YESCOM 1500w Motor Problem

2old

100 kW
I purchased a "yes" 1500w system which seems powerful, but I hear a "groaning" sound from the motor occasionally (can't replicate it here) that sounds like a bad bearing. Should I open the motor and replace the bearing(s) (probably they need to be pressed in) or could it be something else? Yescom isn't helpful.

Under what conditions do you hear the sound? If it is only under specific conditions (speed, load, temperature, etc) it could help narrow down the issue.

There are a number of groaning, grinding, and other noises that are very common to DD hubmotors especially with trapezoidal (square, non-sine) controllers, that often only happen at certain speeds or under certain amounts of load vs throttle input. If i's one of these noises, changing to a sinewave controller (especially an FOC type) may make it completely silent.

Sometimes the problem is interference between halls and phases when it's only under high loads (high motor phase current), and separating the hall and phase wires to different cables and different routing, or shielding the hall wires, can help or fix this (but sometimes it makes no difference).

Thanks; AIR, it seems to happen when starting off, but I'll ride it again to be more definitive. It has a massive controller compared to a 1000w "yes" kit I purchased about six years ago, but is only 35 amps vs the old one's 30.

I purchased a "yes" 1500w system which seems powerful, but I hear a "groaning" sound from the motor occasionally (can't replicate it here) that sounds like a bad bearing. Should I open the motor and replace the bearing(s) (probably they need to be pressed in) or could it be something else? Yescom isn't helpful.
Has it always made the noise; or started gradually getting louder or happen more often over time; or something that just started? Is it affecting the operation of the bike?

One thought, looking at the website, the current kits I saw had dual mode controllers. You may want to check your hall sensor connector to make sure all the pins are making good connection, in case the signal is getting interrupted and the controller is defaulting to sensorless mode. Motor resonance at that speed could be a possibility. With my first setup, when I used regen at a certain speed, it would make a a kind of soft horn sound sort of like a car horn when the battery is almost dead, or rim brakes when they resonate..

Thanks; it's intermittent and mostly when taking off. It's not obtrusive, just surprising since I had excellent, quiet service from their 1000w system for six years before giving it to my daughter's fiancee.

Both my Yescomusa motors tend to grown on startup. I always attributed it to the notched wave controllers. Try pedaling up to speed and then applying the throttle and see if the sound disappears or gets much quieter.

:)
⚡

Thanks, I'll try that. The most important aspect which all those responding have stated is that it doesn't seem to be much of a problem. Thanks again.

I have a Yescom 48 v 1500 watt that's 3 weeks old. It does make motor sound mostly at lower speeds when throttling hard or suddenly, I guess.
This rear wheel kit is awesome and has put the fun back in ebiking when compared to my front hub which is like steering a stagecoach, lawnmower or whatever.
But it has not lived up to the 37 mph hype.
If the halls are disconnected maybe it can get to 37 w/ wind. I tested and hit 35 with wind and 30 against.
So it gets 32 with 160 lbs rider. I'm using a 48/20 life pack. A little winding/groaning sound is probably normal and required unless it is a bearing issue or contact/friction between wheel and bike parts or the like. No need to open up, in my view, if it rides similar to mine.

Yes some square wave controllers are loud on one motor and and quieter on another. There are some other weird noises such as a bad bearing or you're freewheel. Some new motors even have a bent axle or it can be a bent axle and rubbing against the magnets.
That's all the options I can think of and I have a couple of those hanging in my garage.

My 1000w (30 amp controller @ 52V; 175 pound rider) exceeded 33 mph by GPS (I shut it down at that point), and I thought this one should be a little faster, but I haven't installed a speedo.

Will it run faster with halls disconnected? If your bike goes 30 mph or more I doubt it is the bearings. You should hear bad bearings by pedaling with motor off

Thanks; Good point; I haven't noticed the noise with the motor off (AIR). Surprisingly for socal it's been raining and I haven't had a chance to ride. We haven't had this much rain in the last 10 years.

You guys got a ton of snow from what I saw on the news today. Anyways, the Yescom customer service was pretty good to me and answered several questions, but the noise your motor makes seems normal to me. I've owned 3 brushless motors and they all make noise when accelerating.

My 1000w (30 amp controller @ 52V; 175 pound rider) exceeded 33 mph by GPS (I shut it down at that point), and I thought this one should be a little faster, but I haven't installed a speedo.
I got about the same speed with a lifepo4 pack @ 52.8v. But my kit is called a 1500 W 48V. I don't think buying a 52 v lithium ion will change that even if it is a 25 or 30 ah pack. My life packs are 20ah and 12 ah. 12 ah cuts out if running fast and far

Back