Finally bought one

Well that SUX. I was trying to get all the correct info before we bought that pack. That's why the guy went Ebay, because I was taking too long talking with brokers/shippers. The guy I was dealing with guaranteed me that the total price was $378.00 something??

Remember that I told you that might happen ?? The shipping company has everyone by the short hairs. That sticker on the pack says it's OK to ship. SEE, they put it ON the truck, then, hold people hostage. :roll: That's why I wanted it back into that protective armor cover.

IF you don't use all the modules, LET ME KNOW.

Harold

yopappamon said:
After 3 days of wrangling the battery is freed up and moving east! I should see it Tuesday or Wednesday.

Congratulations, that must be a relief. :D Did they stick you with extra charges?

-JD

Other charges for hazmat, etc?? Good to see it's finally showed up.

yopappamon said:
And it's mine! All mine!! Muahahahahaha!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Yay! Congrats! I hope you post lots of teardown pictures. :mrgreen:

-JD

That battery pack looks like new once opened up! Car looks good too. About the oxidized paint I had good luck with Maguire's No. 7 if they still make it but that's probably your last concern right now. :D

The shipping ended up at $363. That included pick up from a residence, lift gate on pickup, hazmat charges, and insurance. Not too bad at all. I used FreightQuote.com they were very helpful. Especially with the hazmat stuff. They also gave me a $13,000 line of credit with them. :shock: :?: :!:

I declared it at 490 lbs, it must not have been more since they didn't report an extra charge or post a weigh slip.

:eek: Hi,
Got 2 groups home, working on charging one.
What is the number of cells S and P and AH of each cell per group? How many groups are in the pack, and are they all the same size?

Each cell is 15ah, each cell slice has 3 LG pouch cells paralleled, can't change that without destroying the packs.

4 groups
Group 1:
30s3p
1350ah

Group 2 & 3:
24s3p
1080ah

Group 4:
18s3p
810ah

4320ah Total

I can pair Group 1 & 4, and Group 2 & 3 to get 48s3p each. If I parallel them I will have 48s6p. 6x15ah = 90ah per parallel group. 4x48 = 192 volts

Hi,

I can pair Group 1 & 4, and Group 2 & 3 to get 48s3p each. If I parallel them I will have 48s6p. 6x15ah = 90ah per parallel group. 4x48 = 192 volts
Excellent, very convenient!

Thank you for the information!

yopappamon said:
Each cell is 15ah, each cell slice has 3 LG pouch cells paralleled, can't change that without destroying the packs.

4 groups
Group 1:
30s3p
1350ah

Group 2 & 3:
24s3p
1080ah

Group 4:
18s3p
810ah

4320ah Total
s
No, sorry but you cannot calculate Ahr that way.
A 3p group will only give you 45 Ahr, no matter how many series cells you join together .
So your total is 96s, but still only 45 Ahr.

Hi,

What are the dimensions of the sub-packs?

Are you going to use the water cooling?

Group 2 & 3:
24s3p
How hard would it be to remove one or more 3P groups?

MitchJi said:
Hi,

What are the dimensions of the sub-packs?

Are you going to use the water cooling?

Group 2 & 3:
24s3p
How hard would it be to remove one or more 3P groups?

I'll get dimensions for you soon. I'm thinking no on the cooling since I'm not going to use huge amps compared to the Volt. I'll monitor the temperature and see it it's necessary.

I don't think it would be too hard to separate the slices. There's a cover over the tabs. I don't know how the cell tabs are joined to the next but the whole pack is held together with long rods end to end.

Two packs are charged and in the car waiting for wiring and a test run.

a478bfaec1d131caae68d3e9ee0cb21b.jpg

Have you been following Yabert testing Volt packs over on the DiyEv car forum ??....
http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/power-capability-chevy-volt-battery-109698.html

They suggest a really strong pack ..15+ C. ,!

EDIT ..link fixed.

Hillhater said:
Have you been following Yabert testing Volt packs over on the DiyEv car forum ??....

http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums...ry-109698.html

They suggest a really strong pack ..15+ C. ,!
Can you fix the link (might require using url tags)?

Thanks!

Hi,

Finally watched the youtube video. Thanks hh!
I tried earlier but couldn't read the text on my phone.
yopappamon said:
I'm hoping between my self (industrial controls engineer) and my brother (retired Delphi Automotive electronics engineer) we can reverse engineer the CAN interface to the battery manager.
I think it would be much easier to find the necessary information, or if necessary reverse engineer the I/O of the lower level chips.
FirefoxScreenSnapz004.jpg
FirefoxScreenSnapz001.jpg
FirefoxScreenSnapz002.jpg
Also the OEM BMS does not fully charge or discharge the pack.

I think temperature controlled fans connected to the water inlets, might do a decent job of cooling, if necessary.

Hi,

The slides from the youtube video are here:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwHvhEbCHHEleUp3TUMxOUwzdmM/edit?pli=1

Using the Leaf modules it would be simple to make one series string with (for example) 224S 4P (120AH). Using the Volt sub-packs the closest you could easily come to that would be to use two series strings of 24s 3P each. How much more complicated will it be to build a pack with multiple series strings (the OP is planning 2 series strings of 48S 3P).

A pdf with a little more info is here (GM rates the cells at 7.8C):
View attachment Matthe_GM_Battery_panel_Volt.pdf
Adobe ReaderScreenSnapz001.jpg

Back