2 speed transmision evolution----

Here you go Dave,

Its all there....looking foward to seeing what any one does with it! :p
if any one wants to try one I am more than happy to consult on the tricky parts.....not really looking to produce them LOL.
I have more fun doing the development....production is a total grind for me.
Enjoy every one. T

The death race bike will have a new design 3 speed :mrgreen: You should make the trip....I have every intention of participating myself.......looking foward to the 30 hr drive..... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :shock: :twisted:

Ah, come on, you gotta drive there on the bike maaan!

You should arrange your route to come thru Phoenix, to visit my "labs". :lol:

Oh, I keep meaning to ask...I know this is a 2-speed, but other than at the control mechanism, is there an easy way to give it a detent to hold it in "neutral"? Or even a way to spring load it to always return there if not being held in one of the gears?

Hey Amberwolf,
I full well intend to plan a route that will let me meet a few members across the country. like an 2 hour lunch in a town along the way that a few guys could meet up & get a few photo's & such....it will be a blast.

Idealy, we can get a cross country caravan rolling into the south west next spring. I will hit up JRH & some others & see if we can get some "Sphere" represntation in the spectical that is .....The DEATH RACE!

I will definatly be in touch when the date aproaches. Thanxs for the invite.
Thud.

Thud said:
Idealy, we can get a cross country caravan rolling into the south west next spring. I will hit up JRH & some others & see if we can get some "Sphere" represntation in the spectical that is .....The DEATH RACE!

Don't forget to call in on Safe, Thud ...he is ' just' around the corner from John I believe hehe :lol: :mrgreen:

KiM

lol...Maybe John could look him up & car pool together....would be great to meet the legend.....
Unfortunatly the man has no interest in racing bikes....Just making a buck if the idea catches....

QUIT pushing buttons AJ (ya troublemaker!) I was having a lovely day now I am reminded of how old & fat I am....& selfish & frustraighted, lets see what else are mature riders? I think we need a 500 watt max race....if 1k is good... less is more!
imagine the spectating thrills. & the terror of the riders carrening aorund the track...leaving slime trails on the track like slugs.
Next event. a 9volt demolition derby......or flag tag on e-bikes (that actualy might might be fun)

hahaha... too funny, :p seriously...you should call in on him though, visit his "personal race track" (vacated housing estate)
LoL...you could smash both his lap records and his hopes and dreams all before Lunch and be on your way to the Death Race :mrgreen: :p

KiM

Damn dude! posting up that two speed drawing is like slapping me across the face, now I want to build one! :twisted: Seriously, you have some great skills and I'm sure there is a place for you one day with virgins riding ebikes, at least 7. :lol: But for now, ES has to win this death race! If this 2 speed tranny with dual HV 160's powering Thud's Frankienmotor can't do it, then Matt we are gonna have to borrow the PK Ripper for a few days. :wink:

Let's get a pit crew going and make a serious effort, I am marking the calendar now that you're comin out Thud, should be a ton of fun, a little bit of comeraderie, and a whole lot of ICE woopin'!! :p

+1 on taking it home for EndlessSphere at the spookytooth!!

a 2 speed tranny + massive RC motors = the start of a next generation...

bump:

Assembling another 2-speed to hook onto my re-wound CA-120......Just to have some back up, I thought I would make it multi motor capable.

Since I am re-winding motors to very gearing friendly KV I can eliminate the primary stage of reduction & put the 2-speed drive sprockets directly onto the motors 12mm shafts. 1 less thing to make a gard for!!!!

So It will accept a ca-120 running 72v on a xie-chang or a pr of 80mm turnigys running castle controllers at 48v as a last line of defence. I'll pretty it up a bit & get some bling rolling.....

View attachment 2
View attachment 1

The motors will be linked with a #25 chain & will incorperate a sprag bearing so the motors can sync without interfearance from each other.

What's with the long shafts?? Are you overcompensating for something? :lol:

Seriously, looks great man, most serious racers rebuild after every race, so you can just toss that thing my direction after the race. :wink:

I get that black crap on my hands too when winding motors. I always wonder if it is some lead coating or something equally toxic.

Lookin nice! You are going to be a pro at winding!

johnrobholmes said:
Lookin nice! You are going to be a pro at winding!

I think if we replace"going to" with "is" in above sentence it will
be more correct there John ;)

recumpence said:
Ha! The Thudster is into twin motors now.
Ahh, yes, we have a convert, Gentlemen!

Should make the long wheelbase bike these are going on PiiiiiiiS
for how long will obviously depend on ThudSTeRs heavy right hand and
the controller's ability to cope with his "wishes" LoL..

Strap it on Thud we want Videooooo :lol:

KiM

hehe, just a reminder....this is the back up system for the death race.
My #1 choice will be my monster CA-120 on 72v through a different 2-speed :twisted:

I havn't fit the shafts to it yet...the #1 motor shaft will have the drive sprockets for the tranny extended into a support bearing on its end..(no external chains...hurray!) oops I forgot...if I use 2 motors the pony motor will have a stub shaft off the can & be linked to the oher with a #25 chain....

JRH, that is mostly dykem residue & I had just finished laping the bushings to the main shaft..i am suprised my hands were as clean as the apeared......that power package is 6.5" long. that race spec 2-speed box is 2.75"w x 6"l x 3"h the motors over hang the ends just a little bit.

Bump:
Any one coveting a 2-speed tranny is in luck. I spent the weekend fufilling some old comitments & machining some parts for assembly.

As for the list of guys waiting for motor mounts...I been trying to get to that(need to cast a few more mounts befor setting up the lathe) But you are not forgoten.

here is a link to the sales thread....ask questions in this thread please.
I will add some photos showing the current evolution & mounting options later on (prolly tonight if nothing happens)

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=30179

pile o parts (lot of hours in this pile)
P7260093-1.jpg

wider shot of the parts festival. the 2-boxws assembled are my weight wenie units made with ultralight every thing:
P7260092-1.jpg

the sides are 1/4"t instead of the 3/8" of the sale units. & I am using the tiny .5"id x .75 od bearings over the .5 x 1.125" that i use in the production units.
P7260094.jpg

if i get it all togetherin time I am taking a feather weight racer to the detroit Maker fair race for some chuckles.

Thud said:
pile o parts (lot of hours in this pile)
P7260093-1.jpg

if i get it all togetherin time I am taking a feather weight racer to the detroit Maker fair race for some chuckles.
It's like expensive jewelry... really, beautiful work & finish 1st class & maybe 1st place too :!: :twisted: :D

Awesome thud you just moved up a step in my books!

Arlo1 said:
Awesome thud you just moved up a step in my books!

Only moved up now?!@#! WTF Arlo1!?! :p

Thud isn't even in the book because, HE WROTE the fuckin' book!!! LoL :mrgreen: :p

As always great to see product pics from the ThudSTaR 8) cave, some luck peeps
are going to have some GINORMOUS ev-grins when they hookz these up on their rides
they are sooooo addictive, i suggest those ordering these also order a few more lipo
you will be chewing through the packs lemme tell you waaaaaaaaa :: clunk :: WAAAAAAAA

ThudSTeR 2 Speeds FTMFW 8) :lol:

KiM

I've been really trying to figure out out how to fit one of your two speeds into the bike I'm working on.......trying to figure out how to get in the budget too!

Anyway, I'm very interested in the weight weenie design. What do you think about going to aluminum sprockets and 219 o-ring chain?

:twisted:

Thanks for the support gang. :oops:

Arlo1, your work on that colossus makes you a hero in my book.

mdd0127,
I see aluminum sprockets as a fail...once the material is scaled down to this size...titainium maybe :p
& you have a source for o-ring 219?

I have worked hard to get this as small as posible. Not counting the motor mounting, you only need 2.75" x 3" x 4.75" (70mm x 76mm x 121mm) add 10mm (.375") to any of those dimensions for the shift actuator arm.

The issue for me is chain growth on rear suspensions.....current Bicycle stuff is way to crowded & ovely complex.
So its frame time for thud soon enough & being a minimalist should make it interesting.

Another issue is getting a reliable drive to the rear wheel. I absolutly Love to keep all freewheeling on the rear wheel. zero drag when pedaling & the RC systems are so light weight you dont even notice it. (its nice to pedal back to the pits when your motors or speed controllers explode LOL)

I been goofing with some grinding equipment to be able to cut splines into a hardednd (less expensive) free wheel but the operation is super slow & expensive for the tiny cutting wheels to do it. May bite the bullet for the White freewheels & broach them to fit the free hub & be done with it.

I have a thread roller now for 12g spokes & may just offer rear wheels ready to bolt on for serial drive to the guys dying to try an RC set up.

I am fabbing up the final mountings tonight & that will expose my hand for my frame building exploits to come.

I've been getting 219 o-ring from the karting parts places. It isn't cheap but it looks great, is super burly, and is surprisingly quiet. I think that aluminum 7075 aluminum sprockets will last quite a while if you stay above a 20 tooth in size. Also, I've found that the tooth profile that's being used by most manufacturers...and the one that sprocketeer makes, isn't a very good profile. I made some small adjustments to the tooth shape and made a 16t idler and it runs twice as smooth as an azusa sprocket. I'm betting it will wear well too.

You're totally on track about it being time to build frames thing. I figured I'd convert a hardtail, just to get something on the ground fast and it was far from fast. Between tailoring my designs to the tools I have available and accounting for every little detail necessary to get things lined up right, I might as well have built a frame from scratch. Lesson learned.

About the rear freewheel, I really like CSK35PP's for this, or a csk25 it it's at the reduction output. On my current build, the freewheel is in the reduction output so the chain always moves but it really doesn't add much drag or noise....not enough to bother me anyway. I'd still rather have the freewheel in the rear so I've been mulling around the idea of making a csk35 to 44mm disc adapter setup. Lots of little parts to make and support bearings are necessary too but I think it will work on some hubs/frames.

Anyway, I'd love to see a small lightweight 2-speed!

Back