XB-600 hub motor phase wires shorting to axle/case

polecat

100 mW
hi all,

I have an XB-600 scooter running @72V and Lyen Mark II controller. I have a problem with my motor. Pulled the motor out of the bike (opened the motor) to find the insulation on the yellow phase wire (inside the motor adjacent to the windings) had cracked. I shrink wrapped new insulation over the original yellow phase wire. Was about to rewire new phase wire extensions, out of the axle to the controller when I discovered continuity between all phase wires and the axle/stator/motor case. Am I correct to assume the phase wires should be electrically isolated from the stator/axle/motor case? If so, any ideas how to track down the short? Before I removed the motor I conducted some quick tests. When the controller was disconnected from the phase wires I shorted each phase wire together: BG, BY, GY. Strong cogging when I manually rotated the rear wheel (motor coils seem to be good). Then I shorted each phase wire to the motor housing. Yellow phase wire: mild cogging, Blue phase wire: strong cogging, Green phase wire: strong cogging. I noticed a fair bit of grime/oil on the windings. Should I clean the stator? Is there a safe way to do this? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I wonder if this has anything to do with either the problem you had here:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=89450&p=1305103#p1305103
(though you never did bother to post what the problem turned out to be) or whatever repair was done to fix that problem?

polecat said:
Pulled the motor out of the bike (opened the motor) to find the insulation on the yellow phase wire (inside the motor adjacent to the windings) had cracked.
If there's a crack in one spot, it's probably in all of the phase wires in random locations, potentially anywhere along their length.

Best bet is to replace the whole cable with a new one. If it will fit, Grin Tech http://ebikes.ca sells the cable by the meter, I think it is, with 12g phases and IIRC 24g halls plus a temperature sensor wire.

Am I correct to assume the phase wires should be electrically isolated from the stator/axle/motor case?
Yes. If any wire is shorted to them, then any other wire that later becomes shorted to it means the phases are shorted together, and you blow FETs in teh controller (usually).

The phases themselves will always appear shorted to each other iwth any regular multimeter; you'd need a milliohm-capable testing device to see if they are *actually* shorted (or disconnect the Y connection between them all within the motor; I don't recommend this unless it's absolutely necessary, as moving around the windings could potentially damage the enamel on teh wire and allow a short to stator, etc).

Then I shorted each phase wire to the motor housing. Yellow phase wire: mild cogging, Blue phase wire: strong cogging, Green phase wire: strong cogging.
The wire that appears to cog less probalby has the short, because it's already shorted a little, so the difference between the cogging you feel before and after is less than an unshorted wire.

If you decide to change out the whole cable for safety's sake, then you could find out for curiosity's sake which wire it is by cutting each one of the phase wires an inch or two away from where they join the windings (to leave something to connect the new wires to). Cut the yellow first, while measuring with the meter between the winding/phase connection point and the stator (or one of the other phase wire ends), and if the short goes away, it's in the yellow wire itself. Can be confirmed by measuring from the yellow wire end to the stator; it shoudl still show the short.

I noticed a fair bit of grime/oil on the windings. Should I clean the stator?
Unless there's a problem I would leave it alone, because anything with water in it can stay in there and corrode things later, if it's not very thoroughly dried out.

There should be no oil on anything unless youve done an oil bath inside the motor to keep it cooler, or it's a ventilated motor that's somehow been run thru a puddle of oil or something.

Grime...shouldn't be any dirt/etc in there unless it's a ventilated motor.

Is it posssible it's actually corrosion, from water intrusion? (it's really hard to seal a motor against water, so hardly any of them actually are). If it's corrosion there are some threads about DIY Rust Repair and Restoration of motors.

If you're not sure you can post pics, just attach them to the post itself when you reply, with the attachments tab and hte upload button.

Thanks amberwolf . You made some very good suggestions.

I'll post some pictures shortly. I had already cut the phase wires back to about two inches away from the windings. I was hoping the short was in the phase wires near the windings, but I can't seem to spot it visually. Is it possible the short is between the windings and the stator? I would think that if the windings had been damaged, I wouldn't observe any cogging, when I shorted the phase wires together. Tomorrow I'll remove the string and woven cover over the solder point where the winding meets the 2 inches of phase wire(s). Perhaps the problem will become more apparent then. Cheers.

polecat said:
I had already cut the phase wires back to about two inches away from the windings.
Hmmm.... :/ You may not realise it, but it is very important to post complete details, "little things" like this, because if you had, I wouldn't have posted all of what I did above--most of it is irrelevant with that information, and a waste of your time, because there's no way for the phase wires to be shorted to anything if they are not passing thru the axle, as that's where the short usually occurs (assuming they're not touching the stator supports inside, either).

Instead, I'd've given different advice because what's above has mostly already been eliminated--if there's a winding short, there' no good way to fix that for sure without unwinding and rewinding the mtoro with all new wire--and that' is hardly ever worth the money or time and effort.

The best you can usually do is put a continuity tester (that beeps) between the phases and the stator, and start touching gently at different points to see if it goes away. If it does, then you must mark that spot, and you can try using a liquid called Corona Dope to soak down into the stator and windings, and hope it gets between the windings and stator enough to fix the short.

I was very lucky with such a short on my MXUS 4503, and this procedure did fix it (though it may not be permanent, it probably will be if I don't overheat anything). But I also have an "isolation tester" that can test for shorts at up to a few hundred volts, to make *sure* these kinds of shorts won't be a problem under actual motor operation (which is different than just a DC multimeter reading can test for).

I was hoping the short was in the phase wires near the windings, but I can't seem to spot it visually.
It can't be, unless the phase wires are physically in contact with the metal of the stator supports or axle, which they should not be if you've already cut them off like that.

But generally you wouldn't be able to see a short unless the insulation was pretty severely damaged and either had arcing burns, or open insulation showing the conductor, and a corresponding point on whatever it shorted to. It'd be generally a pretty severe damage to be visible without magnification/etc. But you can have a short like you describe wtih a very tiny amount of damage taht isn't easily visible--it can even be "invisible" in that it can be a break in insulation that's flexible enough to "heal" when pulled away from whatever damaged it.

Is it possible the short is between the windings and the stator?
With the wires cut off, it must be between the windings and stator laminations, or the windings where they go over the lip of the stator support, as there isn't anywhere else they could be shorted,

I would think that if the windings had been damaged, I wouldn't observe any cogging, when I shorted the phase wires together.
Depends on the amount of shorting there is; if the short between phase wires is lower resistance than the other short, then you'd still get cogging, it just wont' be as much as between other phases.

Tomorrow I'll remove the string and woven cover over the solder point where the winding meets the 2 inches of phase wire(s). Perhaps the problem will become more apparent then.
Hopefully; if you're lucky you'll find there's a short between the winding and stator support where it goes over the lip of the stator support. If not, and it's between the windings and stator teeth... Yuck.

Thanks amberwolf. Sorry about omitting the info about the trimmed phase wires.

If I can't find the short (over the stator lip), do you think it's worth it to have a local electric company find the short? What do you think about motor replacement? Are there any aftermarket motors that will fit and you recommend? Cheers.

Unfortunately, the short is in the windings. Sucks to be me. Let me know what you think about an after market motor. Might be viable solution. Cheers.

polecat said:
If I can't find the short (over the stator lip), do you think it's worth it to have a local electric company find the short?
Unless you're wanting to pay them to rewind it, they're unlikely to be able (or willing) to do anything even if they can find the specific spot it's shorting in. I expect it will be expensive either way. :(

But you can call around and ask, just to find out. :)

If you do find it's in the windings themselves, and it's too expensive to do other repairs, you could try that Corona Dope, just brushing it on hte windings where they go into the stator, and on the stator laminations in those spots as well. It *might* work, though there are no guarantees, but it is relatively cheap option. Takes a few days with the motor opened up to dry out.

What do you think about motor replacement? Are there any aftermarket motors that will fit and you recommend?

I don't know if they have one that will fit, but lately people seem happy with QSmotors; they have a thread in the for sale section with a lot of questions and answers, and at least a couple of websites. MJSFoto1956 has a thread for his project that uses one of their big motors.

Havent' used them myself, but what I've seen of them looks much better than the stuff I've used myself by MXUS and the like.

Based on this page
https://www.scootercatalog.com/xtreme-xb600-motor.html
and the model numbers they list
1/2 Axle - Motor #QSDW05CZ36
3/8 Axle - Motor #QSDW05Z33
I suspect they were made by QSmotors to begin with.

Funny you should mention QSMotors. I spoke to them two days ago. Gave me a quote for a12inch 1500W 205 V3 Hub Motor: USD195.00. Shipping Cost: USD155.00. I'll probably try your suggestion first (attempting to isolate the short). If it doesn't pan out, QSMotors is an option. Do you know of anyone in North America selling the QSMotor product? Trying to reduce the shipping fee, if possible.

polecat said:
Do you know of anyone in North America selling the QSMotor product? Trying to reduce the shipping fee, if possible.
I don't know, but some of their stuff is actually on Amazon, setup as Prime, so if you have Prime it's free shipping.
https://www.amazon.com/stores/node/19835919011?_encoding=UTF8&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=QSMOTOR&ref_=bl_dp_s_web_19835919011

AFAIK they're mostly a direct-from-manufacturer type seller, mostly selling to OEMs but they do sell to individuals. (it's just really expensive to ship big heavy things across the ocean).

There are other motors you can probably use, too--remember you're trying to match the speed (winding) of your original motor, even if you go for something more powerful (unless you're also trying to increase the speed of the scooter). If you get something meant to run a lot faster (or slower) on the same voltage, it's going to respond differently than your existing setup. See http://ebikes.ca/simulator for how that stuff works.

See https://www.ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-parts/motors.html for another place to get motors that's here on the continent, at least.

I cleaned the stator. Much easier to see the windings. Surprisingly, still can't find the short to the stator. Is it possible the windings are shorting to the stator internally, rather than on the surface?

Here are some current pictures of the stator.

Attachments

• motorA.jpg
    motorA.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 2,941
  • motorB.jpg
    motorB.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 2,941
FWIW, that stator looks pretty much exactly like the typical "9C" 280x stator common in "500w" ebike hubmotors a few years ago.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14580&start=50

9CRH-DW01.jpg

So you could probably find one of those to use as a replacement, without having to replace your wheel--just use the new stator in place of your old one. You'd have to measure your stator to make sure it comes out the same dimensions; http://ebikes.ca can probably help with that.

polecat said:
I cleaned the stator. Much easier to see the windings. Surprisingly, still can't find the short to the stator. Is it possible the windings are shorting to the stator internally, rather than on the surface?

Yes, that's usually where the shorts happen, because of the sharp edges of the metal where the wire is wound around it. Soemtiems heat melts the enamel and allows the short, sometimes it's vibration, corrosion, etc.

As previously noted, shorts are not usually visible.

What specifically was used to clean the stator, and how was it done, exactly?

Cleaning can be a problem, because the depending on how it's done, the cleaning process can further damage the windings and exacerbate a short, plus it removes evidence that might lead to finding it or diagnosing how things might have happened.

Do you have pics of before the cleaning process? If so, we can see whether there is corrosion on the windings or stator themselves, and of what type, which could tell us whether it's even worth attempting a fix. If there was corroded copper, it means the enamel itself was damaged whereever that was, allowing shorts between that and other things (or between windings), and the windings are also damaged by the corrosion itself.

It may also show what the grime / oil was.

Thanks amberwolf. I cleaned the stator with mineral spirits (checked some cleaning suggestions at another site). Before I used the mineral spirits, I tested it on a small section. Didn't soften or dissolve the winding varnish. Used the multimeter to verify. Though I don't have a before picture, most of the oil, dirt, possibly carbon deposits, were located around the windings closest to the phase wires and hall sensors (I've removed the three hall sensors since; don't need them anymore with my sensorless controller).

I like your idea regarding a replacement stator. If I can find one that is close enough (size wise), that would work. Nothing wrong with my current motor housing and fastening bolts.

Also, had a crazy idea I'd like to run by you. Assuming the windings are shorting internally to the stator (almost certainly at this point), if I could electrically isolate and insulate the axle rod from the stator body, wouldn't that solve the short problem to the scooter frame? I already tested the phase coils, they all seem to be intact. The only problem is a short to the stator body, which is connected to the axle rod and ebike frame. If the stator body were electrically isolated from the axle rod,, would it matter if there was a short to the stator body? I know it sounds crazy....but would it work?

polecat said:
I cleaned the stator with mineral spirits (checked some cleaning suggestions at another site). Before I used the mineral spirits, I tested it on a small section. Didn't soften or dissolve the winding varnish. Used the multimeter to verify.
FWIW, a regular multimeter can't tell you if the qualities of the windings have changed, such as if insulation is damaged between the layers of a single phase, etc. It takes an isolation tester or similar function to do that, or a resistance tester that can measure in milliohms or lower. To a typical multimeter, windigns are virtually a dead short resistance, about the same as the test leads themselves just being touched to each other.

I haven't used mineral spirits, so I don't know what they might or might not do. If theyr'e safe, then just pouring it on them mgiht wash stuff off, depending on what it is. But without some sort of mechanical action, scrubbing, wiping, etc., I don't know what they would remove. The mechanical action, more often than the solvent used, is what can damage windings or cause / exacerbate shorts between windings and stator laminations. (though depending on the existing damage/contaminants/etc., various solvents can cause various kinds of damage on their own).

Though I don't have a before picture, most of the oil, dirt, possibly carbon deposits, were located around the windings closest to the phase wires and hall sensors (I've removed the three hall sensors since; don't need them anymore with my sensorless controller)
If it was carbon deposits...they have to come from somewhere, and these motors are not open to the environment, so they should stay virtually pristine inside unless there is water intrusion, which creates corrosion, not carbon deposits. Also, carbon deposits are conductive, so they can also cause a "partial short".

In a brushed motor, it would come from brushes, but yours is brushless, and the only other common source of carbon deposits would be arcing from a short--but anything bad enough to leave visible deposits would also have a very obvious source spot with much more intense deposits.

If it's oil, that also has to come from somewhere, and there isn't a source for that in a motor like this, so it would have to come from some external source. Shouldn't be such a source on an escooter that could get into the hubmotor.

So...you have another mystery that might need solving, since whatever caused the deposits is another problem that may continue to cause other problems, even with a new motor. It's possible that the one problem created the other, or that they are completely unrelated.

I like your idea regarding a replacement stator. If I can find one that is close enough (size wise), that would work. Nothing wrong with my current motor housing and fastening bolts.
It has to be the *same* size in several specifics. The diameter of the stator laminations must be the same--too big and it will rub on the magnets or not fit inside. Too small and the air gap will be too large and the motor will not work as expected.

Also, had a crazy idea I'd like to run by you. Assuming the windings are shorting internally to the stator (almost certainly at this point), if I could electrically isolate and insulate the axle rod from the stator body, wouldn't that solve the short problem to the scooter frame?
It's not that there is a short to the frame, but that there is a short to the stator itself, which if more than one phase shorts to it means there is a short between phases (which often takes out the controller). Even if there's no inter-phase short, there can be multiple shorts within a single phase, essentially shorting out part of that phase so it doesn't drive the motor like it should, resulting in rough running, lower torque and/or speed, and potential damage to the controller depending on the current that flows and what exactly it does to the controller.

Anyway, to do that you'd have to re-engineer the stator supports so they can handle the torque of the stator against the axle, but be made of something nonconductive. They also have to be fairly precisely made, becuse you don't want any out of roundness between the stator and the magnet ring (rotor), the gap needs to be the same all the way around.

If you had the ability to lathe something like lexan, polycarbonate, or thick ABS, or some other tough plastic that's availalbe in thick enough sheets, you could make two discs with holes in them that fit over the axle, and within the stator inside circumference, so they butt right up on the existing stator supports.

Then once you have those fitting correctly, you can drill holes for bolts thru both discs and the stator supports in two circumferential rows, one near the axle, and one near the windings. Make sure you mark the alignments of everything, so it all comes out exactly the same way it was.

Then you can remove the discs, and cut the stator supports between the two rows of holes. You must be careful to mask off the windings and laminations so you don't get metal dust in them, or accidentally nick any of them.

Then you can put the discs back in, each on it's correct side and alignment, and bolt them to the stator supports.

Now it is electrically isolated, and theoreticaly mechanically supported. (how well-suported you'll have to put it together as a motor to find out, unfortunately).

HOwever: this only isolates the stator from the axle, it doesn't isolate the windings from the stator, so if more than one winding is (or becomes) shorted to the stator, theyre' also now shorted to each other, and taht's where the problems start.

I already tested the phase coils, they all seem to be intact.
Tested how, exactly?

Were they tested separately, or while still connected to each other?

When the motor was on the bike, I shorted each of the phase wires together. Doesn't the heavy cogging mean the coil is intact? Wouldn't there be little or no cogging, if the windings were heavily damaged?

Regarding my crazy idea: I'm assuming only one of the phase wires is shorting to the stator. If all are shorting to the stator, my motor is a paper weight (unless I have new windings installed). The reason I'm assuming only one phase wire is shorting to the stator is: 1)observed mild cogging on the yellow phase wire when shorted against motor housing while green and blue phase wires produced heavy cogging when shorted against motor housing 2) mild cogging when none of the phase wires were shorted together or connected to the controller.

My plan to electrically isolate the axle from the stator body was much less elaborate than yours. I was only planning on removing the axle, coating it (several times) with enamel and/or polyurethane and finally adding dielectric grease between the axle and stator.

polecat said:
When the motor was on the bike, I shorted each of the phase wires together. Doesn't the heavy cogging mean the coil is intact? Wouldn't there be little or no cogging, if the windings were heavily damaged?
No, it just means they are not open (disconnected) or already internally shorted.

If the windings were thoroughly shorted to each other already, *then* it wouldnt' have much if any. (or at least, it wouldn't have much difference between connecting the wires and not, because they'd already have shorts.

BTW, if you have never disconnected the main Y-connection point of the windings, so that each winding is completely isolated from the others, you still can't know if more than one winding is shorted to the stator. You can guess, with some confidence, that it is only the one with less cogging, but that might not actually be the case (it's even possible that it is the only winding that *isn't* shorted to the stator...just not likely).

Regarding my crazy idea: I'm assuming only one of the phase wires is shorting to the stator. If all are shorting to the stator, my motor is a paper weight (unless I have new windings installed). The reason I'm assuming only one phase wire is shorting to the stator is: 1)observed mild cogging on the yellow phase wire when shorted against motor housing while green and blue phase wires produced heavy cogging when shorted against motor housing 2) mild cogging when none of the phase wires were shorted together or connected to the controller.
And right now, it's probably true that only one is shorted to the stator (that's how my MXUS was). I was just concerned that the problem could increase to include a second winding. (it does happen, depending on the original cause of the first one).

My plan to electrically isolate the axle from the stator body was much less elaborate than yours. I was only planning on removing the axle, coating it (several times) with enamel and/or polyurethane and finally adding dielectric grease between the axle and stator.

Won't work, because the axle is almost certainly an interference fit with the stator supports. That means reinstalling it will remove anything you put on it (even anodizing), and make electrical contact again.

Even if you modified the axle and/or the stator supports to have a gap you could fill with nonconductive grease or enamel or whatever, then the torque of the motor against that small circumference will crush it, eventually if not immediately, and either the stator will just spin around the axle and rip up your wires, or if it's a "serrated" or "ribbed" interface so they overlap, then the metal of one will touch the other, and it won't be insulated anymore. (and the stator will be able to rock back and forth and side to side on the axle, and the magnets will rub on the stator laminations, too).

But, anyway, there's not any reason to isolate the stator from the axle like that. It doesn't accomplish anything for you, unless you have other shorts in the system that connect other wiring to the frame, and there's a lot simpler ways to fix that. ;)

The isolation you would want to do is fixing the shorted winding, and the simplest thing you can try for that is the Corona Dope liquid applied as I noted before.

Otherwise, the best you can do is just run the system just like it is, after replacing your phase wires with a completely new cable, that has no cracked insulation anywhere in it--if there's no other things in the system that connect to the frame electrically. There's still the chance that whatever caused you problems before will do so again, especially if the windings of other phases are also (intermittently) shorted to the stator (and just not presently detectable, which is what an isolation tester would probably help you find out).

I think at this point, it's best to either have new windings installed (I'll have an estimate shortly), or replace the motor with a compatible aftermarket unit. I'll keep you posted. Still sucks to be me :wink:

amberwolf,

Can these hub motors be rewound by hand, or does it require specialized equipment? If it can be done by hand, do you know of any online instructional videos or websites, showing the correct procedure (and materials).

I've currently priced out a QS motor (about $500 CDN with shipping). Sadly, shipping is nearly as much as the motor itself. Apparently, there aren't any QS suppliers in North America. Also looked at the Amazon JJ Boom 12 inch 1500w hub motor ($200 CDN). The price is right, but I haven't heard anything regarding its quality. Have you? Can you suggest an alternative 12 inch motor (current motor uses drum brake)? Can I modify a rear drum brake system to a disc brake system? Any suggestions on a disc brake kit for ebike/scooter?

I'm having my old motor inspected at a somewhat local company shortly. Once I have an estimate on rewinding, I'll decide which way to go.

Cheers,

Polecat.

These are all done by hand.

As I noted, it's a PITA, and takes quite a while to do. Most likely you'll end up doing it more than once, because you'll probably damage at least one spot on the enamel, creating a new, different, short from t hat winding to the stator. :/

That can be prevented by correctly installing the right kind and amount of insulation between the stator laminations and the windings; it's often called "fish paper", but there is also Nomex, and other types you can use.

Before you rewind it, you first have to *unwind* it, carefully, making complete notes about how it was wound to start with. This includes which direction each tooth is wound, which phase it is connected to, etc. Without that information, you'll have a hard time rewinding the way it was, and making it work on your system like you need it to.

The first place I'd recommend reading up is here on ES, for anything that mentions rewinding a motor, becuase it'll mostly be specific to hubmotors like yours. Not all of them go into detail, but some tell about the problems doing it, which is more useful than the "simple" rewinds as it may help you avoid issues.

These are the threads wiht
rewinding *motor*
in the title, but there are lots more mentions and discussions buried in other threads
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=rewinding+*motor*&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search
if you wnat more.

After that, RCGroups forums probably has lots of info about rewinding motors, but it's almost all going to be about RC motors. Other RC motor forums will have rewinding info too.

It's a 'no go' on having a local company rewind the motor. Apparently, it's too labour intensive to be cost effective. I did price out a prime candidate replacement motor with QS Motors. Unfortunately: 1) this model isn't equipped with a drum brake 2) the disc brake is on the right side vs. the left side on my bike 3) there isn't a freewheel (right side) on this motor so I can connect it to my e-scooter pedals. Some serious frame modifications may be in order. Is it just me, or is everyone having to deal with this 'company specific proprietary parts nightmare?'

That's all one reason I recommended checking around to find a motor with a stator identical in dimensions (incluidng axle shoulder distances so your covers fit) to yours (and hopefully winding pattern).

I'd first ask Grin Tech http://ebikes.ca but if they don't have one you could post a want ad here on ES, giving all the dimensions, with pics. Someone here may have something that will work laying around in their junk pile. Or places like EM3EV might have or know where to get one.

Thanks again Amberwolf. Incidentally, I narrowed the short down to the yellow phase wire windings (disconnected the phase wires from one another). It doesn't help me repair the motor, but it's good for curiosity sake :wink:

Ran across this looking at bare DIY COB LEDs on ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-Bicycle-Kit-48V-1000W-Rear-Wheel-E-Bike-Motor-Conversion-Hub-LCD-Meter/222117405994
it's stator looks just about like yours. But you'd ahve to measure yours in all the various dimensions and hten ask them what theirs are, to be sure it's a match.

Or, just buy the kit and then check it out when you get it, and if ti doesn't match then you could just resell the kit (probably for at least as much as you paid for it; it's pretty cheap).

Assuming all else is correct, but the axle is wrong length or shoulders, but right diameter at the point it goes into the stator support, then you could press the new one's out and press yours in (after pressing it out of your broken one).

Assuming that's not possible, but the stator support has the same outside diameter on both, ssame inside diameter of the laminations, then you could partly press the axle out of each so it's only in one side of the stator support on each, then carefully cut the rivets or folded-over-metal at the big holes that holds the two halves of the stator support together, take one side off, then reassemble the original support and axle around the new motor's laminations.

I don't recommend either of those, but it's mechanically possible if you don't ahve another solution.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    348.9 KB · Views: 2,678
polecat said:
Unfortunately: 1) this model isn't equipped with a drum brake 2) the disc brake is on the right side vs. the left side on my bike 3) there isn't a freewheel (right side) on this motor so I can connect it to my e-scooter pedals. Some serious frame modifications may be in order. Is it just me, or is everyone having to deal with this 'company specific proprietary parts nightmare?'

Generally that's a problem of dealing with the "electric motorcycle" part of the aftermarket rather than the "electric bicycle" part of the market. Bicycles have traditional standards (much violated lately), while motorcycles are proprietary in design.

The question remains: If you have an e-scooter, why do you have pedals? They probably don't do you any good, and they muddy the waters for bicyclists, who already have it hard enough.

Balmorhea,

The X-treme XB-600 scooter is technically a power assisted bicycle. The pedals are required to meet the e-bike requirements. Personally, the pedals are a bit of a nuisance, but they're there to keep the authorities happy. :wink:

Back