Infineon XC846 72V 45 Amp Controller

Knuckles,

What's goin' on w/ the delivery of my Infineon controller? You quoted a 2 week delay but we are now at about 6 weeks since I paid you. In the meantime, I've purchase so much gas for commuting in my pickup truck that I could've bought a Kelly controller a couple of times!

Thanks,

-Cal

calinb said:
Knuckles,

What's goin' on w/ the delivery of my Infineon controller? You quoted a 2 week delay but we are now at about 6 weeks since I paid you. In the meantime, I've purchase so much gas for commuting in my pickup truck that I could've bought a Kelly controller a couple of times!

Thanks,

-Cal

Clearly an oversight on my part. My apologies.
I sent you a PM and I want to get this resolved right away.

-Knuckles

Got it! Thanks for sending via express mail, Knuckles. It looks really good. The build quality is much higher than my old C-lyte version 2.

I'll try to figure out how to hook it up, including my cruise contol, this weekend. I think your instructions pretty much cover it all, except perhaps the cruise control.

-Cal

seems infineon chip is set for 27mhz ( khz??)
going back to v2 controller thread and the timing issue of halls related to chip frequency
I got some v2 controller chips modded for 40mhz ( sorry no idea how they did it), and tested bmc motor up to 100v ( no load) to see max rpm, just wondering if anyone can work out what max rpm would before critical rpm reached on 27mhz, will be able to use the rpm values at different voltages on modded v2 to work out max voltage can run infineon and bmc together ( before hitting critical rpm) well get a rough idea anyway.
would think v2 and infineon controllers will give similar speeds at given voltages so will give a half decent guesstimate, also guessing its going to be possible to increase infinion chip speed to 40mhz also ( once again sorry no idea on how thats done but since it worked on v2 guessing infineon maker will know how to increase to 40mhz, would be nice if that software knuckles has had a selection for chip speed)

solarbbq2003 said:
seems infineon chip is set for 27mhz ( khz??)
going back to v2 controller thread and the timing issue of halls related to chip frequency
I got some v2 controller chips modded for 40mhz ( sorry no idea how they did it), and tested bmc motor up to 100v ( no load) to see max rpm, just wondering if anyone can work out what max rpm would before critical rpm reached on 27mhz, will be able to use the rpm values at different voltages on modded v2 to work out max voltage can run infineon and bmc together ( before hitting critical rpm) well get a rough idea anyway.
would think v2 and infineon controllers will give similar speeds at given voltages so will give a half decent guesstimate, also guessing its going to be possible to increase infinion chip speed to 40mhz also ( once again sorry no idea on how thats done but since it worked on v2 guessing infineon maker will know how to increase to 40mhz, would be nice if that software knuckles has had a selection for chip speed)
Hi
By v2 do you mean the infineon, no load test are being done with a puma 36 v tests finnished using full speed programming sister thread to the infineon technial thread will be started soon.

BMC at 100v dangerous, them wires won't handle it for long.

The infineon should not need over clocking.

no v2 is refly controller, digital one used by crystalyte,
27mhz on infineon you'll find there a limit to max rpm as voltage goes up when using on bmc motor,
not sure at what voltage but you'll reach limit where hall signals faster than chip can handle,
ya 100v dangerous, was just no load test to see max rpm of rotor at 100v on v2 controller from memory it was somewhere around 3,300rpm but its in the v2 thread. On 27mhz you'll be limited to what voltage can go up to on bmc, someone will have to test it i guess, might be ok on 60v, but 72volt might reach the limit, 40mhz would probably be better for guys wanting to experiment with infineon with bmc geared motor at higher voltages.

I'll make a guess infineon at 27mhz will run bmc on 60v, but wont run it on 72volt full throttle, will hit critical frequency
a bit under 70v...........guesstimate

hi
an infineon any voltage controller has just been tried with a puma at 98v no load rpm of motor was 4750, wheel rpm was 950, with a 26 inch wheel i calculate you could of had it spinning at 73.5 mph. that would not be a load speed but this is to show there is no problem with the infineon and pumas they have 32 poles and a 5:1 gear reduction bmc motors and pumas have a common ancestor.
just started my tests at 72v nimh fresh off the charger 78.1v I ran the puma up to full speed to find out just what it would do, results motor rpm 3887, hub rpm 777, speed in a 26inch wheel 60 mph. mesurments as always are taken with a power analyzer pro by Medusa using a back EMF sensor.

wholly crap thats fast, way faster than modded v2 at same voltage, I suspect chip isn't running on 27mhz!
nice work

solarbbq2003 said:
knuckles you gotta chat with fechter on his critical frequency chip speed discovery!

I don't think the clock speed is a factor with the infineon chips. They seem to be plenty fast right out of the box.

solarbbq2003 said:
knuckles you gotta chat with fechter on his critical frequency chip speed discovery!

Just to clarify ... The "critical frequency" issue was associated with the old (original) pic-micro based "crazy" controller.
I suspect the archaic software used on that old pcb was very sloppy.

The Infineon is all-new and is (most likely) running entirely different and efficient code.
The Infinon code on the 27-mhz XC846 chip has proven acceptable with PUMA and BMC at very high rotor rpm.

So it's not just the MCU speed (in mhz) it is also a matter of the MCU software code.

Bottom line ... Infineon works PERFECTLY WELL with the BMC at 72V+ ...
Maybe dirtdad can report actual no-load and road testing of the Infineon/BMC at higher voltages ...

That would be the best way to put any doubt to rest.

I'm convinced ( but it does assume the chip is running on 27mhz). It does though raise a new area, as previously it was thought the clock speed was the limiting factor on what rpm was achievable, if the infineon is running on 27mhz, then it would mean something other than just clock speed determines max rpm, you might be right about software being another factor, but changing crystals ( resonators) to higher frequency on some boards that use a crystal for the cpu speed did allow for higher rpm use. Bottom line is as long as it works, I think its extremely good news that a not too expensive controller can be very versatile for lots of different motors.
Geoff57 can you post any info on the controller you used for the testing, or is there info already up on it? Is it a modded infineon or "as is" from keywin?

hi
the Infineon used was an infineon anyvoltage controller with 4310 fet's, from the UK supplyer team hybrid I am working with them, I get the infineon's ready for them, team hybrid's main motor is the puma, the reason for the interest in the infineon is it is the best controller found for the puma for a long time.

Would this Infineon controler work well on a 48 volt Crystalite 406 hub motor also?

Is this a clasification # or a "limit". Put another way, do us 48 volt people just order the 48 volt model?

I don't understand the frequency lingo fully, but would like to try the Infineon controler for my 406 on 20" wheel.

Yes, it should work fine. To run at 48v, you just need to adjust the LVC. I think the regulator will be OK, but you might possibly need to jumper one of the resistors depending on how it's built.

Gosh ... I guess it takes time to sink in ... I PROGRAM the Infineon to be ANYTHING you want it to be! :roll:

example ...
http://cgi.ebay.com/e-bike-24V-72V-30amp-controller-for-electric-BLDC-motor_W0QQitemZ150311080373QQihZ005QQcategoryZ11332QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

CUSTOM PROGRAMMED Multi-Voltage BLDC Controller for e bike ... SIMPLY indicate YOUR DESIRED VOLTAGE SETTING with your payment ... Programmed to accept CLIENTS BATTERY VOLTAGE ... Ideal for 24 VOLT, 36 VOLT, 48 VOLT, 60 VOLT or 72 VOLT Battery Systems ... DELIVERS up to 30 AMPS (or 50 AMPS) of POWER! ... A GREAT ALL-PURPOSE controller ... Custom made for aggressive e bike enthusiasts with DIRECT DRIVE AND GEARED Motors ... Latest Design by SHENZHEN Engineers ... Uses the NEW INFINEON XC846 PROCESSOR! ... Made-Tough and Built-to-Last ... This controller puts out PLENTY OF POWER! ... The Low Voltage Cutoff (LVC) on this controller is CUSTOM SET for CLIENTS BATTERY VOLTAGE ... This controller is for ALL DIRECT DRIVE MOTORS AND PUMA/BMC HIGH RPM GEARED MOTORS! ... Works with virtually ANY BLDC MOTOR with no limitations ... PLEASE SPECIFY YOUR BATTERY VOLTAGE WITH YOUR PAYMENT ... Please allow 2-3 weeks for delivery ... Shipping to 50 US States ONLY ... USPS Priority Mail Shipping and handling only $9.50 ... Contact Info: rnich01@optonline.net … Payment by PayPal Only Please.

But HECK ... Just look HERE! ... http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6352

and

Learn ALL ABOUT IT here ... http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7361

-K

Checked some links, :shock: Infineon serves a large market in electronics, not only motor drive controlers.

I think I'm going to check these suckers out, and have a spare controler to test against each other.

recumbent said:
Would this Infineon controler work well on a 48 volt Crystalite 406 hub motor also?

Is this a clasification # or a "limit". Put another way, do us 48 volt people just order the 48 volt model?

I don't understand the frequency lingo fully, but would like to try the Infineon controler for my 406 on 20" wheel.

hi to clarify a few things about all the tests I am doing, they are being done on an infineon controller with 4310 fet's , the controller type is an any voltage model so I could get the full range of voltages on one controller,it is no good changing more than one paramiters in tests otherwise the tests would be invalid. for normal ebikeing a fixed voltage controller is fine unless you either run the bike at difrent voltages further apart than 32v (40v is the limit 32v is to allow for fresh off the charger peak voltage in a pack), the infineon has a way to do away with the idea of buying 2 36v battery packs and then run them in either both paraellel or series using some switching method, with the infineon it can be programed to run at the speed you want within reason sofar we have only one person who is not happy on the range but that is the UK importer at Team Hybrid he wants to go at 4mph max speed in a 20" wheel on 36v so his buyers can use their wheelchairs in the supermarket and mall, I've told him i think it will only go down to about 5 to 6mph this will be given a road test within the week, no ebiker would want to go that slow but the infineon works on percentages so if max speed at 36v is 20mph and you have it set to 50% we hope to get a max speed of 10 mph, this is one of the things the tests are being done to find out, and with a choice of 3 speeds avalible the idea of altering a battery pack from 72v to get a lower speed and so greater range may be a thing of the past.

the only reason for "any voltage" controllers will be if either you use the same controller on diffrent bikes with diffrent voltage packs or more likely you are staring and have bought say a 36v pack but if you like it you think you will want to upgrade to a higher voltage battery pack with the any voltage controller its just about "plug 'n' play".

dont worry about frequency that only became an issue with geared motors not direct drives like the 406 you have, and then never with the infineon only with the previous controllers from the same source china these are no longer sold as the infineons are much superior, BTW as you have a DD motor ask about reverse speed you might find it useful the percent speeds for that have a max of 70% and go down to about 15% what this translats to in real speeds with a DD motor I cannot say.

Knuckles:

I've searched this thread, and the question has been asked but the answer is not clear, at least not to me.

Can resistive throttles be used with this controller?

If I could find the datasheet for the Infineon XC846, I could probably answer this question myself, but I'm guessing that this part is semi-custom or at least proprietary with the controller OEM.

Thanks,

Willie

wanders said:
Thanks,

Willie

Yes, a resistive throttle can be used, but it will probably require adding a small resistor in series with the + and - throttle wires to get the proper response. This is really quite easy.
If you have a 5k throttle, the resistors would be around 1k to 1.2k.

Hey fetcher, look at the status under your avatar! It looks like you can now time-travel with your ebike... :lol:
http://www.myteespot.com/images/Images_d/DSCF0712.jpg

fechter said:
wanders said:
Thanks,

Willie

Yes, a resistive throttle can be used, but it will probably require adding a small resistor in series with the + and - throttle wires to get the proper response. This is really quite easy.
If you have a 5k throttle, the resistors would be around 1k to 1.2k.
Hi
When I was testing I used a resistive throttle a 5 k screw turn blue the same one we use for LVC.
Voltage range is 0.8 to 3.3, this worked with no problem BUT once the throttle was low V when I raised the voltage the motor would not turn the whole setup was wires and clips I found that if I uncliped the throttle wire for a moment turned up the voltage reconnected the motor started to work, why I am not sure I should find out.
Geoff

Knuckles said:
Gosh ... I guess it takes time to sink in ... I PROGRAM the Infineon to be ANYTHING you want it to be! :roll:

example ...
http://cgi.ebay.com/e-bike-24V-72V-30am ... dZViewItem

CUSTOM PROGRAMMED Multi-Voltage BLDC Controller for e bike ... SIMPLY indicate YOUR DESIRED VOLTAGE SETTING with your payment ... Programmed to accept CLIENTS BATTERY VOLTAGE ... Ideal for 24 VOLT, 36 VOLT, 48 VOLT, 60 VOLT or 72 VOLT Battery Systems ... DELIVERS up to 30 AMPS (or 50 AMPS) of POWER! ... A GREAT ALL-PURPOSE controller ... Custom made for aggressive e bike enthusiasts with DIRECT DRIVE AND GEARED Motors ... Latest Design by SHENZHEN Engineers ... Uses the NEW INFINEON XC846 PROCESSOR! ... Made-Tough and Built-to-Last ... This controller puts out PLENTY OF POWER! ... The Low Voltage Cutoff (LVC) on this controller is CUSTOM SET for CLIENTS BATTERY VOLTAGE ... This controller is for ALL DIRECT DRIVE MOTORS AND PUMA/BMC HIGH RPM GEARED MOTORS! ... Works with virtually ANY BLDC MOTOR with no limitations ... PLEASE SPECIFY YOUR BATTERY VOLTAGE WITH YOUR PAYMENT ... Please allow 2-3 weeks for delivery ... Shipping to 50 US States ONLY ... USPS Priority Mail Shipping and handling only $9.50 ... Contact Info: rnich01@optonline.net … Payment by PayPal Only Please.

But HECK ... Just look HERE! ... viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6352

and

Learn ALL ABOUT IT here ... viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7361

-K

knuckles

would you be willing to build a project controller to handle higher voltages then 100V .. maybe 150v? the programability of this controller sounds awsome .. i'd be interested in pushing the limits of this controller!

-steveo

Back