A123 20Ah Quebec Group buy(Canada) cells ARRIVED 24.57$/cell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctorbass

100 GW
Our group buy for the Quebec province in Canada finally succeded.

We just received our 175 pounds of A123 made in USA cells from http://victpower.company.weiku.com/

We ordered from Victpower because it was one of the two supplier that Jack Richard has bought from and was guiena pig and also have tested the cells with positive convincing results. The second supplier was OSN Power

Price come to aroud 25$ each cells with customs and shipping included.

I still have not the exact cost but i'll have it tonight and will post it.

I will test them too and will post the data as well.

Since individual capacity test might take weeks to do, i'll first just post:

-the individual internal resistance on arrival
-the individual voltage on arrival

-cells will be 100% charged to 3.65V and charge current will stop once 1A charge current is reached

-Cells will last 48h

-Than their voltage will be tested again and the lower than average voltages cells will be suspected or rejected.

Doc

Cells arrived like i said.. and the price we paid is on this little sumarry that jean-Luc has made for us:

Not bad at all:

-Cells arrived i less than one week from the payment to Victpower
-cells come to 24.57$ CAD$ per cell

-Duty and broker and tax might vary depending on the locations and wich value is declared.

= to 39 cents per Wh shipped every cost included)

for capacity between 18.5 to 19.5Ah per cell according to Jack's test

and a power of 2200W per kg or 4100W per L

And SAFE !!! for charging and discharging!

Doc

Attachments

• a123 cost.JPG
    a123 cost.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 9,068
Right on! That's 1/3rd the cost A123 pays to make them! Woot!

I split off the topic that took over this thread on A123 technology and Chinese Manufacturing. It can be found here: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=37975

I agree with keeping this thread clean for Dr. Bass. It looks like he had run a well orchestrated group buy, and we are looking forward to his cell testing.

DoctorBass,

Congrats on making a successful group buy, like so many others I am following your posts with interest and wish I had a few 20 ah A123s of my own.

If you have any pictures of the packaging or cells please share!

silentflight said:
DoctorBass,

Congrats on making a successful group buy, like so many others I am following your posts with interest and wish I had a few 20 ah A123s of my own.

If you have any pictures of the packaging or cells please share!

thanks for teh appreciations :wink:

As well i will report everything i can about this arrived shipment of 180 cells

omg! 180 cells to measure on arrival... :shock: :lol:

I think i will ask my friend Jean Luc to write teh data in Excel and i 'll take the measurement and visual inspections

i also hope we will not have one sticker to remove on all cell tab ! like i saw already on other A123 pouch pict! :lol:

I am already tired about my 240x A123 2.3Ah cells pack build.. i only have 170 out of the 240 cells total
IR, capacity, current leak etc...

I know you will wonder why i'm spending so much time on that 2.3Ah A123 based pack sice i already bought and got the 34 20Ah A123 pouchs?.. Well.. I have too many project going on for this summer and i'm just curious to
compare the A123 20Ah of 26650 and the 20Ah pouch... will be interesting

Tehse pouch will also fit on my zero motorcycle as a 40Ah 16s range extander that will match to the actual 14s LiMn cells.
Doc

Is this for Canada? Or just Quebec? :wink: It makes no difference to me actually, I would love to be able to get 48 pouches to build a 24S2P pack for my scooter but I spent all my money on these Makita batteries I got from this French guy :lol: No regrets though, they are working purty darn good so far. It's just that the ES ''enough is never enough'' bug stung me right between the eyes.
Great job on that group buy DB.

mistercrash said:
Is this for Canada? Or just Quebec? :wink: It makes no difference to me actually, I would love to be able to get 48 pouches to build a 24S2P pack for my scooter but I spent all my money on these Makita batteries I got from this French guy :lol: No regrets though, they are working purty darn good so far. It's just that the ES ''enough is never enough'' bug stung me right between the eyes.
Great job on that group buy DB.

I think that if someone want these pouch, it is not necessary to make a group buy.. the price dont really vary with qty.. it's already low..

Right now i'm building 2 packs at a time and will make one more :lol:

One 12s 10p makita
One 24s 10p Dewalt
soon one A123 20Ah pouch

And then i'll need to rebalance my lipo pack

and finally will build the 16s1p Headway pack that is still in parts and that i never found any use from now...

Well i can say i'll wiork with pretty all well known cells 8)

Makita, Dewalt, Headway, A123 pouch, Lipo, ...enough? :lol:

I now know why someone wanted to rename me in Doctorbatt... but i dont like how it sound :?

Doc

Doc

Doctorbass said:
I now know why someone wanted to rename me in Doctorbatt... but i dont like how it sound

osti!
lol-053.gif
DoctorBatt!
facepalm_smiley.gif
Est bonne celle là. Docteur queue d'béton tant qu'a y être :D

You're totally right about group buys for these A123 pouches, not really necessary. I just got a quote for $18.30 per pouch for 48 of them plus $240 shipping. That comes to $23.30 per pouch. Of course any duty fees is not factored in that price. But I bet they wouldn't end up being much more than $25 each. Ordering 500 pouches only brings the price down by $0.90 a pouch to $17.40.

zzoing said:
mistercrash said:
which company did u order them from

I didn't order them, I just asked for a quote for 48 of the A123 20Ah Prismatic pouches from Victpower Technology Co.

120x120.jpg

Supposedly, this cute girl answered with a price of $18.30 per pouch :lol: Here's the email they/she sent me.

Dear: Last Name, First Name

How r u ?

We are so happy to hear from u

About A123 20Ah Systems Prismatic Pouch 3.2v AMP20M1HD-A

this is the cell's pic and specification ,pls download as a attched

Quotation:18.3$ for 48pcs

Shipping cost :240.7$ by DHL(3-5working days arrive CANADA from china)

Quotation :17.4$ for 500pcs

Payment:T/T or Paypal

warranty:1 year

If u r interested in these informations, pls contact with us in time

We r gonna wait for ur reply

Best Regards

xin wang
Shenzhen Victpower Technology Co., Ltd.
T: 086 0755 89635916 | F: 086 0755 89635636 | M: 15810120194
E: victpowersales@victpower.cn
W:http://www.victpower.cn
Products Showroom on Alibaba.com

Ypedal said:
shoot.. i totally missed this..

"battman " would be proud.

Yeah Why not!... 8)

Well i think that the Doctorbass name is too much spread over teh internet for my identification so changing it would cause a little chaos!!

That Doctorbass name like i explaned a while ago come come from a short story with a friend i have and when we was enjoying Dbdragracing and SPL and crazy decibels and subwoofer build, he just called me "Hey... Doc !... hmmm Doctorbass!" like that instinctively on one day and that name stayed .

I know ebike dont produce much Bass but i dont care... the name is the name and it will stay! :wink:

Calling me Battman would be a little sarcasm in regard of Cellman .. because by definition, a battery is made of many cells :lol: :D

Doc

mistercrash,
I am un Western Canada, what custom duties?
I have not paid any on 13 pcs. from Hong Kong.
VIC Power does not know how to declare in shipping documents.

miro13car said:
mistercrash,
I am un Western Canada, what custom duties?
I have not paid any on 13 pcs. from Hong Kong.
VIC Power does not know how to declare in shipping documents.

I was simply assuming that there might be some duties to be paid. If there is none then that's even better but I clearly saw DB talk about duty, brokerage and taxes.

If you use the correct HS code the batteries will come in duty free, however there is also brokerage (the cost to clear it through customs and determine the duty, if any and GST) and of course GST/PST/HST depending on what province you are in.

The value at which a shipment clears without fees is $20CAD for those to the south it's more realistic $200US

I also think it might depend on the Ah for the price range of duty and broker fee

Our cells have an added sticker showing 3.7V 900mAh on both cells of the top of each box...

here it is:

6800228166_0a424384fc_c.jpg

UPDATE.. as promissed:

I went to J-L house to test al the 180 cells with him.

I have to say that i'm impressed by the packing they had. All cells individually wraped with bullble and than placed in the white plastic holder and than fitted in a cardboed box with 7 layer of 2 cells per white plastic layer.

-100% of cells had no real damage over all 180 cells. only some cells had some little trace of not punctured traces.. just embossed a little but not enough to consider
-all cells are MADE IN USD printed on them and also have a sticker on the negative tab. That sticker can be removed easy and the residual gum can be removed with aceton
-All tab are 28mm long :D
- I was only able to test the first 25 cells due to my poor RI tester that blown for unknow reason :roll: The average AC impedense was 1.6 miliohm on the first 25 cells.
- The average voltage of cells was 3.293.. welll 90% of the cells was 3.293 ( all measured at 16.1 degree C in the garage after cels sit for at least 72h)
( like 6% of the cells was at 3.294 or 3.292 and 4% was at 3.304V )
- Cells are all i good flat shape... no real bend like i some already had reported

Next on the list :

-Convince FLUKE to build a QUALITY and FAST RI tester!
-Sample around 5% of the cells capacity to get an idea.. than test all cells capacity

Apparently a guy that have a blog called Zoppa seem to have received the exact cells and from the exact suplier (Vict power) than us and reported having thested them with his cellpro PL6 at 20A (1C)rate and had like 15.9-16.5Ah per cells, but he is discharging at 2.8V so like Rwaudio mentionned, there is maybe few Ah left if we discharge it to the 2.0V min voltage recommanded by A123.

I must test mine now !

our great friend :lol: Jack Richard reported having measured 18-19Ah at high current... so i need to figure that myself on our received batch!

here is the link of Zoppa from Random EV:http://randomev.wordpress.com/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/yty/with/7002571879/

I have to say that i'm pretty sure our cells come from the same place than him.

More info to come in the next hours :wink: I'm charging 4 cells paralle at 66A current and will disconnect them once current reach C/20 and than will leave them few hour and than will discharge each them at 1C so cound couples of hour until i post results of measured Ah... and i'll validate the discharge current with my Fluke 337 ampmeter clamp for each of the 4 cell to discharge.

Doc

Doctorbass said:
Apparently a guy that have a blog called Zoppa seem to have received the exact cells and from the exact suplier (Vict power) than us and reported having thested them with his cellpro PL6 at 20A (1C)rate and had like 15.9-16.5Ah per cells :? :)

I must test mine now !

Keep in mind the guy you linked to says he is discharging to 2.8v, although it's probably a good place to discharge to in an EV, for capacity testing it doesn't give you very accurate results.
I would discharge to 2.00, 2.25, or at the very most 2.5v, in my testing I would say there are a couple of AH between 2.8 and 2.25v

rwaudio said:
Doctorbass said:
Apparently a guy that have a blog called Zoppa seem to have received the exact cells and from the exact suplier (Vict power) than us and reported having thested them with his cellpro PL6 at 20A (1C)rate and had like 15.9-16.5Ah per cells :? :)

I must test mine now !

Keep in mind the guy you linked to says he is discharging to 2.8v, although it's probably a good place to discharge to in an EV, for capacity testing it doesn't give you very accurate results.
I would discharge to 2.00, 2.25, or at the very most 2.5v, in my testing I would say there are a couple of AH between 2.8 and 2.25v

You are totally right!

I forgot to take acount about that. i'll add a note to the report, Thanks Robin

Doc

Hi Doc,

Doctorbass said:
Our group buy for the Quebec province in Canada finally succeeded.

Doc
What do you mean by "finally succeeded"?

How long did it take? Any problems or delays?

MitchJi said:
Hi Doc,

Doctorbass said:
Our group buy for the Quebec province in Canada finally succeeded.

Doc
What do you mean by "finally succeeded"?

How long did it take? Any problems or delays?

I meant that due to the big doubt many had about buying these cells, i can say that the short delay to get them, the price we got them and the results from now, i can conclude that it's a succes.

delay was short.. around one week to get them to our door after payment.

Doc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back