0-60 Under Five Seconds

0 - 60 in 5 seconds or quicker.

Been there, done that, on two wheels. (No, I DON"T mean the two rear wheels of a car popping a wheelie.)

Total weight, including me, was about 550 pounds. Modified motor I estimate at 45 HP. Bike NOT optimized for acceleration. I estimate it could be done, same total weight, with maybe 35 or 40 HP optimized for acceleration to 60. You need a traction tire MUCH larger than a bicycle tire if you have enough torque.

Chalo has given you some really good advice. If you were to ever, somehow in safe conditions, to ride a plain bicycle at 50 or 60 mph and try to stop in less than the length of a football field, you would realize that you don't want to do it on a daily basis, or maybe never again.

There is a reason that bicycles designed to go 20 or maybe 30 MPH are light but motorcycles designed to go 60 MPH are much larger and heavier. The safely working brakes are much larger and heavier. The suspension, designed to keep traction and not break, is much larger and heavier. The frame, designed to not break and not break, and, did I mention, not break, is much larger and heavier. The tires and wheels are designed to maintain enough traction, and not blow out at an inconvenient moment, are much larger and heavier.

Long ago and far away, I put down a motor scooter at about 20 MPH running over a "pothole" that caught me completely by surprise. I rolled like a drum and skidded on the pavement on my stomach for what seemed like forever, and, left more skin on the pavement than I had been wanting to donate. At 60 MPH? No thanks.

Take my advice and wait until you have a motorcycle chassis designed for 60 until you do 60. I wouldn't want to go over 30 on a beach cruiser.

GONZ

I was looking at the colossus page and I was wondering if this would be suitable? I managed to get about 7ish pages in before I skipped around looking to find more updated information, what is the current deal with these motors? Can you still even purchase them?

I have been thinking about and really the hubmonster just sounds so awesome! Shipped to Michigan+duel controller set up controller capable of the 30kw peaks+battery pack how much will I expect to pay?

Seriously considering this I know that John said in one thread he was only using 250$ worth of controller but at only 15kw how much would I be looking at for 30kw of peak?

doctorGONZO said:
0 - 60 in 5 seconds or quicker.

Been there, done that, on two wheels. (No, I DON"T mean the two rear wheels of a car popping a wheelie.)

Total weight, including me, was about 550 pounds. Modified motor I estimate at 45 HP. Bike NOT optimized for acceleration. I estimate it could be done, same total weight, with maybe 35 or 40 HP optimized for acceleration to 60. You need a traction tire MUCH larger than a bicycle tire if you have enough torque.

Chalo has given you some really good advice. If you were to ever, somehow in safe conditions, to ride a plain bicycle at 50 or 60 mph and try to stop in less than the length of a football field, you would realize that you don't want to do it on a daily basis, or maybe never again.

There is a reason that bicycles designed to go 20 or maybe 30 MPH are light but motorcycles designed to go 60 MPH are much larger and heavier. The safely working brakes are much larger and heavier. The suspension, designed to keep traction and not break, is much larger and heavier. The frame, designed to not break and not break, and, did I mention, not break, is much larger and heavier. The tires and wheels are designed to maintain enough traction, and not blow out at an inconvenient moment, are much larger and heavier.

Long ago and far away, I put down a motor scooter at about 20 MPH running over a "pothole" that caught me completely by surprise. I rolled like a drum and skidded on the pavement on my stomach for what seemed like forever, and, left more skin on the pavement than I had been wanting to donate. At 60 MPH? No thanks.

Take my advice and wait until you have a motorcycle chassis designed for 60 until you do 60. I wouldn't want to go over 30 on a beach cruiser.

GONZ

Ehh, I was radar'd at 85mph on a tight kart track and still was able to make corners, even while I was running a bicycle front end still. It can be done and work pretty well still if you don't mind the occasional catastrophic wheels and fork and brake failures.

I like the way you think Luke :lol: are there any trike designs that are easy to build that can handle the kW of the hub monster that are easy to build?

Back