Backyard-Millyard ebike.

carv'n marv'n said:
love the mock-up... a most valuable exercise. I did my mock-up using PVC tube and hot glue...needless to say I couldn't ride it.
Hey cnm
I agree 100%, for me as a beginner in unknown territory it was worth the time and effort...To me a physical mock-up answers all questions.

absolutely awsome mate, very close to what ive been thinking of doing myself! can i ask what kind of welds/welder you used? Ive got a ceapo mig welder but after doing some research im thinking that I might have to invest in a tig welder and maybe even some lessons!

Those mockups are great too! Makes me wonder just how strong you could make a timber+carbon fibre/fibreglass bike... :shock:

Pretty strong actually - a guy at work build a bamboo fixed gear bike with carbon fibre lugs. He rides it every day of the week ~10-15km each way for the last 2-3 years and counting. The only problem he had was a driver failing to notice him once :roll:

Nice - another fellow novocastrian :)

Was that mock-up made from copper pipe and fittings - I like it :)

Hyena got me started on hub motors as well, and Lipo and lots and lots of amps :mrgreen: (sig is outdated now, there is far more evil going on that that now)

Hello sc,
I used a CIG gassless welder...a lot of guys on this site use them...check out Aussie Jesster's builds...his builds sold me on the gassless path...hey I only wanted to make one frame...and it worked fine...

I had to get a few shaft mounted grinding stones, a few 20mm dia flapper wheels,...I finnished all the welds with a 19/20mm dia round bastard file....
There was a lot of cleaning up to do...but it was worth the time and effort...

Hello heathyoung,
I made the trial frame out of timber dowel and fiberglass.....I live in carrington...are you close by?...I would like to chat with a local about Ebike things...

Hyena helped me out alot with my needs as well....and hopefuly in the future when I want to hot things up abit....

That frame is a work of art. I would love to get my hands on the plans for it!

Hey pure,
No plans matey...I saw a photo here on ES of a bike built by Steve Millyard.....I had a " y" shape dual suspension cheapy frame, made the builing jig to suit..eg headstock angle..seatpost position..wheel base.....and took it from there....

heathyoung said:
Hyena got me started on hub motors as well, and Lipo and lots and lots of amps :mrgreen:
:mrgreen:

As Philistine says I'm the Mr Asia of ebikes, corrupting people and leading them astray my drug of choice - POWAAAH :twisted:

Thats definately a sweet frame tri-lobe and is screaming for some more juice :)

Hello Jay,
Yes mate you'll be the first person I see when the times comes to hot this girl up...I'm thinking 750w-1000w hubmotor,lipo batteries and controller to suit.
That will probably be around the end of the year...need to build the bank account up abit first or win loto...

Hyena said:
Yeah I guess building your bike out of trees is not a good way to stand out on the edge of the road :lol:

if that logic works then im gonna build my next bike out of 30 horses. that way it will have 30 horsepower!!! wooo! :lol:

tri-lobe said:
Hello sc,
I used a CIG gassless welder...a lot of guys on this site use them...check out Aussie Jesster's builds...his builds sold me on the gassless path...hey I only wanted to make one frame...and it worked fine...

I had to get a few shaft mounted grinding stones, a few 20mm dia flapper wheels,...I finnished all the welds with a 19/20mm dia round bastard file....
There was a lot of cleaning up to do...but it was worth the time and effort...

is CIG just the brand of welder? like this
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/100-amp-CIG-gasless-mig-welder-/140534075140#ht_500wt_1146 :?:

tri-lobe said:
Hey pure,
No plans matey...I saw a photo here on ES of a bike built by Steve Millyard.....I had a " y" shape dual suspension cheapy frame, made the builing jig to suit..eg headstock angle..seatpost position..wheel base.....and took it from there....

Thats a shame man.. Spend 20 minutes taking some measurements and do a rough sketch, then hand that to the Mrs or anyone who is PC savvy and have them draw out something on a PDf...I'm pretty sure people round here would be interested..$$ *wink wink* $$

I have a brother who is a master welder who's alwasy looking for his next project. You know he owes me a couple back xmas gifts lol.

Hey sc,
Yes, very similar...the good thing about them is that you can get all spare parts here in aus and you can get the wire at bunnings hardware....

tri-lobe said:
Yes mate you'll be the first person I see when the times comes to hot this girl up...I'm thinking 750w-1000w hubmotor,lipo batteries and controller to suit.

Happy to hook you up mate but I refuse to give you anything under 2000w for that bad boy :mrgreen:

JAY......
Are you fair dinkum?....2000watts.....how big a battery pack would one need to push that beasty along?.....my heads spinning...wwoohh...

tri-lobe said:
JAY......
Are you fair dinkum?....2000watts.....how big a battery pack would one need to push that beasty along?.....my heads spinning...wwoohh...

just one of the 5s 5ah 20c batterys ive got on my bike can output 2kw continuosly, and ive got 8 of em! :shock:

but realistically im going to be running them well within their rated outputs, to hopefully extend their cycle life a bit... point is you dont need many batts to get 2kw, unless you want big range at that power.

That is beautiful Tri-lobe, 2 thumbs up! :D

tri-lobe said:
JAY......
Thats conservative for Jay, i thought he'd jump you straight up to 5kw :wink:

Very nice!

Paul :D

tri-lobe said:
Hello heathyoung,
I made the trial frame out of timber dowel and fiberglass.....I live in carrington...are you close by?...I would like to chat with a local about Ebike things...

Hyena helped me out alot with my needs as well....and hopefuly in the future when I want to hot things up abit....

I live in maryland, but work in hamilton. I can let you see what you think of 3Kw, its lots of fun :) 4Kw spat me off the back cause I wasn't paying enough attention.

Hello Heathyoung,
I can do Maryland on a sat/sun at a time that's convenient for yourself....just not this w/e, it's spoken for...PM me when it suits you and we'll take it from there....I'll have to pick your brains about lipo and chargers and plenty of other things......I might be able now to get my head around things by having a look and chat in a real world example...Thank you..

tri-lobe said:
JAY......

Lipo is built with tardis technology, their capacity is bigger on the inside :lol:
Once you get away from lifepo4 you'll never go back.
This is a 10ah pack that will get you around 20-30kms range depending on how you ride. Weight is just over 3kg.

lipo1.jpg

I'll have to pick your brains about lipo and chargers and plenty of other things......I might be able now to get my head around things by having a look and chat in a real world example.

If you want to DIY then by all means but if I build you a kit it'll come all plug and play with matching connectors, suitable charger and a preconfigured foolproof lipo charging harnesses. That's exactly why I build these kits, so people don't have to research and get their head around everything (or can't)

Timma2500 said:
Thats conservative for Jay, i thought he'd jump you straight up to 5kw :wink:
Heh the guy is after a 4 cylinder, I thought I'd offer a big 6 before jumping to the V8 :lol:

Back