yescomusa throttle response horrible

Taiden

1 W
Hey all, I got a 48v1000w yescomusa front hub kit in the mail the other day. Just got around to installing and testing it out over this weekend.

I came from an Aeotema Brushed 24v kit. The throttle response on that is instant on and off.

The throttle response on the yescomusa kit is awful. It can take up to 2 seconds after you whack the throttle open to come up to full power. It takes about 1 second to even respond and another second to ramp up power. When you snap the throttle to the off position, it can take up to 1 second to ramp down power. Unlike the DC kit I have, it appears to provide about 1 second of ramp up or ramp down via software.

Anyone have experience with this or know if there is a way to adjust the controller to be more snappy?

If not, I suppose it's time for me to look into a better controller. Any suggestions?

Not sure what you mean by ramp up and ramp down. Are you testing with the wheel on or off the ground?

edit: also, what type of battery are you running?

:D

It sounds to me like your controller came programmed with some funny throttle settings to me.

Seems like quite a few dump that original yes controller fairly soon, might have to be real soon for you.

O.k., I am more clear on your ramp up and ramp down concept. Your brush-less motor might have had more torquey setup.

My Yescomusa motor does start off the line slowly because (I believe) that they are fast wind motors that have low torque of the line but have a good top end speed. At speed my controller kicks in immediately, but when I release it, it also stops supplying current to the motor immediately. Sounds to me like you are getting a smoother ride with the Yescomusa motor, but.....are you testing your motor with the wheel on or off the ground? Take your motored wheel off the ground and see how the throttle responds.

Also, what type of battery are you using?

All my yescom controllers were older models. Newer ones may have implimented the smooth throttle tech that allows for a slow ramp up in power from the controller. I've got a setting like that on the 72V controller I use. In normal operation if I just tap the throttle, the bike will jump using a 24s pack. If I flip the switch I installed, you have to move the throttle a lot to get it moving and the ramp up power is limited. I've gotten used to the non limited mode,but I used the slower mode when I let someone else ride it.

It's not a torque issue, it's literally a 1 second lag before any voltage makes it to the wheel, and then another 1 second while it "ramps up" power to the wheel. This is evident when you whack the throttle on and off quickly. On a gasoline motorcycle, or my brushed kit, you whack it on and it immediately puts power through the motor. On the yescomusa, it lags like said before. Just to be clear again, it has nothing to do with available torque.

Is there any way to reprogram this thing or play with settings that would effect this?

Answer my questions so we can move forward.

e-beach said:
Answer my questions so we can move forward.

I think this is his answer, 16s10p LiFePo4 16850 cells (2c constant discharge 5c pulse rated)

This sounds like my first Golden motor controller. Hit the throttle and it would slowly ramp up and the same when you let go of the throttle.
called a SOFT start controller. Some like it like that at high voltage. I didn't like the delayed shut down

the local bike shop had Currie test drive Saturday. The one I did ride did the same thing.
Also rode the Bosch 350watt mid drive. Very nice, but way too much money.

Dan

e-beach said:
Sounds to me like you are getting a smoother ride with the Yescomusa motor, but.....are you testing your motor with the wheel on or off the ground?

Does the same on the ground or off the ground.

Also, what type of battery are you using?

16s10p LiFePo4 16850 cells (2c constant discharge 5c pulse rated)

Thanks for your patience :)

Taiden said:
Does the same on the ground or off the ground.
.......16s10p LiFePo4 16850 cells (2c constant discharge 5c pulse rated)

Ok, both my Yescomusa controller have a "ramp-up" time when I am riding my bike, but not one second. In fact with my motored wheel off the ground the response time if I go WOT is almost instantaneous. That being said.....

Sounds like you have a couple of possibilities compounded by battery sag...part of your ramp-up is due to the low c rating of your LiFePO4 batteries sagging under sudden load. One way to check that is to put a power meter (watt meter) inline with your batteries, go wide open throttle and see if the meter goes maximum wattage instantaneously. If it goes maximum wattage instantaneously then you know it is not your controller. Most of us have a watt meter or two. They can be bought on ebay in the 20-25 dollar range. Maybe cheaper if you look.

Your 24v brush-less motor was undoubtedly a sensor-less motor and had a sensor-less controller. Sensored controllers are set up to be smoother at start-up and slow speeds. Full sine wave controllers are set up to be smoother still. But, a full second lag time seems a bit much.

But, before you replace your controller I would recommend testing or replacing your throttle. You will want to have a spare throttle on the shelf anyway in case of throttle failure so purchasing another one is not a bad practice.

The reason for this is that the linear hall sensor in your throttle is a tiny component that can go bad easily. I am now on my third throttle hall sensor in about three years. The magnetic pushing and pulling over time can wear them out and they can become less responsive over time to the point of not working properly or even at all. You may have gotten a bad one out of the box.

Testing your throttle is trickier but doable, if you have a 5v low amp power supply, an analog volt meter, (the digital ones have slower response times then a analog meter so a digital meter might be inaccurate in measurements) and four or five wires with alligator clips on both ends. Do you have that stuff for testing your throttle?

Also, what gauge wires are you running in your wiring from your battery to your controller? 10awg made a difference in response for me.

I would check for battery sag with a power (watt) meter and then the hall sensor in your throttle before going the the time and expense of replacing your controller.

Back