19" Motorcycle Wheels vs 26" Bicycle Wheels (rim and tires)

Nice. I'm jealous :?

Been busy with some work but I got time to finally post my 17x2.25 and 17x2.50 rims and tires on my V2100, spraypainted black with red lines :p

70be12054d37132a217fb5eb3da2dab0.png

Ugrd said:
Been busy with some work but I got time to finally post my 17x2.25 and 17x2.50 rims and tires on my V2100, spraypainted black with red lines :p

70be12054d37132a217fb5eb3da2dab0.png

Looks like a wheeling machine!

Jackrabbit said:
Wheels all built up. Will collect them tomorrow and complete my build. 19x1.85 Excel rims, V3 Cromotor and Ethirteen front hub.

Beautiful build.

Looks like the wheelbuilder drilled out those Excel rims at just the right angles for lacing 2 cross front and rear. Both look to have great alignment from spoke to nipple & that doesn't happen by accident!

voicecoils said:
Jackrabbit said:
Wheels all built up. Will collect them tomorrow and complete my build. 19x1.85 Excel rims, V3 Cromotor and Ethirteen front hub.

Beautiful build.

Looks like the wheelbuilder drilled out those Excel rims at just the right angles for lacing 2 cross front and rear. Both look to have great alignment from spoke to nipple & that doesn't happen by accident!

I missed that Abe, that is a 2X lace job, beautiful. One of yours?

Looks serious. Is that a Raptor frame?

Rix said:
voicecoils said:
Jackrabbit said:

Beautiful build.

I missed that Abe, that is a 2X lace job, beautiful. One of yours?

Not mine, I haven't shipped any wheel builds across the pond yet.

I would like to find some moto rims that suit 2 cross on big hubmotors without extra drilling. Strength+reliability should be at least as good if not better and 2 cross has a nice visual appeal to me.

unclejam said:

Yes, it's a Raptor. I'm not sure how I'm going to pass it off as a bicycle when the inevitable police stop happens. It looks a little more serious than I'd anticipated.

Jackrabbit said:
unclejam said:

Yes, it's a Raptor. I'm not sure how I'm going to pass it off as a bicycle when the inevitable police stop happens. It looks a little more serious than I'd anticipated.

My plan is simple: Don't actually stop! :wink:

richdeloup said:
19x1.85 Excel rims, V3 Cromotor and Ethirteen front hub.

Def a nice look to them with 2x. What spoke size and nipples were used to fit those Excel nipple holes, did you need washers?

The front are 12g and the rear are 10g. The rims were custom drilled for the motor and front hub. The guy who built them usually builds motocross & supermoto wheels. I'm not sure what size nipples he used but there are no washers.

Jackrabbit said:
richdeloup said:
19x1.85 Excel rims, V3 Cromotor and Ethirteen front hub.

Def a nice look to them with 2x. What spoke size and nipples were used to fit those Excel nipple holes, did you need washers?

The front are 12g and the rear are 10g. The rims were custom drilled for the motor and front hub. The guy who built them usually builds motocross & supermoto wheels. I'm not sure what size nipples he used but there are no washers.

That is a very awesome machine in progress Jackrabbit, looks sweet!

Does anyone have the issue when installing the tire the tube gets caught between the tire in the rim right above the valve stem? I guess because the valve stem flattens the tube in that area it gets caught easily between the tire and the rim. It must catch a very small amount but enough to make me think that if I drive like this it may damage the tube. If I release the air and push the tire in that area I can see the tip of the tube, but it is very difficult to get the tube completely inside the tire.

It happens to me almost every time I mount my tire so I assume it is a common problem, it is not so easy to spot unless you look for it and you will notice that the tire is slightly higher in that area after filling the tire with air. If you are not looking you would not notice and the tube would stay pinched there. I'm not sure if it would be an issue, but it may not be.

It is a bit of a pain to free the tube and I usually spend 5-10 minutes messing around with it, What I found works best is to let the air out and push the valve stem up all the way and then keep trying to refill it. Pushing the valve stem up must free the tube between the tire and rim, but it doesn't work every time.

I was wondering if someone has an easier solution to free the tube and has also noticed this problem?

Offroader said:
Does anyone have the issue when installing the tire the tube gets caught between the tire in the rim right above the valve stem? I guess because the valve stem flattens the tube in that area it gets caught easily between the tire and the rim. It must catch a very small amount but enough to make me think that if I drive like this it may damage the tube. If I release the air and push the tire in that area I can see the tip of the tube, but it is very difficult to get the tube completely inside the tire.

It happens to me almost every time I mount my tire so I assume it is a common problem, it is not so easy to spot unless you look for it and you will notice that the tire is slightly higher in that area after filling the tire with air. If you are not looking you would not notice and the tube would stay pinched there. I'm not sure if it would be an issue, but it may not be.

It is a bit of a pain to free the tube and I usually spend 5-10 minutes messing around with it, What I found works best is to let the air out and push the valve stem up all the way and then keep trying to refill it. Pushing the valve stem up must free the tube between the tire and rim, but it doesn't work every time.

I was wondering if someone has an easier solution to free the tube and has also noticed this problem?

Sometimes this happens to me, but I found that after mounting the tire, inflate it a little bit, say 15psi, then let the air out. After, got around the tire squeezing the side of the beed with your hands, this centers the tube in the tire, and ensures there is no tube twists, this should also help out with high spot around the valve stem area.

unclejam said:
Jackrabbit said:
unclejam said:

just make sure you have some sturdy riding gloves, a good nerve and knoledge of ped paths in the local area and you have a fighting chance :lol:

that black raptor looks deadly serious. be careful.

voicecoils said:
I would like to find some moto rims that suit 2 cross on big hubmotors without extra drilling. Strength+reliability should be at least as good if not better and 2 cross has a nice visual appeal to me.

I haven't found a rim maker with good extrusions that can handle the larger angles. Either they specialize in much heavier rims and can handle 25+ degree holes, or they specialize in medium to light weight rims and are limited at 18 to 20 degrees. So far we haven't had an issue with single cross on 17s or 19s with 12 to 10g spokes.

johnrobholmes said:
voicecoils said:
I haven't found a rim maker with good extrusions that can handle the larger angles. Either they specialize in much heavier rims and can handle 25+ degree holes, or they specialize in medium to light weight rims and are limited at 18 to 20 degrees. So far we haven't had an issue with single cross on 17s or 19s with 12 to 10g spokes.

Ok thanks, that's good to know. I haven't had problems with 1 cross either & a thicker/heavier rim would probably not be worth it just to get an extra cross in.

ridethelightning said:
unclejam said:
Jackrabbit said:

just make sure you have some sturdy riding gloves, a good nerve and knoledge of ped paths in the local area and you have a fighting chance :lol:

Cant outrun Motorola...

I would just stop, and if asked about it, talk about how its a serious downhill mountian bike... lol. never admit to a motor.. I dont see a motor. or chain. and where would the gas go? in the frame? officer you must be joking!

[/quote]

Cant outrun Motorola...

I would just stop, and if asked about it, talk about how its a serious downhill mountian bike... lol. never admit to a motor.. I dont see a motor. or chain. and where would the gas go? in the frame? officer you must be joking![/quote]

I got in from a good source that if you keep your bike speeds around 20mph, and pedal, or ghost pedal, the cops wont even notice you.

I'll just add my 2 cents here as a raptor owner, and a 165 raptor with a motorcycle seat, which is wider than the 140 raptor.

When you first build the bike you will feel it looks large, especially with the larger tires and the dual crown fork. However, after riding a few times you won't feel it is as large anymore and you will realize that nobody looks twice and nobody really cares, and this goes for the police. You will also feel it is not that large anymore also.

Now dealing with the police, first the police most likely won't care if you have a bicycle helmet on, they won't look at your bike. Just make sure you pedal when you see them.
If you wear a full face helmet then that will just look bad in my opinion. Police don't want to get involved I think because the laws are kind of unknown and they don't know how to deal with them.

Another thing is having a motorcycle tire on the front probably doesn't help as most people probably look I would think at the front wheel. The motorcycle tire on the front adds unnecessary weight which the fork wasn't designed for, isn't needed for an ebike, is smaller in diameter for less performance and change in geometry which you can't adjust for, will have higher rolling resistance while riding. And now will make the bike look less like a bicycle in your case.

I could be wrong here as I never tested a motorcycle tire on the front but I don't see the point. The other interesting thing is I still have my original duro razorback tire on the front after easily over 2000 miles and it still has knobs left on it and only once had a slow leak which was easy to fix compared to removing a motorcycle tire. Sorry guys I have always been negative about using a motorcycle rim and tire on the front, but think it is the best thing for the rear.

A good test would be to go lift up 7lbs (3.2) kg, move it up and down in your hand. This is all the weight that your front fork will have to constantly move around for almost nothing gained performance wise over a downhill rim and tire.

Back