2 speed transmision evolution----

Thud said:
FM,

12p,
You seem very interested in the machining procecess, A budding tool & die hobbyest? :) given I need to make accurate holes in qty. to fit these bearings, I made a series of mods & some new tools to do just that.

step 1) Is of course locating the first hole & clamping everything securly. Careful layout & wigglers work fine.
2) drill a pilot hole to depth. The pilot hole dia. is determined by of the chisle point of the next tool
3) drill the next rough dia hole to depth. I modified a 1"dia. drill bit for a very shallow point
4) bore the final dia with the boring tool. (this one is made to length to fit this set up & matches the
other tool lengths to ease tool changes without disrupting any positioning.
Here is a picture of the tools in sequence:
P1250001.jpg

the block to the far right is a simple setting gage to allow tool sharpening & repositioning back to correct.
diameter.
P1250005.jpg

here it is in use. the tool body is .75" cold rolled steel. a 3/16"sq. lathe tool cut & ground to fit,secured with 2 10-32 set screws.

Thank you sir, as always!!

Yea, I'm always interested in machinery processes. I'm a woodworker (EE for a living), and I've done just enough
metal work to get me in trouble. Anyway, as a fellow woodworker, you might enjoy these pics. It was all mortise and tenon joints,
and slots to fit the onyx panels into the frame. I used decorative perforated metal for the top panel and off the shelf cabinet knobs
for the feet.
lamp.JPG

It was a Christmas present for my girlfriend.
Sorry to clog up the ebike thread with woodbutcher pics.. :wink: :lol: But since it's Thuds thread, I'm gonna step out on a limb here,
and assume you don't mind since you have already intermingled the two topics...

See, this is why endless sphere is so baddass... Where else can I go to get my ideas, electronics, metals, machinery, woodworking, and ebike cravings
taken care of all in one place!!!!

Mud,
I am using a mill. (old smithy 3-1 machine...very flexible flyer) medium slow rpm's. correct feed rates & the most important item:
properly tightend gibs on the machine. (this is a quite stiff set up)
A lot of newer machinests are not aware that you can adjust your machine to get the results you desire.

Another tip is properly sharpend tool.
The pilot hole should only be the dia of the chisle point.
opening a .75" hole with a 1"dia drill is begging for chatter & drift. not enough load on the cutting edge to stabilise the tool.

I tightened the gibs recently, but I was definitely drilling too large of a pilot hole

thanks for the info, I'm going to try again w/ a smaller pilot hole this time :D

WOW! has this thread gone stale....page 7 sheese,
Here is an updat:
after looking ay all my work in the shafts & sprockets sitting on the shelf, dejected & wanting porpose. I finaly got annoyed enough to abandon the cast cases & the closed oil bath on this run & get these assembled to clear work space.
Here is the latest iteration of the 2 speeds case. (I actualy cut the sides out this morning before work) have a look over. The case cover/dust sheild will likely be 1/8" plexy in some color.....much like the original.
I included a pdf with measurements, will finish the drawings in my "spare" time & add them so any one with the determination can use them.
View attachment 1

I have parts machined for 5 units & they are all spoken for, thus the drawings for the rest.
to the guy's who have been waiting, sorry & progress has commenced on this again.

WOW! Cool project! I always wanted to learn how to do casting. Are these going to be for sale? If so, any idea of how much? What ratios will be available? Very cool Thud! I am totally Impressed!
-Bryan

As the rc movement takes another step forward in the advancement of this hobby the frock bois
break out their soldering irons and duct tape to assemble more packs to tape to their frames
drill more holes in their motors to cool them all in the vain attempt to keep up with
the times.. :mrgreen:

Awesome work Thudster, can't wait to get one of these on the cruiser
waaaaaaaaaa :: clunk ::: WAAAAAAAAAA :p :mrgreen: :lol:

KiM

Whiplash,
low speed reduction is 1.86-1
the high gear is 1-1 or 1.3-1

the prototype is 1.86 & 1.1 & I think that is about ideal for a comuter.

For perforance applications, I am leaning toward a 3 speed. (its all on paper & I wil have the stock next week) 1st for a hard launch. 2nd will put the motor in the meat of the effiency range at avaerage cornering speeds of the P1 track in Tuscon, 3rd is just a bump in range to give it some legs on the straights.
Not a close raitio by any means, but selectable gearing does it intended pourpose of unloading the motor & minimising the amp draw/heating over the extended range it provides.

I want every advantage I can build.
The prototype was built very light & I am suprised it is still running strong after 9 months of abuse. (it is showing signs of wear) I have abandond gates drive belts on the primary reductions, the rc motors are loud enough alone to negate any ideas of being stealth & I have no need for be stealth with these race builds.
I will have 14kw burst capability on the power package(assuming I can get a controller package to hold up to the strain)
My camera has died but get ready for some updates in this & my other threads.......

I am thinking of my next bike with the R/C drive and having a low range for climbing, etc. And a high range for road going... Any idea on price yet for the two speed with the widest ratio?

Whiplash,
All of this run spoken for...But I am getting my cnc online this weekend & may start offering some of my projects on a more regular basis. I really dont think I want a full time job (any time job truth be told :lol: ) making this particular unit any way....too many parts & even with the cnc online, it is extreamly labor intensive . No way I can charge a living wage on these. I only built the 1st one to try it out & use a tiny motor on my bmx bike.

I have friends with a production machine shop & I keep intending to see what he would charge for limited quanities for some parts. I will re-evaluate it as a product & maby see if any one is interested in manufacturing them in better quantitys & more often than I am willing too.

Matt: baby in the head with a mallet?..LMAO...that is sic.

Amberwolf: the street that runs past my local post offic has been under construction & I have been really distracted the last week (& forgetfull to...) I promins your shaft will be in the mail this week.

Noticed it's my 6 year aniversary today. I don't remeber the crash but I remeber the date.
2004-vintage race- shattered elbow,broken ulna,torn rotator,3 broken ribs,concusion,dislocated hip. stuck throttle 88' CR250
(still re-habing, lost 15deg in the left arm & numbness is an issue at times/nerv damage in left hip is actually getting better this year with my bicycle-primary training regiem)
1887-86 CR500- broken right foot (slid wide in practice & cought a burried track marker-no crash)
1986-Mountain bike incident-broken right scapula,torn trapezus muscels & tendons. dislocated ribs at sternum.(cost me #1 plate in open class that year...bunny hop from street onto side walk & threw the chain at speed.& me into a cyclone fence, stupid bicycles!)
1984-cr250-broken right foot- wraped it aroung the footpeg at a sand race (no crash)
1980-YZ465-broken right foot....stupid Laugh-in type incident----rode a wheelie into a bluberry bush. bike tiped over while stopped & landed perfectly on my heel as i was getting off the ground.
thats enough nostalga for now.
(BTW.I intend to do a couple races this year in the fall :mrgreen: )

Hell, that is almost as painful as my 7 year anniversary will be! (LOL, Just kidding baby) Seriously though, that is a crap load of right foot breaks! Does it still work? I thought I had crashed a lot!

LMAO!
I seen pics of that bike before.....I think I know the model for that body!

Thud said:
LMAO!
I seen pics of that bike before.....I think I know the model for that body!

hehe yeah, i got it in an email today was amongst a heap of unusual motorcycle build pics... When i saw the above pic couldn't resist photo chopping your head on it, couldn't put Hyenas head on it wouldn't make sense....the bike being 'female' and all...needed a M.EN.S members head :mrgreen:

KiM

AJ's tranny coming together,
Amberwolf, Thanks again for the card reader. I thought it was wrong untill i took a 2nd look....duh! it works perfectly.
Picture002.jpg

Picture001.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Card readers, what are we into fellas? Hopefully not smartcards :)

Tranny is coming along and that bike above is just sick, I love em.

-Mike

WOOTz PiCz!! Looks like you have most/all the machining done for bearings and mounting holes Thudster
just needs clean up anodising and assembly i asumez... Great stuff mate...actually appears shorter
in pics than the plans dimensions :: breaks out rule again:: LoL.. :)

mwkeefer...that is Thudster on that bike too...well hehe the head is 100% Thudster no idea who the body belongs too
bit on the lightweight side to be our Thud hehe...

KiM

I want one!! Thud, are you gonna post some pics of the internals so enterprising folks can copy? :twisted:

etard said:
I want one!! Thud, are you gonna post some pics of the internals so enterprising folks can copy? :twisted:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/download/file.php?id=42841

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/download/file.php?id=44065

KiM

E-tard
I will break out all the pcs & part drawings when I get the time & post them in the resource section. You can make them till your hearts content!
There are a bunch of photo's of the typical parts in My 1st build thread. but if your looking for actual mesurents & details you will need to be patient...

I have a newer version oll drawn up that will cut macining time in 1/2 & the parts are a little more expensive..no where near as "spenciff" as my time though.

Looking good Kim. I bet you cant wait to get that box of tricks from Thud :D May I suggest arming yourself with a big pile of bungee cords and strap yourself firmly into your new bobber seat before letting that monster rip - we dont want you falling off the back :mrgreen:

Regards
Tom

+1 :lol:

TopCat said:
I bet you cant wait to get that box of tricks from Thud :D May I suggest arming yourself with a big pile of bungee cords and strap yourself firmly into your new bobber seat before letting that monster rip - we dont want you falling off the back :mrgreen:

I was wheeling myself around the garage making :: waaaaaaaaaa:: clunk ::WAAAAAAAAAA:: noises yesterday afternoon in excitement after seeing the pic of the 2 Speed Thudster Box and motor spinning up :mrgreen: hehehee... All in good time :wink:

Deec...you get in enough trouble with one speed let alone two buddy :mrgreen:

KiM

Awesome Todd, thanks for taking the time to do that. If you could
post up the link when you fet that done, that would be great. I just got a Rusnok manual mill and a South Bend lathe that I'm itching to start a project with, I think this would be great to try. Don't know if I can pull it off, but sure would like to end with a two speed tranny though!!
Are one these two speed trannies gonna be at the Spooky Tooth Death Race to represent us? Dogman, maybe?

Back