Giant DH Team, Cromotor, 18fet Lyen, 111v Lipo

binlagin said:
A question for the electrical guru's... How does Paralleling my batterys pack reduce the amp's being pulled from each Pack configuration? Is it simply divide AMP's being pulled by number of paralleled packs?

no need for a guru here. this is simple math. if you parallel a pack it's like one big pack.
so paralleling 2 6s1p packs with 5.000mah gives you 6s2p with a total of 10.000mah.
as each cell still is capable of eg 25c, the pack can now provide double the power.

each cell only sees half the current when power stays the same. (or a third if you put 3 in parallel, and so on ...)

it's now not 6x 3,7v, it's 6x 7,4v. so each cell has 7.4v, and as P=U*I your assumption is correct :)

izeman said:
Accountant said:
44v @ 15AH only ?

15ah is only the capacity of the pack. he didn't mention the current. if it was a typo and he meant 15a current - then i agree -LAME *ggg*

Surely he was just referring to battery capacity :)
Besides i don't think it'd plough through the thick snow that easily if it was only running 15a!

Paul :D

I just got back from testing out the 18FET Lyen controller programmed at 65A on the Controller and 95A on the phase with the Cromotor... all I can say is OMG!

I took it down the street and got it up to 65km/h in a blink of an eye before I ran out of street. I took it to the park and ripped around in the snow.. WOW... this thing is awesome!!!!

I can't wait for all the snow to go away now!

I'll post a video tomorrow!

you are going to love the top speed also...Just find a street that meets you requirements :)

rojitor said:
Seems the giant dh is getting popular ;) very nice setup binladin!

I wonder why ?

:lol:

Doc

binlagin said:
I just got back from testing out the 18FET Lyen controller programmed at 65A on the Controller and 95A on the phase with the Cromotor... all I can say is OMG!

I took it down the street and got it up to 65km/h in a blink of an eye before I ran out of street. I took it to the park and ripped around in the snow.. WOW... this thing is awesome!!!!

I can't wait for all the snow to go away now!

I'll post a video tomorrow!

Every time i hide my bike i can feel my heart pounding! Try it with more phase current and you ll be scared shitless.

gensem said:
Every time i hide my bike i can feel my heart pounding! Try it with more phase current and you ll be scared shitless.

I know this is a newb question though... but how can I put more AMP's to the phase wires if I'm only giving 65A to the controller? Are the phase wires running a different voltage then my battery?

I bought 3 of these lastnight, because while playing in the snow I noticed my controller getting quite hot!
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80100406/

binlagin said:
I know this is a newb question though... but how can I put more AMP's to the phase wires if I'm only giving 65A to the controller? Are the phase wires running a different voltage then my battery?

I bought 3 of these lastnight, because while playing in the snow I noticed my controller getting quite hot!
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80100406/

There is a thing running inside your controller called PWM.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse-width_modulation

According to you your controller is running 65a main and 95a phase so you got have wave modulation running until the motor reachs a certain speed. Allowing more amps during the launch would make the bike get to speed faster (and do wheelies too).
You could be running 100v 50a battery and when you hit the throttle to take off the motor would be getting something like 33v 150a phase (If you programmed the controller to allow such amps on the phase).

You need a programing cable and the appropiate lead on the controller to change thoses values. If there controller came from Lyen drop him a line about the programing software and the programing adapter.

Yea, I have the TTY to USB programing adapter... I feel like I'm part of a MotoGP pit crew when I kneel down beside my bike with my laptop which is connected by USB.

Thanks for the PWM resource... I'll do some more reading! <3 ebikes!

I gotta do some chores around the house then I'll be taking the GoPro out and seeing what it's capeable of... I think I might just leave the Phase AMPerage at 95... for now!

Updates!

I've been a busy working on the bike :D

I've installed the rear brake with an extended brake line. I also swapped out my tires for hookworms now that there is asphalt outside!

I charged up the batteries to 125v and set my phase wires to 125amp. This is the result!

[youtube]ZnoxQNqYQoQ[/youtube]

OKAY OKAY...now i get what accountant is saying. GUYS BE CAREFUL !! ITS NO JOKE WHEN YOU FALL DOWNR , EVEN CARS SLIP on water AT SOME POINT. You understand that by given specs you are matching the power of x6 motor ?
The frame must be 100 percent safe to ride like this, the brakes need to be 100% clean etc...

I think you flew by me when taking that vid, I saw somebody on what appeared to be a tiny motorcycle fly by me as I passed the Queensway-Carleton hospital on Baseline Road. Dude, you were going FAST!

Yeah... no offense taken at all, it's a reality check Markobetti! Thanks for keeping my head level :)

This bike is now a fast and powerful machine. It needs to be treated with respect and I must be 100% confident in my riding and mechanical skills when getting aboard and bringing it up to these speeds.

In this video I'm wearing full motorcycle gear under my jeans and yellow jacket. I try to take safety as serious as possible. Even thou some might not think so in this video :p

hookworks suck on wet grass/wet. just a friendly reminder!! looking GREAT!!!!!!!!!!

JoramsWeapon said:
I think you flew by me when taking that vid, I saw somebody on what appeared to be a tiny motorcycle fly by me as I passed the Queensway-Carleton hospital on Baseline Road. Dude, you were going FAST!
Hahah, such a small world to know that I was spotted by an ES member!

Time to get some ES stickers for the bike :) Do you have an ebike? We'll have to meetup and go for a ride! :D

Very small world indeed, I grew up on Iris Street just beside the Ikea. Only rarely do I see an ebiker and they're never on anything as interesting as yours just the expensive bolt-on kits like the BionX. I do have a few bikes and I'd love to ride with you but none of them are going to keep up with that Cromotor though, my 9C 1606 tops out at 60km/h most days. I do have a reservation for the same Cromotor you have but I've run out of funding until I file my taxes :twisted:. Either that or it's back to pasta and sardines until I can order more equipment, and before I thought mopeds cut holes in my wallet...

Damn that's too fast! But hey becareful on wet road and try think safety comes first than being sorry if you crash. OUCH :lol:

I am looking forward hand 2 of cromotors coming end of this month. 8)

Thanks for posting that video. I've been waiting for some others to post their experiences with the motor. You see how powerful it is in your bike, imagine what it feels like in mine with 20" wheels. The acceleration is amazing and during normal riding the bicycle is still efficient if you can stay out of the throttle.

If you have more amps available with your controller to feed it, you'll go even faster and accelerate harder. These motors are nutty powerful for bicycles. I hope those new to the high power game decide to start off on lower voltages. You and I are both at 125V which is serious bad boy territory.

I was driving the truck that day - not even a chance of catching him! I took the bike for a rip later that day, eyes crossed fast!

The real question is: will cops give chase? And what would the fine be?

I like the speed that the camera directly translate. this give real impression of your true speed!

at 2:21 i heard your motor temp alarm that chime right?

Hey hey!.. overtemp a little bit?

What was the alarm temperature set to ?

At 113km/h my X5 stabilize at 121 celsius no prob, the motor seem to be in the right efficiency spot with 10-11kW continuous.

Nice video.. and like other said, be carefull :wink: powerfull Ebikes must make us enjoy life and not destroy it :wink:

Doc

zombiess said:
Thanks for posting that video. I've been waiting for some others to post their experiences with the motor. You see how powerful it is in your bike, imagine what it feels like in mine with 20" wheels. The acceleration is amazing and during normal riding the bicycle is still efficient if you can stay out of the throttle.

If you have more amps available with your controller to feed it, you'll go even faster and accelerate harder. These motors are nutty powerful for bicycles. I hope those new to the high power game decide to start off on lower voltages. You and I are both at 125V which is serious bad boy territory.

With 20" inch wheels... I can appreciate why you need a longer swing arm!! OMG!! If I don't learn forward while accelerating... my front wheel wants up lift off!

Admittedly, this is my first build, but I have a few years of motorcycle track riding and wrenching experience with some basic electronics knowledge. So I don't feel I come completely ill-equiped to build somthing like this. With alot of reading and great resources like this site, I've been able to slowly put together this build.

My controller apparently supports up to 150amps+. I'm afraid I'm going to damage my wires or have a wheel go out on me at speed. I'm using the Turnigy 10g silicone wires for my phase and main leads with 6mm bullets... nothing has gotten warm yet, but I'm just taking my time. I think i'm going to order some 8g wire and some even bigger connectors! I'm just going to slowly increase the AMPs now until I'm comfortable everything is stable.

Now my next challenge... determine my maximum distance to safe LVC level. I need to rewire my batteries for methods LVC protection system... but that's next!

Does everyone think I could commute 20km round trip with this configuration? 30s @ 10AH?

Doctorbass said:
I like the speed that the camera directly translate. this give real impression of your true speed!
Hahaha, thanks! The lines start to blur really fast! :p

Doctorbass said:
at 2:21 i heard your motor temp alarm that chime right?
Hey hey!.. overtemp a little bit?
I currently don't have a probe in my motor, I have the probe connected to my controller. My motor wasn't even warm after this.

I didn't know there was even an alarm on this temperature gauage. However it was set at 50c to go off... my controller reached a 55c max temp on that run, which was just luke warm to the touch.

How hot is safe for the controller? 70c?

The first day with this controller in heavy snow.. It got so hot i couldn't touch it... so I had to get one of the Ikea themometers to ensure it never happens again!

Back