A Very Very Low Cost Electric Bike from Pakistan

numberonebikeslover said:
I would really appreciate a little help in sorting out the configuration of lithium Pack in combination with Lead acid pack.

Yours Respectfully
Naeem

It doesn't work out well for a single 12v battery, but if your total pack is 48v, you can find a reasonable match. Under load, a typical lead-acid 12v battery will be something like 12.5v, and work its way down to 12.0v or less by the time it's fully discharged. Hot off the charger; 14.5v-15v.

Typical Li laptop batteries might be around 3.6v - 3.7v/cell under load. Around 4.2v hot off the charger.

So for a nominal 48v system, 4 series 12v lead-acid batteries range from around 58-60v at end of charge.
If you parallel 14s lithium batteries to this pack, at end of charge, that would be 4.14v to 4.28v per cell and around 3.43v per cell toward end of discharge, which should be in the healthy range for lithium laptop cells.

If this ratio works out, you could also do 2 series 12v batteries and 7 series lithium for a 24v system.

I remember there was a lot of discussion about limiting the current between the two packs, but I think at least one guy did it without any kind of limiting. A fuse between them would be an excellent idea though. Some other kind of current limiting would be good, but could get complicated. A large PTC may be one solution. PTCs are often found in computer equipment and look like a disk capacitor. They have a low resistance at room temperature, but the resistance rises rapidly above a certain temperature. It functions like a self-resetting circuit breaker. Standard automotive self-resetting circuit breakers might work as well.

fechter said:
I remember there was a lot of discussion about limiting the current between the two packs, but I think at least one guy did it without any kind of limiting. A fuse between them would be an excellent idea though. Some other kind of current limiting would be good, but could get complicated. A large PTC may be one solution. PTCs are often found in computer equipment and look like a disk capacitor. They have a low resistance at room temperature, but the resistance rises rapidly above a certain temperature. It functions like a self-resetting circuit breaker. Standard automotive self-resetting circuit breakers might work as well.

Sorry for being ignorant but why is there a need to limit the current between two packs (lead acid and lithium)? About self resetting circuit breakers, we have plenty for AC powered equipments, specially for fridges. for my small fridge which draws about less then 200 watt @ 220 volt I have a 3 amps circuit breaker. If suppose the compressor motor got stuck due to low voltage or any other reason the circuit breaker would cut off mechanically. It could only be reset manually by hand. It does not do that automatically. We can use LM 741 IC to make a logical relay switch to do the needful more efficiently.
Naeem

The reason for the current limiting is to make sure the discharge current on the lithium pack never gets over the safe limit. Under high load, the lead pack voltage will sag and more current will come from the lithium pack. If the lithium pack current goes too high, it could be damaged or even burn. In practice, it seems this doesn't happen too often, but if one of the lead cells went bad, you could easily destroy the lithium pack.

A fuse or circuit breaker would prevent pack destruction. You just wouldn't want it to trip all the time. The simplest way to limit the current would be to connect the two packs by a somewhat long piece of wire that would act like a resistor. Under high load at the point where the lithium pack current is near its limit, the voltage difference between the packs might be 1-2v (wild guess). If the wire resistance was enough, it would keep the fuse from blowing. The high-tech approach would be to use some kind of dc-dc converter that limits the current. With a dc-dc converter, the pack voltages don't need to match as the converter can take care of this.

Hello every body;

Yesterday I left the bike switch on with throttle at zero. The relay was consuming the single battery in the whole pack and when after 24 hours I came back to it, the battery was dangerously low. After charging it back again,
after a long time I took the bike for a long ride which was about 15 km. No problem all the way back home. Eid festival is on Saturday and that is the reason I had to face a lot of traffic. Stop and start all the way although it was night (9:00 pm). On my way back I thought of this circuit design (following diagram). I thought may be if a make a voltage regulator / DC to DC converter which puts the load of the relay and all the 12 volt load to put its pressure uniformly on the entire pack and not just one battery.

Is it gona work? I am not that good in electronics.

Thanks Mr. Fechter I really seek for your guidance all the way and you have always extending your support and help. I appreciate it a lot. What do you think about the following circuit? Mosfet which is readily available is IRFP 250N and IRFP 150N. What should be the resistance value for my project. I guess 50 K variable to adjust it to 12volt and leave it there. The center pin of variable which goes to gate also might need a resistance in order to limit the amps down for the gate of MOSFET. What value would be good there?

Attachments

• DC voltage regulator.JPG
    DC voltage regulator.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 4,026
Hey, Numberone!

Just wondering if you made any mechanical changes lately? Is that front brake performing well enough? I've considered converting my calliper brake to a V-brake. Anyway, If you have changed anything mechanical, I'd be interested in updated photos. Keep up the good work. GO EBIKES!

Cyclebutt said:
Hey, Numberone!

Just wondering if you made any mechanical changes lately? Is that front brake performing well enough? I've considered converting my calliper brake to a V-brake. Anyway, If you have changed anything mechanical, I'd be interested in updated photos. Keep up the good work. GO EBIKES!

Cyclebutt;

It is good to hear from you. You know what, my this bike has always been center of my attention. I have been making so many changes on daily basis. I am so busy with my office and then my bike back home I get letting time to communicate and keep track of every change at times. Most of the time I try to keep my friends updated about any change. Only last time I mentioned a change in the handle bar which was bent to clear the front view. It made the bike more stable in steering.

Yesterday I went to the market and after buying some breakfast (we call it Halwa Poori) I found out that throttle wires were broken. A guy told me that it was the kids messing with the bike. Oh God! I don't know what these kids want from my bike? But I thank them that they let me know a point in my bike which could easily be messed up. So I came back home and passed the wires in such that it can't be accessed that easily.

About the front breaks, I definately need some good breaks there for sure. for the time being I have caliper breaks which are not really sufficient. Thanks for reminding me of it.

Today it is Eid festival and I'm just about to go to prayers of Eid. I wish you all the best of Luck and may Allah shower His blessings upon you all.

Salamun Alaykum Warahmatullah.

Muhammad Naeem Zahid

hello our friend,sad day here and in your hometown,we have a big hurricane coming in here(Sandy) and your speakers are not allowed-to speak here...for purely political reasons....

http://tribune.com.pk/story/457501/struck-down-imran-khan-offloaded-from-us-bound-flight-in-canada/

I'm a decorated ,retired,Canadian veteran and I'm embarrassed and sad like this man wont be allowed anymore...because he supports the people in Palestine...George Galloway...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=Au5HVoZokJg

this one is good too,if your a cunning linguist connoisseur too..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4LDQixpCa8

why is it that when Gandhi spoke he wasn't listened to unless he was politically persecuted...

http://history1900s.about.com/od/people/a/gandhi_4.htm

i donut support Our dear leader Harper,nor do i support Obama/Romney....i support peace for the billions of us free thin-kin e-biker es!!!!!!!!!!

I'm glad your here ,my friend ,and I'm glad ES and the man who sent ya some moneys ....we have a open forum for speak!

IMO lost and angry that your not here as free as us?

its the little people like us who ride e-bikes -who will change the world for the better.....lets eat the rich!
Cheers mate!

why is it that people get killed from drone strikes over there where you live with your family and most people in Canada and USA think it is OK....

you and your fellows wold never think of doing it to us ....why do we let them do it to you,my friend-number one?

Some of us are old foolish war veterans who seen war and legs and arms ripped off and people killed....

i donut believe in an imaginary gawd in the sky my friend....man i do pray for you my friend and all the rest of us here at ES!

Ed of the day ,we all got to eat and love and breathe...is a good day.

a wise old man said...

Too much and too long, we seem to have surrendered community excellence and community values in the mere accumulation of material things. Our gross national product...if we should judge American by that - counts air pollution and cigarette advertising, and ambulances to clear our highways of carnage. It counts special locks for our doors and the jails for those who break them. It counts the destruction of our redwoods and the loss of our natural wonder in chaotic sprawl. It counts napalm and the cost of a nuclear warhead, and armored cars for police who fight riots in our streets. It counts Whitman's rifle and Speck's knife, and the television programs which glorify violence in order to sell toys to our children.
Yet the gross national product does not allow for the health of our children, the quality of their education, or the joy of their play. It does not include the beauty of our poetry or the strength of our marriages; the intelligence of our public debate or the integrity of our public officials. It measures neither our wit nor our courage; neither our wisdom nor our learning; neither our compassion nor our devotion to our country; it measures everything, in short, except that which makes life worthwhile. And it tells us everything about America except why we are proud that we are Americans.

Robert F. Kennedy (1925 - 1968)

I'm loving ya and hoping for ya #1....

Cheers!

PS-i was born and bread from a wise man and he said this,from a book.

"When we know we have a certain fear , we can face it , can tackle it , can try ways and means to minimize it and even make it disappear altogether from our life or at least learn to live with it.

When we are unaware of our fears , when we deny them , refuse to see them , ignore them , they are free to exert their baneful influence undisturbed , and we are the losers.

To be afraid is supposed to be something disgraceful , and that may be why we cover up our fears not only before others but all the more before ourselves , since it is in our eyes that we want to preserve our own image as courageous , fearless and unafraid.

We do not want to lose face before ourselves , and so we put up a bold front , draw up our chin and proclaim ourselves to be unaffected by common fears and apprehensions.

Meanwhile the fear has gone underground and in the dark plots effective attacks on our defenseless citadel.

It is to our own advantage to give ourselves the freedom to look at our own fears without shame or misgivings , rather than artificially pretend we are not afraid of anything.

We - are - afraid , and we should be the first to know it and own up to it. "

You may have the whole book to read if you wish. I would be happy to share it with you,no charge

http://www.amazon.com/Let-Go-Fear-Tackling-Emotion/dp/0892435542

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Wandered_Lonely_as_a_Cloud

this is the book that realized to me -never have any fear!

its a story of a man on a bicycle who ode thru the woods and he saw a bird frozen in fear who could not fly away because a cobra had him in his sights and he could not move....because of fer1....

i clapped my hands and the bird flew away and the Cobra was angry and withered away!!!!

I hope you fly my friend!I hope the water is a blue in my dreams as it is in yours....I hope one day soon we all get together and smile while we ride our e-bikes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPkW2LGfDUU

8)

Thanks Mr. Fechter I really seek for your guidance all the way and you have always extending your support and help. I appreciate it a lot. What do you think about the following circuit? Mosfet which is readily available is IRFP 250N and IRFP 150N. What should be the resistance value for my project. I guess 50 K variable to adjust it to 12volt and leave it there. The center pin of variable which goes to gate also might need a resistance in order to limit the amps down for the gate of MOSFET. What value would be good there?

Sorry to hear the kids messed up your wiring. We have the same kind of problem here. It's not safe to park an ebike in many places.

For the regulator, yes, it's a good idea to share the load evenly to prevent pack imbalance. The best is a switching dc-dc coverter. Some small power supplies that are made for AC line power will work OK on much lower DC input. These will be much more efficient than a linear regulator.

In your transistor circuit, it could work but there are some better ways. A single large resistor of the right value works fine and is very simple and robust. A transistor in linear mode will dissipate the exact same amount of heat, which could be several watts, so a heat sink is needed. I would recommend a resistor. To calculate the necessary resistance, we need to know the coil resistance of the relay or it's operating current.

If you can't find a resistor but you already have some MOSFETs, then there is another circuit that would work. It's late now and it will take some time to draw it. I'll edit this post later with it.

Although I occasionally leave the GEBP (Giant electric bike project) unattended, I still try to keep it in sight. Once I had to move it because some kids were messing with it, just like yours! Can't really blame the kids. Don't think they mean any harm, just curious about the new and unusual.

fechter said:
In your transistor circuit, it could work but there are some better ways. A single large resistor of the right value works fine and is very simple and robust. A transistor in linear mode will dissipate the exact same amount of heat, which could be several watts, so a heat sink is needed. I would recommend a resistor. To calculate the necessary resistance, we need to know the coil resistance of the relay or it's operating current.
If you can't find a resistor but you already have some MOSFETs, then there is another circuit that would work. It's late now and it will take some time to draw it. I'll edit this post later with it.

Thanks for the reply; actually I already have the MOSFET and to source the correct amount and power of resistance is a bit difficult. Moreover, IRFP 150n is quite powerful to do such a small thing. Not only the Relay needs 12 volts but also my Pulse Width Modulator (555 IC) also needs it.

To calculate the correct amount of Resistance for LEDs I know a formula which worked fine for raw LEDs and I guess that would apply here as well. All I have to know is the amps drawn by the 12 Volt stuff (Relay + PWM) It goes something like this: (Please correct me if I am wrong)

Required Resistance value = Total voltage (we have) - Voltage required (in my case 12 volt) / amps required drawn
I would really appreciate if you post a circuit which could be built around IRFP 150n and which could serve the purpose efficiently.

Respectfully Yours
Naeem

P.S. motorino magnet;

Dear Sir,
I will post a detailed comment later on. At the moment my house is full of guests on Eid festival. I share the same ideas. You can call me as a Muslim priest who got into building electric bikes.
God bless you.
Naeem

Below is a crude way to get power for the relay. Using this arrangement, there will be nearly zero drain when the 12 load is removed. Downside is the output will be more like 10v than 12v due to gate turn-on voltage. You could also use a large bipolar transistor to do the same thing and have only about 0.7v drop.

The way I typically do these linear regulators is with a 15v zener so the output is closer to 12v. If you have some 15v zener diodes around (and a resistor), it is easily done.Tap powered voltage regulator.jpg

Three improvements;

1) Last time kids messed up the wires going to the throttle (variable resister). So I passed the wires through a path where it is difficult to reach them easily. (see the following pic)

2) Last time I bent the handle bar main axcel therefore I had to rotate the handle bar which is held by a clip like jaw and has a screw to tight it in the required position. But, I found out that just tightening it wouldn't work for any hard stress can make it lose and it can easily change its position which I really don't want to happen, therefore, I made a support for the handle bar. (see the pic) Handle Bar & Throttle.jpg

3) Motor had a fan at the back plate but I noticed that instead of throwing the air into the motor through the holes it was rather throwing it away and around the motor. I made a small blade focusing the air on the back plat through its holes. (see the following pic)Fan Blade.jpg

Thanks a lot Mr. Fetcher I appreciate it. I remember re my past experience with LEDs that I can have variable value of resistance by parallel and series connection of resistances. Moreover, I found quite a bundle of resistance lying with me rating at 5 watts which is quite good. As soon as the Eid festival is over the bazaars (markets) will open and I will go to Karim Pura Bazaar (a market place famous for radio shack stuff) I will try and find a 15 volt zenner. But i have never used the zenner in a circuit and I would need your kind guidance again, but it will be possible only if the bazaars (markets) open and I become able to find the 15 volt zenner.

the formula I posted earlier to calculate the resistance, would that be applicable here as well?
Value of R in Ohms = Total Voltage - Required voltage / Amps drawn.

Below is the zener regulator circuit. I've used this on several projects and like the way it works.
Load regulation is not great, but line regulation is excellent. The resistor can be about anything between 100k and 1M. There is about a 2v difference between the zener voltage and the output. You can pick your zener to get the desire voltage.
I would recommend this circuit over the previous one I posted as this can be self contained and is less prone to damage.

Attachments

• Wide input range linear regulator.jpg
    Wide input range linear regulator.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 3,868
Thanks a lot for the circuit diagram.

I did it and it works just that on 60 volt the mosfet gets so hot that I am afraid it will fry in seconds so I put it on a heat sink and connected it to three batteries (36 volts) and now in approximately in 7 minutes the heat sink is quite warm although I can't touch it for more than 5 seconds cause it burns my finger (it is that warm). Is it normal in this case?

The open positive voltage reads 12.45 while when connected to the relay coil it reaches 11.43.

Respectfully yours
Naeem

fechter said:
I would recommend this circuit over the previous one I posted as this can be self contained and is less prone to damage.

just a thought crossed my mind; suppose if the mosfet gets damaged then the output voltage will increase and might damage my PWM pertaining to a 555 timer IC which needs very little energy to run. I think it would be safe to give this pwm a direct 12 volt from the battery while the relay is through this circuit.

But the PWM will not cut off with break switch then.

I think if I put a fuse or some thing which could cut off supply to PWM when the voltage increase than 13 volt on any point when the mosfet fails.

Thanks for your love and support.

Naeem

P.S. It really makes me sad to know that USA is going through a tough time. The sandy storm has destroyed every thing in its path. It is time to ask for God's forgiveness for we all are sinners at some points of our lives. It could be the evil doing of Terri Johns who has disgraced the Prophet of Allah and has hurt the feelings of all Muslims round the glob.
May Allah give you all the courage to go through this tough time. I along with my family will pray for you.

motorino magnet said:
I'm a decorated ,retired,Canadian veteran and I'm embarrassed and sad like this man wont be allowed anymore...because he supports the people in Palestine...George Galloway...

I'm not much into politics, but I'm guessing you're Canadian so don't know much about George Galloway...
(few guesses here so sorry if I'm mistaken)

but don't listen to anything George Galloway says.... he'll say whatever he thinks will get him in the papers at the time... including things like woman who dress provocatively deserve it if they get raped etc... racist remarks etc...

he was on celebrity big brother here a few years ago and really showed himself up, bullying the young girls in the house etc..

he might say the right thing once in a while, and he might sometimes say what others are afraid to say... but don't think for a second he believes any of it... he's just doing it for attention

sorry to go off topic... but I thought it was worth posting... it's better to find out what/who he is sooner rather than later

knighty said:
but don't listen to anything George Galloway says.... he'll say whatever he thinks will get him in the papers at the time... including things like woman who dress provocatively deserve it if they get raped etc... racist remarks etc...
sorry to go off topic... but I thought it was worth posting... it's better to find out what/who he is sooner rather than later

Being a man of humanity and religion I feel it this way; Sometime our parents tell us not to lie but yet they also lie some times. Who the man is? is one thing and What he is saying? is the other thing. Sometimes we do not act on things we believe in and that is human nature.

What I like the most about ES is that we respect each other for what ever belief we have. And respect for each other is something that binds us with love. Love and respect go side by side.

Off the topic but good thoughts must be shared.

Respectfully
Naeem

motorino magnet said:
hello our friend,sad day here and in your hometown,we have a big hurricane coming in here(Sandy) and your speakers are not allowed-to speak here...for purely political reasons....
It is quite a great moment of sorrow for us as well. We need to ask God for forgiveness of our sins.

http://tribune.com.pk/story/457501/struck-down-imran-khan-offloaded-from-us-bound-flight-in-canada/ I'm a decorated ,retired,Canadian veteran and I'm embarrassed and sad like this man wont be allowed anymore...because he supports the people in Palestine...George Galloway...
This man brings a lot of hope to our country. He won the world cup back in 90s and has such a great vision for our nation's progress. He will definitely bring a big change to our country. He is against some policies of USA like drone attackes and time and again interferance in the matters of our national interests.
I am sorry to inform you that we have said no to youtube for it has posted the disgracing video of our Prophet P.B.U.H made by Teri Johns. Therefore I am completely unable to see the videos. I am again sorry for being ignorant of Mr. George Galloway as well.

why is it that when Gandhi spoke he wasn't listened to unless he was politically persecuted...

Gandhi was a great leaders of Indian nation and the same way Qaid-e-Azam was a great leader of Muslims of Pakistan. Both these leaders joined Congress (the only platform which was working for freedom from British rule in those days. Later on Qaid-e-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah felt that the interest of Muslims of All-India is not safe and there is no representation of them internationally, therefore, he formed Muslim League. In 1947 Pakistan was founded with the slogan " Pakistan ka matlab kya, La ilaha il-lal-Lah" meaning: "Pakistan means a land of those who believe that (There is) none worthy of worship except Allah"

i donut support Our dear leader Harper,nor do i support Obama/Romney....i support peace for the billions of us free thin-kin e-biker es!!!!!!!!!!
You are man after my heart my brother. I support your cause with all my heart and soul.

IMO lost and angry that your not here as free as us?
its the little people like us who ride e-bikes -who will change the world for the better.....lets eat the rich!
Cheers mate!
I agree with you my friend; change starts to happen some where at some place in a small village may be and it starts to spread and gradually gains its tempo and frequency and at once it becomes so sudden. I strongly believe that we have the strength to begin the change towards world peace.

why is it that people get killed from drone strikes over there where you live with your family and most people in Canada and USA think it is OK....
There are a lot of political issues behind these attacks. Just imagine, Pakistan has one of the greatest standing army with latest weapon technology very much able to counter any drone attack in our country yet its corrupt leaders are silent and don't move a finger except publishing press releases for warning USA for stopping drone attacks. Why not shoot down a few and let us see what happens. The thing that will happen to them would be that it will cut down the US Aid which is being looted by these corrupt leaders. The poor man is so stuck in earning the living to barely to feed his family for two times a day, how can he ever think about raising his voice against such corruption.

you and your fellows wold never think of doing it to us ....why do we let them do it to you,my friend-number one?
I don't think that any one of you and any one of us would do such a thing to any one in this world who may belong to any cast or creed or may belong to any geographical boundary. It is the doing of these dirty politicians across the globe doing destruction at mass level.

a wise old man said...
Too much and too long, ..................except why we are proud that we are Americans.
Robert F. Kennedy (1925 - 1968)
He sure was a great leader and a visionary. I wished he may have lived longer, would have done great things for his nation.

I'm loving ya and hoping for ya #1....
Cheers!
PS-i was born and bread from a wise man and he said this,from a book.
"When we know we have a certain fear , we can face it , .......................... , and we should be the first to know it and own up to it. "
You may have the whole book to read if you wish. I would be happy to share it with you,no charge
http://www.amazon.com/Let-Go-Fear-Tackling-Emotion/dp/0892435542
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Wandered_Lonely_as_a_Cloud
this is the book that realized to me -never have any fear!

My dear friend, I am not much of a reader and my reading skill is weak therefore I am a very slow reader. Most of the time I go through pictures and try to understand the projects on ES. Thank you very much for your generous offer.

its a story of a man on a bicycle who ode thru the woods and he saw a bird frozen in fear who could not fly away because a cobra had him in his sights and he could not move....because of fer1....i clapped my hands and the bird flew away and the Cobra was angry and withered away!!!!
I hope you fly my friend!I hope the water is a blue in my dreams as it is in yours....I hope one day soon we all get together and smile while we ride our e-bikes!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPkW2LGfDUU

Thank you very much for such a heart touching comment. I wish I had all the time in the world and there was a way that we could sit in front of each other over a cup of tea and I would have learned so much from you. It is a new definition of Education which I like the most these days "Gradually awareness of ones self of its ignorance". I have no doubt learned a great deal from this detailed comment of yours.

Wassalamun Alykum Warahmatullah (meaning: May Allah shower his blessings upon you and your family for all eternity.)

Yours Respectfully
Muhammad Naeem Zahid

Hello every body;

It seems like I need to post a fresh picture of my complete bike because its been a long time since I made so many changes and the handle bar and what not and what not. Here is one showing the entire bike. I have also taken the time to draw lines from the fork axel and the point where the tire makes a contact with the ground in order to see the trail / caster angle.
Caster angle.jpg
here is what wickipedia has to say about bike's geometry
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_and_motorcycle_geometry#Steering_axis_angle

Dear fechter: I am afraid the MOSFET will fry over time cause the heat sink is getting very hot to touch in 12 minutes. what do you think if I prallel another one too (IRFP 150N)?
Respectfully
Naeem

Dear fechter: I am afraid the MOSFET will fry over time cause the heat sink is getting very hot to touch in 12 minutes. what do you think if I prallel another one too (IRFP 150N)?
Respectfully
Naeem
A single one is more than enough, but it sounds like you need a bigger heat sink.
That's the problem with linear regulators, lots of wasted heat. A switching regulator would be much less heat.
I've taken heat sinks from the CPU in an old computer. Those are usually pretty good. With a large enough heat sink, the linear regulator will be fine.

Personally I would try to find a small wall-wart switching power supply and try that.
Get some more info here: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2264

Another approach would be to use a 555 to drive the FET gate and build a fixed duty cycle switcher. As long as the load is fairly constant, you can adjust the 555 to get the desired output voltage.

fechter said:
Another approach would be to use a 555 to drive the FET gate and build a fixed duty cycle switcher. As long as the load is fairly constant, you can adjust the 555 to get the desired output voltage.

I followed your instructions and made the aforementioned circuit that I already have for my controller. The problem is that I have blown some of my 12 volt stuff with it. Without load the meter reads 60 volt. with load the voltage wouldn't stay stable. I try to control it with the Ver resistance but no use. Then I tried it with 24 volt (having 555 portion on 12 volt single battery all the time. It worked with 24 volt with a big 100 watt 12 volt Brushless fan. Also I made sure that when I gave power to the 555 portion, the load was already connected and the Ver was at its minimum. The fan was producing this tiny whistling sound as the voltage increased with increasing ver the whistling sound increased its pitch and when it reached 12 volt the sound was no more there. The sound is probably the square wave pulse modulation. After this success I connected the Mosfet region to 36 volt which failed with burning and smoking my fan. Following is the pictures I took showing the completed PCB and then its position on bike. It also includes a diagram showing which component is where.

Pardon me for my electronics is miserable and I seek your guidance in this regard. I can't figure out what is going wrong. I need something to make the voltage stable. May be a capacitor from the Negative to the output positive (60 volt). Although that linear regulator was working good with a lot of energy lost as heat but my goal is to make a regulator which do not lose precious electrical energy.

I also found a switching power supply which comes with my Wifi router provided to me by the internet company. I tested it with my 60 volt battery and it worked splendid. It was a 9 volt power supply and by the way it is company property. I also owned a laptop power supply which reads something like this: input AC 100 to 240 volt 1.5 amps, output 20 volt 4.5 amps. I checked it but it did not work with my setup. Searched the market for switching power supply but all I found were my laptop like supplies. I thought that if I buy something which costs for about Rs. 400 and if it did not work would be a wast of money and the sales man wouldn't take it back either.

Any help would be appreciated.

Respectfully Yours
Naeem

Attachments

• DC to DC converter diagrame.jpg
    DC to DC converter diagrame.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 2,029
  • Position of Circuit.jpg
    Position of Circuit.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 4,001
Wiring diagram would change having to have this 12 volt regulator in place, therefore, the wiring diagram would be as follows: It pertains to the break and key switch and I am sure it would work OK, but any useful suggestion would be highly appreciated.
Naeem

You can use a switched FET to drive the relay coil, but probably not a fan or anything with a capacitor across the input. The relay coil will act like the inductor in a switching power supply, so you don't need to add a separate one. To drive any load or a capacitive load, you need a separate inductor.
You also need a diode across the coil to catch the high voltage spike produced when the switch turns off. This diode is reverse biased (so it does not conduct in the direction of normal current flow). This is just like your motor controller.

Since the voltage going to the coil is switched at high frequency, your meter may not be reading accurately.

It may be possible to add a voltage detector and feedback to the 555 to make it actually regulate the voltage. this also makes it more complex and likely to fail. They also make nice switching controller chips that are made to do this. Most any switching power supply would have one type or another.

What kind of electronic junk is easy to find there? Any dead computer should have something.

God bless you China; you solved my problem. Found this Chinese power supply for laptops which solved my problem. On giving 60 volt to its input (100 to 220 volt) it is giving out 12 volt with enough power to turn on the relay. I guess it would also allow me to put a LED light on my bike as well.

One thing I must mention; If connected the 60 volt DC to the input while having the load (relay) connected to the output would not let the out put power any more. Therefore, it seems like I have to put the break switch and on off key switch between the 12volt out put and the relay and not between the 60 volt DC and the switching power supply. It means I have to make another switch to turn it off at the time of no ride. What I noticed that this power supply consumes about .02 volt @ 60 volt at no load which makes .02 x 60 = 1.2 watt equal to nothing but it is not practical to leave the power on to the supply. It would be a kind of hidden switch in order to prohibit some one from using the bike even if he has the keys. It will also be a good trick if any one accidentally turn on the keys and then switch the hidden button on will make the situation where the load is connected and the supply is given 60 volt will not make it run. Good.

Have a nice day guys. Wait till I test ride it and let you know how did it go.

With warm regards and much respect.
Naeem

Attachments

• IMG_0675.jpg
    IMG_0675.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 3,953
Back