• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

ZombieSS's Official Greyborg Warp build thread LOTS OF PICs

The height should be adjustable by playing with the shock length. I have a 240mm shock installed and have it set to compress about 25% with my full weight on the bike.

A shock that is shorter will cause a more slack angle and lengthen the wheel base some, but these DNM forks are setup for downhill so they are long. A shorter fork with less travel combined with a shorter rear shock could be setup for a shorter person. I might try this if I build one for my wife, not sure if that will be possible though since she is 5' 0 and this frame is a large.

The Schlumpf takes standard square peg arms as far as I can tell. Doesn't appear to be anything special about them.

For the Aussies interested in the frame sets, contact zak@madmanebikes.com he is the Australian dealer

so the higher person, the longer shocks and forks recommended to keep the geometry right... does it make sense? I wonder how high up you will need to install your saddle to have powerful pedal strokes [straighen the leg almost fully] ..

Cool Zombiess! Could you give us an idea on weight for frame+19rim+tires? Cheers bro

Cicada said:
Cool Zombiess! Could you give us an idea on weight for frame+19rim+tires? Cheers bro

I think I posted it earlier but it's 86lbs as it sits right now.

I have a lot more pictures I need to post up.

very nice! can't wait to see that thing running! and i think that qualifies as a fat bike. why did you pick such large rims/tires? i know how much you like your 20" rims :lol: do you know how this compares to its predecessor (size wise)? the frame looks nearly identical but the swingarm might have added a bit on to the wheelbase? the bike looks pretty big, especially next to your wife!

It is a big bike. I wanted to go with a tire diameter that is closer to what most people will be running. I did not anticipate it becoming a fat tire bike though. Guess that's a bonus since I like a really cushy ride. From what I understand the frame is almost the same, but it was made slightly wider to accommodate 20AH A123 pouch cells. Wheel base does appear longer than the original swing arm which is a good thing considering how much power these motors can make. It's 54" axle to axle. The new swing arm/ shock design looks a lot better too, I believe it will function better as well. I am getting anxious to ride this.

I'm hoping the rest of my brake stuff comes this week so that I can install the dual 203mm front rotors and get the brakes working. I already have a used Hayes Stroker I can install on the rear. Then it's just a matter of choosing my chain ring size and installing the sclumpf/chain and it will be ridable by pedal only power. I already have lots of controllers, will install a 24 FET most likely.

Ok, going to do a picture dump and then come back and write some details on all of these. I want to get these up here before I forget or lose them. Even without detailed descriptions, these should help those who are building.

I will also be summarizing all of this at http://www.greyborgusa.com at some point. Documenting this stuff takes some time.

First Up,

The rear section of the bike / swing arm and motor mounting clearance pictures

swing arm assembly1.jpg

swing arm assembly2.jpg

swing arm assembly3.jpg

disc side motor spacer1.jpg

disc side motor spacer2.jpg

View attachment 16

disc wire clearance1.jpg

View attachment 14

View attachment 13

freewheel1.jpg

freewheel2.jpg

freewheel3.jpg

freewheel4.jpg

freewheel5.jpg

freewheel6.jpg

measure drop out 160mm width.jpg

measure offset disc side motor.jpg

measure offset freewheel side motor.jpg

disc side caliper clearance.jpg

John Bozi said:
hot pics,

whys the rear dropout 160?

Because of the way the designed the disc mount. I suspect in future versions they will be moving it flush with the outside of the swing arm which will allow the opening size to be reduced. When I go back and comment on these pics I will explain this, bit thank you for asking now. I want anyone who is building to understand that when they press on the swing arms that they must be at least 160mm widefor the read disc caliper to mount correctly. I guess technically I found another way of doing it if they are smaller by mounting the caliper on the other side, but it is not as easy since you need Costinquiry fabrication to make it work. I figured I would explain this method since it is the easiest. 160mm is Perth easy to achieve since the swing arm had a lot of play during assembly and even more could be added by making the holes slightly oblong.

I suck at fabrication but I can often see a solution to a problem. I just lack the skills to make the part and do the work to fix it.

the front tire clearance does look very tight.. are these bicycle tires or moped?
What battery will you take?

I like the warp frame. Lots of space for battery and nice cover over all components.

madin88 said:
the front tire clearance does look very tight.. are these bicycle tires or moped?
What battery will you take?

I like the warp frame. Lots of space for battery and nice cover over all components.

Shinko sr244 2.75 19" dual sport motor cycle tires. Fairly light for what they are. The setup is around 6lbs heavier per wheel than bicycle stuff. Not sure vs fat tire bicycle stuff, either way it's a very nice setup.

Zombies, you can shave another 2 pounds off your wheels by switching to the SR241 in the same size. Not a huge weight savings. Something to consider down the road when you wear out your SR244s. Figure about 4000 miles on the rear, and 10,000-12,000 miles on the front before the 244s are completely done with your hi Power cromo setup.:shock: YAH :twisted:

Rick

I'm no welder or frame engineer but just to put my worries to rest...

I'm wondering what those 4 screws that pull the swing arm together are made of, how long are they or how much teeth do they have in there. The welding could have been the full length too.

How much weight or force will be applied to that section... I imagine most will be on the bottom bracket crank hole (whatever you call it)

file.php

John Bozi said:
I'm no welder or frame engineer but just to put my worries to rest...

The person who designed this is a mechanical engineer.

If you are wondering about the cap screws, zoom in and you will see they are rated at 12.9 metric scale for strength. Lots of support in that area.

zombiess said:
I want anyone who is building to understand that when they press on the swing arms that they must be at least 160mm widefor the read disc caliper to mount correctly.

How do you ensure that it will be 160mm after its pressed in? The width seems to be determined by the 6 bolts that connect the two arms. I pressed mine in and tightened the bolts and the width is 159mm. I think that's good enough, because I can use spacers to widen it when the hub motor is mounted, right?

Just took my maiden ride. Pedal power only... 86lbs + 175lbs of me.

This frame is best suited for those close to 6ft tall unless you run a shorter rear shock or smaller tires.

I pedaled this beast for around 3/4th of a mile with 52t 16t gearing. I don't want to run out of battery or it will be the walk of shame for sure. Good news is my gearing choice should work really well under power. Pedaling this in the 1.65 high gear just isn't going to happen without power assist.

I took a 7 inch curb head on at around 10mph and went right up it and only slowed down a tad. Suspension is going to be nice once I get it dialed in.

Glad you got a complete rolling chasis going. WIth you on pedaling. For a while, I was pedaling my bomber up to 6 miles a day for work out purposes. To pedal my machine 6 miles on flat, took around 40 minutes. Mostly used 3rd gear even though I could use 5th with a tail wind. But thats all these machines are good for when pedaling without power, one hell of a leg workout. Whats the ETA on your build completion?

Rick

these machines are indeed not made for pedaling. I think the pedals are more a "lifeboat" so that we dont must wheel it home by foot if controller blow up. Or to joke other cyclists by passing them at 40mph with little pedaling.
Or to bluff the police :)

madin88 said:
these machines are indeed not made for pedaling. I think the pedals are more a "lifeboat" so that we dont must wheel it home by foot if controller blow up. Or to joke other cyclists by passing them at 40mph with little pedaling.

Yes, but be careful, not all cops are clueless. I personally know one cop that can spot an E bike out of a crowd of bikes in about .25 seconds. :mrgreen:

Rix said:
madin88 said:

Yes, but be careful, not all cops are clueless. I personally know one cop that can spot an E bike out of a crowd of bikes in about .25 seconds. :mrgreen:

Rix, are you a pig? Am I smelling bacon :lol:

Of course Fallon most likely only has a few officers since its so small.

Yah, you smell correclty. We don't have that many out here. Between City, County, Tribal, NHP, and NNCTF, we have about 85-90 sworn in my area. My buddy works for LASO Gang Net has 10,000 plus with his agency not including LAPD and surrounding which would easily exceed 25,000 in the LA Metro proper alone. So we don't even measure on that scale.

Rick

Back