LightingRod kit standard 09/2014 edition

biatch , you better stay there !!
IMG_20141024_153837.jpg

a small setback not directly related to the kit, one of the rails of my brooks has snapped, an attempt to weld it has failed, so now i have get a new one,
h_HQPEdtee2Mot52e6Raard4AI2gfAqTWo0IsLluTw=w707-h530-no

it might be because i'm using breezer adapter to fit it in my suspension seat post, and because of it, i have a very limited selection of suspension seat post. but it just occured to me i could make a NEW sandwitch with my machinist that might fit TWO bolts suspention seat posts!
31lKzzf5BzL.jpg

the extended plastic didn't seem to work, the chain is still loose, but i'm still gonna continue riding,

i think i'm gonna try to re-make the part as steel, i had a small suspcision it might be grinded,

i've also ordered a chain tensioner as a fallback, it doesn't seem to require a pulley.
ultw800.jpg

so i've been riding this thing for a while, and although the chain tensioned looks ok, the noise itself is really loud. i know some of it comes from against the mud guard, but some of it is something else.
[youtube]TJWqdDbwqM0[/youtube]

so this is what happens when you try to operate with a twisted upper sheet.

guess i'm gonna have to wait inline for the thicker product.

can YOU guess what's has been "vaporized" here ? :)

14%2B-%2B1

Yep, its pretty pointless to try something esle,the plates are allready bent.

emaayan said:
i hope I'M not on customs watch list for that :) but at the time when i talked to customs agent, she said they don''t do that.

"they don't do that", my white little tachat! after all of my ebike stuff I swear i'm blacklisted. I can't as much as order a Q-tip through the mail without getting a problem. They pull me out of line at the airport by name. They must have a picture of me too to be able to do that. I even try to time it so I go through with a big crowd of people and they still find me.

The biggest racket in the world is Israeli customs. I've donated more ebike parts to them than I can remember.

The stuff that gets through though… hehehe :twisted:

well i learn from my mistakes. i'm not exactly sure what's up with the controller, the customs agent told me she would take off the sticker and i could call the post office and have it returned, however they don't seem to answer the calls, so i figured i leave it resting there, till it will be returned automatically, i'll use the refund from mikes, to get more upper sheets.

the thing about mid-drives is that they easier to get , as they don't look like it would serve for something for an e-bikes. ecospeed's went through with no problems, L-R's kit and other hand was marked by the DMV as a transportation prodcut, but still went through, that's why i'm hanging on to this one. i'm having someone create a thicker upper sheets just in case i won't be able to get more sheets. (either because customs or mike won't sell them to me) .

Yea the most 'non-bike' related it can look, the better. I might even try sending hubmotors in pieces, stator removed. Worth the experiment, maybe.

i know no-one's gonna bother listening or read it, cause ya'll think i'm clueless and doesn't need to be considered. but i'm gonna write it anyway.

well it's has been almost a year since i paid 1000$ for something that is simply not working for me, mike's even refused to tell me if he's gonna send parts so my default assumption is that he won't.
the reason for it not working is the twisting upper sheets, my kit, doesn't have a chance without them. so right now i'm labeling this project as a failure.

i'm not really angry, over the years i've learned the ebike industry as whole is completely unreliable, unstable, and undergoundy in general, (any moment you could waste hundreds of dollars on something that will fail and you'll have no one to complain) let's face it even L-R's motor supplier could stop, disappear , provide the wrong motor, his laser shop could bump him down cause they just got a bigger order, or even close for the long run ,so even HIS orders can get jammed. a shop i purchased a mid-drive kit , changed owners and they suddenly stopped giving me support (i later learned the new owner seemed dumped all the mid-drive parts he had to the trash, because he didn't want to mess with the authorities)

i have a parts supplier who can't sell me stuff because his shop is buried under snow for a couple of months, and i can't get them anywhere else, an individual who used to store the bmc motors got tired of it. even ecospeed at the time (at least before the kickstarter) couldn't provide me a controller right of the counter, and i had to wait 2 months, because they changing supplies.
this is before you count the motors with over ratings , and dangerous battery packs, and poor controllers.
all in all, i'll be spending the rest of eternity scrounging for parts,wasting money, from hand to mouth. i'm sure they're all happy at his build thread that i retired.

an engineer i know in israel told me he could rebuild l-r's kit from scratch at the cost of 1500$ maybe more (he also said he would give me 6 months full warranty if any of the parts bend or brake) , but at this cost i don't want to depend on L-R'S motor cause i know it's not exactly standard and you can't get it off the shelf, so if i try to use his motors i'll be tied to belt shaft as well as it's dimensions (i understand that the original gng is wider then l-r's kit)

so i'm wondering does anyone know of a good source for gng motors?

Didn't you know that this a new product and hence protoype kit with hence protoype problems when you bought it ?

Gab said:
Didn't you know that this a new product and hence protoype kit with hence protoype problems when you bought it ?

sure i did, if i was a naive customer and didn't know anything, i would also be enraged to find out that it was never even stress tested. but i knew all those, and partially was curious to know what would be the problems, but i also counted on getting parts, even though it didn't came with much of warranty
actually my biggest fear was that i wouldn't stand up to my requirements, but for the short moment i rode it seemed to match.
but the problems that he is swamped, and while i understand he won't answer any emails at the same day, in my case i wasn't even sure if i would send them to me at all. and that was the final straw, he seemed to be constantly worried that everything i'll post in his thread might damage his business, i have no idea why, i stated many times, that actually having a build thread in the first place would usually deter normal customers, and baring that, no normal customer wouldn't even read 10 pages or 5 , in a thread, and his business seemed just to be growing no matter.
my main questions were how fast is it going to be, or how can calculate the rpm. i wasn't versed in ebike mechanic and engineering and eventually they all grew out of patience.
gng just had their kits revised with a 20mm built http://www.gngebike.com/48v500w-2015-belt i'm thinking of ordering that one, maybe build around that motor a new brackets, but using the jackshaft, and 25 mm pulley and D.I.D chain sprocket i got from an L.R , this way i'll know i have a good source for motor replacement.
or i might just order the whole thing, and try if it holds with a 2000 watts , i don't know. all i want is a mid-drive i get can easy and good quality off shelf parts for.
a few hours after just my initial inquiry, gng already made me a paypal order, and explained how they are well "trained" in shipping stuff to israel.

i would also be enraged to find out that it was never even stress tested

Yeah that's the biggest weakness of the LR that it's not tested by the manufacturer. So what that means is the customers are the guinea pigs and have to find the limit of all the parts..?? This is more of a problem as the kit is new.

With better quality kits like the AFT, they list on their website that they have done 10,000km testing, confirmed by people out there who have done over 4000 miles like cheeky bloke on the AFT:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=59063&start=125

It's easy to make something that looks like it will work or work for a short time. But it's only through testing it in real world conditions for lots of Kms that you can be certain it will work for a long time in the real world...... and even better is having real world users confirming its not manufacturer hype.

Megsy73 said:
i would also be enraged to find out that it was never even stress tested

Yeah that's the biggest weakness of the LR that it's not tested by the manufacturer. So what that means is the customers are the guinea pigs and have to find the limit of all the parts..?? This is more of a problem as the kit is new.

With better quality kits like the AFT, they list on their website that they have done 10,000km testing, confirmed by people out there who have done over 4000 miles like cheeky bloke on the AFT:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=59063&start=125

It's easy to make something that looks like it will work or work for a short time. But it's only through testing it in real world conditions for lots of Kms that you can be certain it will work for a long time in the real world...... and even better is having real world users confirming its not manufacturer hype.

my initial assumption was that although the drive was not fully tested, the way it was built (i.e part by part after the previous parts has failed) would may be sufficient that the parts individually were tested rather then the whole.

the customers don't seem to mind to be guinea pigs, they didn't seem to mind to pay for replacement parts even though the initial were ones were broke because of a design flow. to be honest, i didn't mind either. what i DO mind is owner constantly getting worried that my posts would harm his kit, even though i never stated that there was something wrong it with. and i would have done that in the future (post things that may have happened to it, not that it was bad) things happen to me, should i be worried that each post may anger him, that each time he didn't answer his mail i would have to wonder maybe it was due to deciding not to answer me rather then just being overloaded? that's too much for me.
i'm still considering to build a kit around his motor, the problem is this is the only motor i have, and he won't provide a new one if this one fails. (off course,) what's the special about this motor, is that his motor's shaft go through a process where he strips the original belt pulley and install a custom larger pulley that rids the use of a belt tensioner that according to their calculations wastes 100 watts. that also places him as "bottle neck" because he becomes a motor supplier of his own. the only possible failures i see for a motor are magnet braking (hey, it happened to me) and hall sensor failure due to over heating or water taking in the motor (also happened but i was able replacethem myself)

i examined once the aft, my biggest problem with it, and in fact all other mid-drives kits is planetary gears, it's the secret of what makes them small an elegant, but also their main failing point, because it's a custom part, it could wear out very often. so that's a bottle neck as well, L-R's kit maybe big and bulkey but it has less moving parts. i have no idea what i would do if that aft's planetary gears would wear out. additionally their motors has such huge fins,one should question how much heat is getting wasted.

actually cheekybloke is switching to L-R's kit, L-R is building him a special version, where the primary reduction is a D.I.D chain instead of a belt.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=57720&start=2575#p1011806

which is something i wanted for my kit as well, as the belt seemed to be slipping when starting from a high gear, i asked him if he could do that to a small block as well, but again.. was ignored.

right now i'm not exactly sure what to do, i'd like to continue to use L-R's kit, but to invest such a huge sum in custom plates i need to be 100% sure i can replace all the wearable parts. which from what i can see are the D.I.D driver sprocket, driven sprocket. the belt pulley on the motor itself, as well the driven pulley.
i think i'm pretty sure that D.I.D parts are off the shelf, but i'm not sure about the belt pulley, or what specs to look for, as for the driven pulley, that i know is custom made, i even heard that he planned to make a better one, but all my questions about when it's gonna coming out were ignored.
maybe i should just order the 2015 edition gng kit try and run that in 2000 watts for a while and see what brakes.

you may not know my history, but i'm currently using an ecospeed kit, however without the original motor, (with original configuration had me going barely 40 kph), i'm using a bmc motor, that has a much higher rpm, and gives me better acceleration, this was one of the few motors that had its' internal controller disabled and externalized. but the issue with using it, is that wears out the planetery gears in a few months, and those are speciality items (that i can get for 20$ in ebays, but still), infact it's using a original lashout gear box, so i've had to replace the roller clutch sprockets, nylon washers, outer bearings, driven sprocket, and off course the planetary gears. this is what prompted me to go to L-R's kit, hoping he would have better parts, and easier way to replace them.

small update, mike has finally found the time to refund my returned controller. nice to know he had the time to make fun of me as well...

Back