Has anyone tried ebikes.ca's Nine Continent hub motor?

So far I love the 9C front motor. I don't notice any cogging and the instant start controller for my recumbent is nice. I just leave it in high gear now. I noticed Justin has rear motors now too.. I am a little worried about spokes though since all the weight is on the back of my recumbents. Sounds like with the right wheelbuild it should be no problem.http://www.ebike.ca/store/store_nc.php

Has anyone compared rolling resistance of x5 and 9C ? Or perhaps measured no-load current for 9C ?

I am planning a power system for my next built (recumbent). I want to use direct drive hub for regen braking (like my current x5 setup). But I want something with much less friction than x5.

philf said:
Skipping the sales pitch...

Thanks, johnbear, for getting me thinking about this again. As mentioned, I had a 7 speed freewheel (11 - 28) that I wasn't even going to TRY to mount on my bike, as the existing 5 speed seemed to be already maxing out the space I had available. I was already spreading the rear dropouts a bit to get THAT to fit, so anything taller was out.

After seeing your post, I was inspired to chuck aside the measurements I'd taken with the trusty digital calipers (and the academic conclusion that went with that exercise) and "just see" how bad the fit would be if I just tried the parts out for real.

Here's the freewheel in question...

shimano7spd3.jpg

And after moving a few things around and only adding 2 spacers, this (fuzzy) picture shows the degree to which the whole arrangement would fall short...

shimano7spdspread2.jpg

Just about HALF the thickness of the dropout "forks" themselves. Pffft. If the frame can't stand being opened THAT much (and it does so EASILY), then I'll have to rethink my appreciation for the technology that makes some of these alloys possible...

So, I went for it. I *DID* need to slightly dish my wheel to compensate, but we're talking about a difference which was easily made up with 3/4 turn of each spoke nipple (tightened on the freewheel side, loosened on the opposite).

With all said and done -wheel exactly centered, derailleur adjusted, and shifter indexing tweaked - it works PERFECTLY. But I've got the clearance with the frame down to a minimum...

shimano7spd1.jpg

The picture makes it look *slightly* tighter than it really is - nothing clashes/rubs/scratches/grinds (or even touches) in ANY of the 21 speed combinations!

Back to the subject matter of the thread... Is the Nine Continent rear wheel option THAT dimensionally different from a Golden Motor? I realize that it's possible that I lucked out getting the particular freewheel I did from a local shop (it might be discontinued), but the combination does work brilliantly. Of course, I've been given to understand that your mileage can vary with the machining of the axles on some hub motors (from unit to unit) - maybe I got lucky twice?

Thanks again, johnbear, for moving me to spend a few hours rather well!

OK fess up where did you get the freewheel? I have spent many hours on the net looking for that. I finally settled for a 13 Megarange as it was all I could find. I stretched my Schwinn rear droputs apart that much and have 2K+ on it with the 36 500W gm at 48v with no problems motor or frame yet.

Duane

Where do you go to buy the hub motor itself? It seems everyone is offering it as a part of a kit. Also, does a rear version exist?

not sure if your question has been answered
http://www.ebikes.ca/store/store_motors.php

curious said:
Has anyone compared rolling resistance of x5 and 9C ? Or perhaps measured no-load current for 9C ?

I am planning a power system for my next built (recumbent). I want to use direct drive hub for regen braking (like my current x5 setup). But I want something with much less friction than x5.

I'm pretty sure it has a lot less than an x5 series. I don't notice much resistance at all. Dogman has both now. Maybe he will chime in.

curious said:

I've got a 9C and find cogging tb not noticible until I apply some throttle and then resume no assist at all. Then I notice cogging for 1-2 minutes. After 1-2 minutes the cogging seems to go back to being not noticible.

My initial reaction was that there is some sort of variable cogging effect, but people who have forgotten more than I'll ever know tell me it's just my imagination.

Bottom line, though, I'd say the cogging on a 9C is minimal. If you live anywhere near Philadelphia PA (USA) you're welcome to give mine a try.

If things go as scheduled, I should have a 400w geared eZee to compare it against tomorrow (2/9) or the next day and I'll let you know if I can perceive a diff.

PeteCress said:
If things go as scheduled, I should have a 400w geared eZee to compare it against tomorrow (2/9) or the next day and I'll let you know if I can perceive a diff.

Here's my take after A/B-ing the two rigs:

• Riding just the 9C rig, I am hard-pressed to detect the cogging. As mentioned before, there is an illusion of additional cogging for a minute or so after coming off the throttle; but it's just that: an illusion bc I get the same effect with my geared/freewheeling motor
  • When I flip-flop between the eZee and 9C rigs, I can definately feel the cogging on the 9C
  • Forced to choose one or the other - and being one who pedals 90% of the time and only uses the motor occasionally - I would choose the eZee for it's freewheeling and lighter weight.
  • If I were going to ride most or all of the time with at least some throttle, I would have to give serious consideration to the 9C bco it's reputedly greater durability and perceptably greater power/torque. Also, although neither motor's noise bothers me, the 9C's lower noise level would be in it's favor under continuous use.

Back