3000W alibaba hub motor good?

Animalector said:
I have to say their English is way way better than my Chinese. So kudos to them
Andy
thats true but unfortunately the technical translation on many alibaba articles are awful..

anyone know the kv of this motor?

More good news, they just told me it's a 14mm axle, not the 16mm axle they advertise. I can get a 16mm, but it's going to take more time.

All I can say is if you plan to order off of a site like this, you better make sure you know exactly what you want and hope that's what you will get. Pretty typical in my experience. If I didn't want I think is going to be a higher KV motor I'd just put a Cromotor in it. I have a V1 left here.

Any idea how you will do the payment?
Paypal? Or the "escrow" service alibaba is offering?

I'd be afraid of a Chinese scam... :|

stefaantje said:
Any idea how you will do the payment?
Paypal? Or the "escrow" service alibaba is offering?

I'd be afraid of a Chinese scam... :|

It means that when you pay Alibaba/Aliexpress hold onto your money until you tell them the goods have arrived safely, then they pay your supplier.
Check the items properly, once paid you have no chance of getting the money back, or a discount.
Good idea, but in the case of diputes (if you search the web) you'll find that ali**** decisions frequently favour the supplier.

It's a bit of a gamble, but it seems like some are willing to work with you.

I'm in constant contact and discussions with a company in China I found on Alibaba and they have been awesome to work with so far. They did forget an item I ordered and are shipping it, they also helped me source some other parts I needed and helped me get them for less than 1/2 the cost I could do so myself.

Well first challange, Mistake with Shipping so they are asking for more money "sorry we quoted shipping to USA not Australia it will be another $80USD"

I have requested photos of all the parts which are apparently ready, if they cannot provide I will request a paypal refund.

I am still optimistic, As zombiess said, I have also found suppliers for other items on Alibaba and have had no problems, with good results.

Andy

Animalector said:
Well first challange, Mistake with Shipping so they are asking for more money "sorry we quoted shipping to USA not Australia it will be another $80USD"

I have requested photos of all the parts which are apparently ready, if they cannot provide I will request a paypal refund.

I am still optimistic, As zombiess said, I have also found suppliers for other items on Alibaba and have had no problems, with good results.

Andy

That shipping doesn't make sense since Oz is closer right? I know Aus customs will probably bone you on the import duty though, seems like every country but the USA has some crazy VAT or other duties.

I don't know if I buy their extra $80 charge.

This is the stuff people don't realize, go back to the first link in this thread and look at the ad. $250-300 is the price... I'm up to $580 with shipping and a matching front 17" rim Several emails to clarify exactly what I want as well.

I'm beginning to wonder if I should have just gone with the brand new V1 Cromotor I have here and replace it's hairline cracked side cover (I have spares now). Curiosity and trying different things keeps getting the better of me :oops:

Yes I haven't talked about Australia being closer yet. My investment is the same as yours for similar parts.

As I said if they cannot show the goods with some photos in an email, refund time. if they can, well good.

Andy

iv done a few others around $2000 from oversea, NO GST was charged to me, when i went through a separate customs broker with a large order from china, you def pay for it all then

I can't believe you guys are still talking about this thing. It has 42mm magnets, so it's a 40mm stator. Guess what? You're about 5 years late. I picked up well built 40mm 16rpm/volt motors in 2008, including controller, moto rim (14" or 17"), DC/DC converter, and ceramic connection blocks for a whopping $125 per set, and I paid an additional $75/ea for shipping and taxes. The only difference I see here is disc brake instead of drum and colored rims. Of course no one was interested in 2008, 2009 or 2010.

My suggestion is to stay away from these middleman marketers and deal directly with the factory or it's direct agents.

The price of neodymium magnets alone is up 300% over what it was in 2008. Those deals can no longer be found. Let's talk about what can be found today :)

Yeah, i'll take two :lol:

Anyway, a side note about this company.. one person on the endless sphere facebook page inquired as to the kV, weight, dropout size etc and got different information than what's listed. Then this company told someone else different figures. I see different figures here, too.

I don't think they know what the hell they are selling. I would always steer clear of sellers like this.

well so far I am in for an order, and have paid.. so supposedly Monday I will get photos of my actual order. until then I am hopeful. otherwise I will be requesting a refund if they don't comply. I'll request it through Paypal..

Andy

neptronix said:
The price of neodymium magnets alone is up 300% over what it was in 2008. Those deals can no longer be found. Let's talk about what can be found today :)

Last time I checked with them the price wasn't up as much as you'd think, and certainly nothing like what some larcenous outfits are charging for motors made with generic parts of an outdated design. The point is that those 85-86% peak efficiency designs are old news, so you guys need to catch up. When the crazy bargains were available no one was interested.

If price is all that matters, all you have to do is check Craig's list. Spend less money on experimental purchases and get multiple good quality motors for a fraction of the price buying scooters and mopeds that don't work. No shipping costs or delays, and you can see first hand what you are buying and buy locally.

Most people here are interested in buying hub motors that fit bicycles and don't require fabrication or small wheels that involve compromised geometry on a regular frame. Otherwise you would be a millionaire selling your efun motors :mrgreen:

If you can find some $175 40mm bicycle-dropout-compatible motors for sale today, then surely the forum is all ears. We could end this thread right here. :lol: otherwise it's not really relevant to the discussion to talk about awesome deals you got in 2008. Motors based on neodymium magnets will never be that cheap again.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/03/business/03rare.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

http://www.amazingmagnets.com/t-Historical-Pricing-Neodymium-Oxide.aspx

pu212.png

neptronix said:
Most people here are interested in buying hub motors that fit bicycles and don't require fabrication or small wheels that involve compromised geometry on a regular frame.

Well put.

It's like when folks get jazzed about the amazing specific output of model airplane motors. After the noise, inefficiency, and general pain in the butt of a multi-stage reduction come into the equation, it's just not that exciting anymore.

neptronix said:
Most people here are interested in buying hub motors that fit bicycles and don't require fabrication or small wheels that involve compromised geometry on a regular frame. Otherwise you would be a millionaire selling your efun motors :mrgreen:

If you can find some $175 40mm bicycle-dropout-compatible motors for sale today, then surely the forum is all ears. We could end this thread right here. :lol: otherwise it's not really relevant to the discussion to talk about awesome deals you got in 2008. Motors based on neodymium magnets will never be that cheap again.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/03/business/03rare.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

http://www.amazingmagnets.com/t-Historical-Pricing-Neodymium-Oxide.aspx

pu212.png

I'm pretty sure those are export prices. Some of china's manufacturers probably get a sweet deal on the native neo.

Why would they? (Other than corrupt double dealing, of course.) Selling feedstock to a native manufacturer for a low margin that could easily be sold abroad for a fat margin is just robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Chalo said:
neptronix said:
Most people here are interested in buying hub motors that fit bicycles and don't require fabrication or small wheels that involve compromised geometry on a regular frame.

Well put.

If people put half as much thought into choosing the appropriate bike as they did their hub motor, then it wouldn't be a problem. Inevitably, they'd be lead to a 20" rear wheel recumbent.

Back