Loud Currie Gear Reduction Motor

DrkAngel said:
Will clean, disassemble and inspect motor today.
Will evaluate and decide on type of bearing.
Since I lubricate gearbox every 1000 miles or so, I might replace with non-sealed bearings, might last longer!

I have a good quality digital caliper so I will try to confirm 12mm x 28mm x 8mm bearing size.

MY1018z 24V 450w notor

Inner bearing (gear) - still good
608z
ID 8mm
OD 22mm
W 7mm

Outer bearing (gear) - bad, drilled and "punched" out to remove
6001zz
ID 12mm
OD 28mm
W 8mm

Brush end motor bearing
608rs
ID 8mm
OD 22mm
W 7mm

Motor shaft bearing (Gear end)
unknown
would not disassemble easily - did not wish to risk damage

Brushes
L = 14.1mm W= 5.8mm H=5.4mm The wire length is 31.5mm (side connect wire )
(< 1/4" left and proper MY1018 brushes are $7 + $20 shipping (from Australia) - so I will retire this motor to parts bin, waiting for a burn up or ... ?)

Used my cordless leaf blower to clean out brush "dust".
Nasty cloud caught me by surprise!

I'll probably try replacing just the outer bearing in the motor I re-lubed with synthetic grease, using a shim (snap ring?) if needed. If I get another 1k out of that motor 'll be happy. The bike it will be in will be my backup bike.

Oh, and thanks for doing the measurements!.

DrkAngel said:
DrkAngel said:
Brushes
(< 1/4" left and proper MY1018 brushes are $7 + $20 shipping (from Australia) - so I will retire this motor to parts bin, waiting for a burn up or ... ?)

have a look at this brushes : http://www.aliexpress.com/item/10pcs-Angle-Grinder-Carbon-Motor-Brushes-14mm-x-6mm-x-5mm/2027077883.html
Might fit the motor, and only 4.5$ shipped for 10 of them.

Dman12 said:
DrkAngel said:
DrkAngel said:
Brushes

have a look at this brushes : http://www.aliexpress.com/item/10pcs-Angle-Grinder-Carbon-Motor-Brushes-14mm-x-6mm-x-5mm/2027077883.html
Might fit the motor, and only 4.5$ shipped for 10 of them.
Shipping additional ... I think?

5mm is too small, must fit snugly.
Wire might be short for optimal connection.
Larger (6mm) will require substantial sanding down to fit!
Belt or disc sander with close set "table" recommended.

Amazon.com - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0094G9GCY...TF8&colid=2B3AYX64VJCAX&coliid=I1YGTU0HSR0F1J - look like will work, after sanding, and less than 35 day delivery estimate

But from Australia , shipping is same for many sets ... for bulk import to USA and resale - reship ?

DrkAngel said:
Brushes

5 sets of 4 brushes, shipped to NY, USA = $49.10 AUD $
$10 + USA reship cost per motor sound reasonable.
I would want 2, possibly 3, sets for myself.

Anyone know of Chinese Unite motor manufacturer - supplier to contact for quantity purchase, of replacement brushes?
Same size for MY1016 motor.

Entire brush assembly?

BrushAssembly.png

So I bought a straight-cut-gear Unite motor from Monster Scooter, and it arrived with the box undamaged, BUT: most of the motor case screws are loose, three appear to be too long for their holes, and one of the flush screws was driven in hard enough to strip it. Is this typical for these motors, or do I send it right back untested? Also, how hard/risky is it to unplug the factory motor's cable from the controller and plug in the new one? Do I have to worry about the controller socket breaking, or being hard to release? I can't cut the cable on the new motor without voiding the warranty.

Looks like some of the screws used to mount the MY1018z onto the Currie plate are different than those supplied with the bare motor?
file.php

eZip12.png

Could be, although the screws in the picture that come with the motor look the same as mine. I have the Currie screws, so that isn't the issue. I'm sending it back because if they stripped at least one screw driving it in, who knows what they messed up inside it? What I really, really want is the NEW OEM motor, but I can't find it. I did pick up a NOS Trailz with one, but I am hoping to have two working bikes, one for warm weather and the current bike for cold. I don't want to have to start cannibalizing the new bike...

Use old screws?

DrkAngel said:
gogo said:
Looks like some of the screws used to mount the MY1018z onto the Currie plate are different than those supplied with the bare motor?
They look identical ...
Rotate motor 90º
They seem to be different lengths and the Currie screws are allen head?

LeftieBiker said:
Could be, although the screws in the picture that come with the motor look the same as mine. I have the Currie screws, so that isn't the issue. I'm sending it back because if they stripped at least one screw driving it in, who knows what they messed up inside it? What I really, really want is the NEW OEM motor, but I can't find it. I did pick up a NOS Trailz with one, but I am hoping to have two working bikes, one for warm weather and the current bike for cold. I don't want to have to start cannibalizing the new bike...
Is the Currie site selling the new motor with the plate?
https://www.curriestore.com/bikes-scooters/MT-24V450W-003A201315214/

That looks like the 'pyramid' logo that the old motor uses. The new motor has a stylized "C" on it. Lots of sites *seem* to be selling the new motor, but the photo always shows the pyramid.

Screw it - I took the motor off the NOS bike last night and will use it on the "Winter" bike, because that is easier than transplanting fenders, tires, etc. If Currie is selling the new motor alone they are using the wrong photo (the new logo looks more like a sunburst design than a "C", really) BTW, if you are tempted to use XT-60 connectors with the Trailz bikes, DON'T. Use the XT-90 instead, because while the stranded motor cable wire will fit the receivers on the XT-60, it's only barely, and any distortion of the wire strands will result in grief. The XT-90 is kind of big, but it's also easier - MUCH easier - to solder onto the wires. Now I have to knock up a XT-60 to XT-90 adapter...

circuit said:
Anyone seen this planetary gear unit in better detail?

http://www.evdeals.com/uspd%20drive%20parts.htm
Is it helical? What is it's outside diameter? Does it contain bearings of any kind?
Not helical.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8379&p=126732

gogo said:
circuit said:
Anyone seen this planetary gear unit in better detail?

http://www.evdeals.com/uspd%20drive%20parts.htm
Is it helical? What is it's outside diameter? Does it contain bearings of any kind?
Not helical.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8379&p=126732
Thanks. That's unfortunate...

DrkAngel said:
DrkAngel said:
Will clean, disassemble and inspect motor today.
Will evaluate and decide on type of bearing.
Since I lubricate gearbox every 1000 miles or so, I might replace with non-sealed bearings, might last longer!

I have a good quality digital caliper so I will try to confirm 12mm x 28mm x 8mm bearing size.

Inner bearing (gear) - still good
608z
ID 8mm
OD 22mm
W 7mm

Outer bearing (gear) - bad, drilled and "punched" out to remove
6001zz
ID 12mm
OD 28mm
W 8mm

Brush end motor bearing
608rs
ID 8mm
OD 22mm
W 7mm

Motor shaft bearing (Gear end)
unknown
would not disassemble easily - did not wish to risk damage

Brushes

I found this thread about bearings but still unsure if the xyd16 is the same or not. Please confirm

The currietech site, which claims to have the XYD-16 motor but shows a photo of the 18, hasn't responded to my inquiry about which motor it is. The site seems unchanged from last year. Does anyone know if it's even active - i.e. updated regularly? I've found a somewhat scruffy 2011 Trailz low-step for sale that I may buy this evening for parts (mainly the motor) but I'd buy a new motor if I thought I'd actually get what I ordered...

I took the old (my first and nicest) Trailz out for a (cold!) 8 mile test ride yesterday, with the donated NOS XYD-16 motor. It's very quiet, and no more clacking. There is a bit more of a hum/whine than I'm used to, but that could just be because it's a brand new motor. I'm going to baby this one and try to get 2K miles out of it before the bearings go. The two other motors started to clack at about 1200 miles. I think the single biggest way to avoid stress on those bearings is to use the throttle to get to the speed the bike runs at in pedal-assist mode, then just flip the switch or push the button to engage the PAS. The worst thing to do is engage PAS at very low speeds or when starting from a stop.

I'm really, really unhappy. The NOS motor I installed went about 25 miles with no issues, but is now making the same bearing noises I first encountered at about 1000 miles on my first Trailz. We need a bearing solution here or I'm going to either a hubmotor (yuck) or a brushless motor. How very disappointing.

Back