. He gave me advice as to which controller would best suite my needs. I made the payment and about a week later received it. Everything seems to be going great. This is where things started going downhill. I was having problems getting the product working so I emailed Edward about the issues and got "some" assistance, though at times was very slow or no response at all which prompted more emails sent. In the end I was asked to send the controller back along with my current controller (thank god I didn't send the current controller). I sent the controller back to him on May 30, he received it on June 4 and here we sit June 28 and I still do not have the controller returned. I have email him numerous time now and I either get no response or I just get excuses. Just this week I started asking him for a refund and now I getting no responses to my emails. I emailed him from another account saying I was looking to purchase a controller and he responded to that email. So this can only tell me one thing and that is he's just in this for the money, if you have problems...screw you, he doesn’t care.
Now I know there are going to be people who say I'm crazy and his service is great. Good for you, you got luck. I know of at least one other member here who has had the same problem dealing with Edward and I'm sure there's more.

So if you are thinking of doing any business with Edward Lyen, be careful. I have over 30 emails to prove this is anyone is interested.

He billed me twice on my last purchase. I just ignored the second billing and put it down to "one of those things".

30 emails...Really? Do you really think someone would read them after the first few? Being the squeaky wheel may work with a big company, though I'd argue that there are far more effective approaches. When dealing with a one man show such behavior virtually guarantees that you're put to the very back of the customer issues list.

He charged me the repair cost and the shipping cost of his new controller I only used for 60 seconds. :(

I also had a quite bad experience with him initially.

However after the controller was repaired, no more problems and all is working fine.

Ive had many issues with the controllers. I stack it up to what it is.Cheapo controllers to begin with. with a Lyen facelifT. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Now Lyen himself has been very good about fixing the issues ive had. around 15 controllers i think ive bought. had issues with mabye 5 of them, some after heavy abuse :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Honestly i think the controllers are barely up to what we (go fast guys) are doing wit them. esp with the solder balls from my shoddy repairs and mods.......plus my wiring skills are butcherish ive been told. :mrgreen:

Anyways if you wanna win some cred with Lyen , make sure your controllers are clean when u send them for repair. I hear he does not like fixing muddy stuff!!!!! :p :p

Controllers are a finiky beasts to setup

ps i dont think hes in it for the money, thats gotta be hell changing all those mosfets. I think doing it to help u people!!

"thank god I didn't send him my current controller" this decision is like tying Ed Lyens hands and complaining that he is not working fast enough. If you did that to me I would not have your project on my first priority list. There is no universal wiring and plug configurations for controllers. It's possible for any of us to cause a control fail when working out the install.

Not trying to denounce what the op said, but sounds a little like he might have broken something in trying to set it up? yea 2 weeks no contact is kinda bad, but if you're emailing him 30 times in that period, thats going way WAY over the top too. He's a one man show, often busy, so be patient and give him a chance. If you're that desperate to get on your bike then buy a second backup controller, as most of us do. either another lyen, a methods, or a cheapie ebay unit. They can be had for as little as $30, so at least you can get back on your bike at a lower power level while you wait. and seriously mate, if you call lyens service 'bad' then try buying stuff direct from china. Send it back, hope they get it, hope they look at it within 6 months, hope they sort it out within another 6, you might get a repaired unit/refund within 12 months. They're not all like that, but plenty are.

as to responding to your 'fake' email, I dont know how the guy runs his show, but I imagine he's got most new stuff packed up and ready to go. Responding to a sales inquiry and sending out a sale probably takes 10min of his time, vs a couple of hours (or more) to diagnose and repair a controller, whether its 'his fault', 'your fault' or just a lemon... get the idea? you basically waste MORE of his time just to find out that the guy is busy, and has priorities. well done you.

My own experience has been mostly good to very good. the first controller he sent out came with the wrong connectors (after requesting them from the start), but he quickly sent out the right ones once I emailed him. His after sale support, while sometimes (rarely) taking a while to reply has been great too, helping me to mod my 12 fet for 24s. for me its 4 greenies out of 5 :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Lyen makes a good product and I have had nothing, but good product and service from him and most especially good technical response. 8) 8) 8)

wineboyrider said:
Lyen makes a good product and I have had nothing, but good product and service from him and most especially good technical response. 8) 8) 8)

Same here. These items require certain level of skill and ability to install without damage. Fairly obvious what happened here...

I can't think of a bigger customer service and technical support nightmare than selling ebike controllers to newbs.

From my experience, he does a pretty good job. If anyone emailed me 30times about anything, I would refund the money and tell them to go f*ck themselves.

I haave bought 2 controllers from Lyen and have had a VERY GOOD expeirence. I needed some help and I received prompt answers from Edward. My dealing with Edward has been EXCELLENT.

liveforphysics said:
I can't think of a bigger customer service and technical support nightmare than selling ebike controllers to newbs.

From my experience, he does a pretty good job. If anyone emailed me 30times about anything, I would refund the money and tell them to go f*ck themselves.
:D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well said Luke and I am very grateful to people like yourself and Edward Lyen that give us earthly folks (read ie. non-technical) a chance to ride the lightning!

P.S. thanks Methy!

Bought three controllers from him so far. Very good service and answered my specific questions within 24-48 hours in the five or six times I PMed him. I was able to figure out where I went wrong programming the controllers with his help.

Forget it mate... Lyen is reliable!
Sometimes he is a little slow responding but I was never mistreated by him. Even my stupid questions he always cared to answer.

I have bought 10 or more controllers for myself and friends from Lyen, his service, packing, shipping, and quality of product has always been faultless for me. I have never had a single bad experience with him, I highly recommend dealing with him for a quality product and great service.

Nitwits like this guy pop up once in awhile. I've only had to deal with a few over the years, fortunately. Usually they burn something up due to incompetence, then demand a new replacement. If you don't jump and dance to their tune, they write a bad review. I think most readers of this forum realize that the review process can be abused, as in this case. It can actually be used as extortion, so when it's totally bogus, as this is, it needs to be called out.

I'm calling you out sucka, you are ((mod edit.. going a bit too far :wink: .. .. Y )

Ive bough 2 or 3 controllers ..ebrakes multifunction switch and he even offered to fix one that wasnt his. Ive had two repairs on a 12 and 18 fet... Numerous upgrades such as beefed up traces and extra connectors and ish... this is a lame bash post... hes has hundreds of sales on controllers. There maybe a few bad seeds that slip through... which i doubt cause he covers his ass by making a video for every controller he sells... so if anything happens its either your own stupidity that fubard your controller and you are impatient and prob nagging his ass to death. With ebikes you always gotta have a backup plan on major know to fail components... pick up a cheap 6 fet off flea bay and sit tight. He might respond to you if you werent so neeedy. To be honest with you i get the same way when I make harnesses for people... there are some people that dont i dont reply to because if you didnt read up on the basics and have an understanding on ebikes and the service i offer in general then how do i expect you not to blow yourself up. Im a CSR for Scumcast and there are some very dense people out there... and those are the people that mysteriously get disconnected....smdh

liveforphysics said:

Here here! :D

The main problem is that a small number of people buying stuff to put together a DIY ebike have insufficient knowledge of what they need and how to achieve their aim, and then expect small, part-time businesses selling parts to provide the level of service they'd get if they bought an off-the-shelf, finished ebike.

I don't know what the marketplace is like for ebikes in other countries around the world, but where I live there are dozens of companies selling completed ebikes, many of high quality, but all at prices of around £1000 (~$1500 US) or much more. All are slow (as they are legally power and speed limited) but you can expect to get the same sort of customer support from the sellers as you'd get for an ordinary bike, in the main.

The choice here is to pay a high price for a ready-made, low performance, ebike with warranty and support, or put together a DIY job with better performance for the money and accept you're pretty much on your own (except for the support from ES members).

Within the last year, ordered 2 controllers from him. Extremely fast communication at first. Extremely fast delivery upon receipt of payment. Aftersales was a bit slower, but usually I got a response to my newbie question within 24hours. More than fast enough for my needs.

Oh, and a response like "unfortunately, I do not have the time to write a manual for your individual complicated setup which has only a very far relation to the controller, so you need to figure it out yourself" is also a response! And it is honest, because I did not pay him for this extra advice. Therefore, it is only fair that he sets priorities. I do exactly the same in my own job.

To the OP, you never stated what exactly the problem was. Only:
rylie said:
...I was having problems getting the product working so I emailed Edward about the issues and got "some" assistance, though at times was very slow or no response at all which prompted more emails sent. In the end I was asked to send the controller back along with my current controller (thank god I didn't send the current controller). I sent the controller back to him ....

Could it be that you bought a product without fully understanding what you were doing? Did you study all the online materials, manuals, and software that Lyen provides with his controllers? Because he provides very nice pictures with descriptions of all connections, and even provides a table to test all possible hall/phase combinations in a structured way. After the controller "broke", did you open a thread here on ES to ask other people for support?

Just wondering....

Impossible to say what , if anything, rylie did wrong. Or to make any judgement about what, if anything Lyens did wrong.

I do agree with Luke, give him his money back, eat the shipping, and end it. I'da done that about the 5th email.

I've been very happy with Lyens controllers and will keep buying them. I don't play with the settings, or run stupidly high power. I just run the 12 fet controllers on 40 amps, and have really liked the thrifty 20 amp 9 fet at 72v.

I did send back an early sensorless controller that never worked. I asked for a trade in on a less costly controller (the 9 fet) so he got covered on his shipping.

Nobody is perfect, but Lyens remains on my recomended vendors list FOR SURE. But I do recomend sensored controllers when going above 48v 20 amps.

Ok.. i'm locking this thread. point proven.

But, i'm leaving it ( vs deleting it ) .

Personally, Lyen has been great to me, i've got a number of his controllers, new and used, have always gotten help when i needed it, but my questions are short and specific, i know just enough to manage but i do need help with some more techie parts..

the OP was asked by lyen to have this thread removed, i feel it should remain for future reference.. so here it remains. 8)

Back