Street legal Cafe Racer build.

It feels good to have the time to work on the bike again.
This morning I made these bits:
Screenshot 2024-04-20 121301.png

I turned an M12 (should have been a 14 or 16) x 1.25 thread on the end of the output shaft and ground a 4 degree taper on the end.
The output flange does double duty as the oil seal face, so it took some work holding trickery to maintain it's surface finish. It has a matching taper on the ID. Finally there's a nut to hold them together.

The output flange bolts up to a flange on the drive shaft.
Screenshot 2024-04-20 122024.png

Made a few spacers from some stainless stock and got the front case mounted to the motor
Screenshot 2024-04-20 121226.png

It feels good to have the time to work on the bike again.
This morning I made these bits:
View attachment 351408

I turned an M12 (should have been a 14 or 16) x 1.25 thread on the end of the output shaft and ground a 4 degree taper on the end.
The output flange does double duty as the oil seal face, so it took some work holding trickery to maintain it's surface finish. It has a matching taper on the ID. Finally there's a nut to hold them together.

The output flange bolts up to a flange on the drive shaft.
View attachment 351409

Made a few spacers from some stainless stock and got the front case mounted to the motor
View attachment 351410
Is there a keyway between the output and coupling or just the M12 and taper fit holding the torque?

No keyway, just a tapered interference fit of the output coupling on the 25mm shaft.
Ok, I'm no mechanical engineer but have always noticed a keyway or splines when working on cars for power/torque transfer couplings. Based on the quality of your previous work in this build I'm sure you've done the calcs and it's all good.

Tap
Ok, I'm no mechanical engineer but have always noticed a keyway or splines when working on cars for power/torque transfer couplings. Based on the quality of your previous work in this build I'm sure you've done the calcs and it's all good
Taper fits are a little hard to calculate, but a shrink fit of 0.025mm (1 thou) in a 25mm shaft with 20mm of engagement is good for 200Nm of torque.

The hub section of the coupling is quite thin (35mm OD, with a 25mm bore), so the plan is to shrink and press fit the hub onto the shaft, then measure the OD to get a feel for how much stretch happened. If I can measure 0.05mm then I reckon it'll hold and I might still have a chance of getting it off one day.

Hey, if it slips, I'll put it back on, drill and slide a round key in there. Or just weld it....

Back