Backyard-Millyard ebike.

tri-lobe

100 W
Hello ES people,

This is my first post and I would like to introduce myself and my home-made ebike. I live in Newcastle,NSW,Austraila.
Firstly I would like to thank the creators of this website and the members....This is a truely an inspiring and creative site to participate in. Who woulld have thought that you could do these things with a bicycle...not me. I've had motorbikes all my life and would have never considered a mere bicycle to ride on but boy have I changed my tune now. Ebikes have opened up a whole new and exciting world to me in my later years....I now know what an EV grin is.
About 2yrs ago I purchased a $400 lead;acid 400w ebike kit and a cheap mtb with dual suspension...set it all up.....It was crap but it was a start and it got my little pea brain in motion and then I came across ES thanks to a well known baned character called Safe.....From that point on I was hooked. I read and I read, there was so much info to take onboard...so many ways to skin a cat.....the FORCE was calling and drawing me in....Do I stay on the path of light with my entry level rearhub?...or do I go towards the dark side with a screaming hell cat?....Conservative logic prevailed...I must walk before I can run.
My next descision was a frame that was suitable for an ebike with dual suspension,disc brakes and provision for batteries between headstock and seat post and positioned below my butt for low centre of gravity......I Agonized over this, i didn't want to cut up an expensive frame to do this....
ES to the rescue, I came across Steve Millyards dh bicycle...this was the frame for me...This would give me a fair-dinkum platform for any motor arrangment, correct placement and cog for batteries.....Now I just have to make one...I have never made a bicycle frame in my life...How hard can it be? I have no idea, this was a new direction for me and I'm not a welder by profession......but I can weld. I'm a fitter/machinist by trade.

First off batteries....This frame will be built around the dimentions of the batteries, 16 off headways @ 48V 12amps [room for li-po later] Thanks to Jay from Hyena Electric Bikes for these, 6 off 1m lengths of 19mm dia cro-mol tube about $160 delivered, bomber front shocks $200 sec hand delivered, Manitou 4 way swinger rear shock $100.....Then many hours of welding about 56 welds and many hours of grinding and dressing....I dont think I'd like to make these frames for a living......end weight of frame with swing arm...5.8kg...I believe Greyborgs professional made frame weighs 5.6kg.

Attachments

• IMG_0013.JPG
    IMG_0013.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 4,416
  • IMG_0014.JPG
    IMG_0014.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 4,482
awesome job... a fugg'n cracker.

Exactly what an ebike frame should look like. A huge, well protected frame around a battery tray that follows the downtube.

Easily as good as the Greyborg in my opinion. That thing is going to be sweet with that tray packed with lithium.

full-throttle said:
That looks awesome!

How does it ride?
Hi FT,
So far so good, this is a city fun bike, no bush close by but I can handle any cutters or steps...it's still early days and I haven't given it a hard run yet. It feels very solid , I have some heavey duty rims that i shall fit up once i obtain some suitable spokes but all in the fullness of time.

Outstanding job Tri-lobe, lot's of space, likely stronger than expensive production bikes, and steel but with low total weight. You nailed the design part too, which I like better than the Greyborg.

Do you have any close-ups of the swingarm pivot, and an explanation of pivot assembly? eg Bushings or bearings, etc. That's where I get stuck in my decision making. My Cannondale has bearing but they don't last, and my cheapie bikes and motorcycle frames have bushings that seem to hold up fine.

John

Great Job!! :wink:

We all imaginated or dreamed already about a frame like this!!

I guess you'll get Pms from people asking you to sale some!

Hall9000 did something similar.

Doc

John in CR said:
Outstanding job Tri-lobe, lot's of space, likely stronger than expensive production bikes, and steel but with low total weight. You nailed the design part too, which I like better than the Greyborg.

Do you have any close-ups of the swingarm pivot, and an explanation of pivot assembly? eg Bushings or bearings, etc. That's where I get stuck in my decision making. My Cannondale has bearing but they don't last, and my cheapie bikes and motorcycle frames have bushings that seem to hold up fine.

John
Hello John,
The swing arm is a modified huffy style type with the standard plastic bushes.....because this was my first build I wanted to keep things simple....This set-up will allows me to swap the swing arm at a latter date should I descide to experiment with pivot bearings or any inprovements, I have 2 spair swing arms should I need to go down this road....This approach avoids the need to make a swing arm from scratch.

full-throttle said:
The welds look as smooth as filet brazed. Cromoly FS are so rare these days..

Came across this video today, very inspirational.
Hey FT,
In reguards to the welds...A 19mm dia round coarse file was my secret weapon..It gave me the same radius as the tube...I spent days dressing up the welds but I got the result that I was after....the file was blunt by the time I had finished.

tri-lobe said:
full-throttle said:
The welds look as smooth as filet brazed. Cromoly FS are so rare these days..

Came across this video today, very inspirational.
Hey FT,
In reguards to the welds...A 19mm dia round coarse file was my secret weapon..It gave me the same radius as the tube...I spent days dressing up the welds but I got the result that I was after....the file was blunt by the time I had finished.

That hard work is appreciated by all of us who join metal. Wearing out a file in one project is a level of patience I wish I had. :mrgreen:

tri-lobe said:
I came across ES thanks to a well known baned character called Safe.....From that point on I was hooked.
Good old safe, he does his best work by not being here :lol:

Sweet frame mods Tom, that looks great.
It's screaming out for a more powerful hub now and it looks like you've got room for around 18S4P of lipo batteries in that frame. Nice!

gtadmin said:
Excellent Tom 8)

Tom said:
...How hard can it be? I have no idea, this was a new direction for me and I'm not a welder by profession......but I can weld. I'm a fitter/machinist by trade.
Ditto, my thoughts also when I first started out too ....

BTW, where did you get your tubing from?

Cheers,
GT
Hello GT,
I purchased the chrome-moly tube from a company called Preformance Metals in Sydney...great service and speedy delivery.I did a fair bit of reading on bicycle frame building...I first built a frame out of 19mm timber dowel,glued and fiber-glassed together..this enabled me to trial fit forks, swing arm, rear shock and batteries...I'm glad I took this path because i did have to make alterations to get things right...cheaper to make mistakes in timber than chome-moly...I was suprised at how strong the timber frame was I could ride the bike around the back yard.

haha you could have carbon fibred over the top instead of fibreglass and left it as it was! :lol:

Got a pick of this fibreglass and wood bike ?
I've made mock ups out of foam, wood and cardboard but never actually something I could ride, even around the backyard

Hyena said:
haha you could have carbon fibred over the top instead of fibreglass and left it as it was! :lol:

I've made mock ups out of foam, wood and cardboard but never actually something I could ride, even around the backyard
Hay Jay,
Yes i do....I shall fumble around and try and do the attachments myself, if i'm unsucessful i'll have to wait until my better half gets home from work this evening, I'm so pathetic on the computer it's embarrassing

boostjuice said:
Yet another Aussie pushing new territory. Boy are we over-represented on an international forum considering our population size 8) ...
Shoosh :wink: We'll get banned :shock: Or ... be unindated with frames made from stick-welded angle iron :p . The europeans don't do too bad either.

tri-lobe said:
Hello GT,
I purchased the chrome-moly tube from a company called Preformance Metals in Sydney...great service and speedy delivery.I did a fair bit of reading on bicycle frame building...I first built a frame out of 19mm timber dowel,glued and fiber-glassed together..this enabled me to trial fit forks, swing arm, rear shock and batteries...I'm glad I took this path because i did have to make alterations to get things right...cheaper to make mistakes in timber than chome-moly...I was suprised at how strong the timber frame was I could ride the bike around the back yard.

Thanks mate (and an excellent idea - I wish I had thought of that :roll: )

Hyena said:

1st photo was one my trial fit-ups.... I did not ride this one. 2nd photo...frame on bench, this one when fitted up I could ride around yard, I now wish that I had taken a photo with me sitting on it, but at the time that was not important, I was more interested in starting on the real chrome-moly frame now that i had the dimentions sorted out.

OKIMG_4292_1.JPGIMG_0015.JPG

Back