Luna in Canada build

Marin

1 kW
I've been gathering parts and ideas for quite a while now and it's time to start a thread for the build, even though it will take all winter to build and test.

Now that I have this bike running well and off the bike stand I can start the Luna.

View attachment 3

I'll put a link to this bike when I figure it out. And update specs in my sig.

Lunacycle frame,

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451187764.682562.jpg

Arrived a few days ago and looks like it took a few kicks along the way, a few scratches not so bad but they must have dropped it right on the rear dropouts.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451187575.787648.jpg

Bent one side in quite a bit but I was able to coax it back into place with a piece of flat bar.

Trying out the fit for the n171 hub and setup some old forks with the front ezee kicker motor.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451187259.664272.jpg

Lots more details to come and this is mostly new to me, I'm learning bike repair and installing along with ebike stuff too. I cruise this forum constantly and have learned so much from a lot of people here, now I'm putting this knowledge to work. This will be my 3rd ebike and definitely the coolest yet. A lot of the pieces of this build have come from vendors and people associated with the site.

For various parts and spares I'm looking for a used downhill mountain bike to scavenge from.

Frame - of course the incomparable Luna from Eric and co. at Lunacycle

Forks - to be confirmed, some nice triple crown I hope

Motor 1 - big block Luna special from Lightning Rods, waiting patiently as Mike meticulously crafts it, 40 amp Grin controller with Cycle analyst V3, Battery TBD

Motor 2 - Ezee V2 in 26" front wheel, 25 amp Grin controller, ( from garage sale) and CA V3 ( or maybe V2 ), 11 AH shark Battery from Luna,

Ok so I'll probably get lots of flak about this but since I'll wait a bit for the L/R motor I want to play around with getting the bike pedaling and the front motor going so I learn about all this stuff. I'm hoping this will work out to be my kicker motor if something goes wrong and I'm far away this separate motor system will get me home. I play around on boats a lot and have come home on the kicker twice in 10 years, it was worth every penny spent on having a redundant backup system.

Rear wheel so far, I have a nuvinci 171b in a nice 26" rim with maxxis 2.4" tire for the rear, I'll test it first with pedal power and front motor before I put the big block too it and just see

If I'm to nervous to ruin the nuvinci I'll save it for another build and go to plan B, ( rolhoff ?)

BC Guy watching you from Toronto, Ontario. :)

LockH said:
BC Guy watching you from Toronto, Ontario. :)

Watch away dude, I hope you find something useful here.

Got the frame moved into its new home for a while, gonna start with the bottom bracket and try to get this pedaling and stopping first.

My xmas holidays are over back to work tomorrow so this will be an evening and weekend project.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451271240.232815.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451271240.232815.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 5,104
Awesome frame :D .. frames are a bugger to ship, its good you were able to fix it. were doing a saltspring run in may hope to see it then.

Excellent. Your build and mine will be very similar (N171 and LR Big Block). I am hoping that the Grin FOC will be enough power for this guy.

Mammalian04 said:
Excellent. Your build and mine will be very similar (N171 and LR Big Block). I am hoping that the Grin FOC will be enough power for this guy.

It will be interesting to see your build progress, we probably have similar kinks to iron out.

fullonoob said:
what kind of saddle is that? do you have any close up

I assume you mean in the first photo, it's a regal saddle from Lunacycle.com on a thudbuster seat post,

Well I had some time over the holidays to play around with the Luna build. I'm trying to test fit as many parts as I can to see how it will all work together while I wait on other parts to come. I also need to learn the cycle analyst so I've rigged up a controller and front motor to practice with. I've installed a suspension fork so that I could mount the front motor. Brakes are hooked up, front disc and rear roller and I used all my cable sheath so need more for shifter cables. Cranks came in the mail today but I need to get 12mm bolts. Once the cranks and shifter cables are set up I can do the chain and get the nuvinci set up.

Here she sits

3c7ebec1c1d5d90e88afef42fe0aeb46.jpg

Maybe I should get a green screen to take out the background clutter, lol

I'm looking at a similar build with the LUNA and Lightning Rods mid drive----

I hope to utilize a Rohloff--- but, will this frame accept the new fatbike Rohloff at 170mm? -- or do i need to stick with the 135mm version----

and i guess i should ask is the rolly necessary--will the NuVinci work just as well for this tractor? I'm not going to be racing---and i will have no throttle---torque sensed only... (so far)

I prospect in the high desert / NorCal mountains and this is going to be my Luna Big Block Mule--

The one thing i really like about your build is redundancy with the front hub motor.... i may have to find a little 250 watt kicker to help get me back to camp if something happens...

So i am waiting on LR's decision on the build-------if i haven't driven him crazy already with all my questions, we will start soon!!!!!

pkirkll said:

I hope to utilize a Rohloff--- but, will this frame accept the new fatbike Rohloff at 170mm? -- or do i need to stick with the 135mm version----

and i guess i should ask is the rolly necessary--will the NuVinci work just as well for this tractor? I'm not going to be racing---and i will have no throttle---torque sensed only... (so far)

I prospect in the high desert / NorCal mountains and this is going to be my Luna Big Block Mule--

The one thing i really like about your build is redundancy with the front hub motor.... i may have to find a little 250 watt kicker to help get me back to camp if something happens...

So i am waiting on LR's decision on the build-------if i haven't driven him crazy already with all my questions, we will start soon!!!!!

I have the NV360 already laced and ready to go. All I'm waiting for is my Luna big block to arrive. I'll be reporting on my build thread on how the 360 holds up.

Jeremy

Subbed, Saskatoon builder here also eager to work with the Luna frame! I was due to start mine this month but a wackload of cool parts came my way so I'll be posting about it soon enough (once the fork gets here and I decide on front wheel config).

what size wheel you got in the front there? looks good. redundant electric drive is a great direction and I will probably go the same route with the Luna when I get to it. the current ride I'm working on is a compact commute and park/snow/trail config... a "Meewasin cruiser" of sorts, definitely won't be packing cargo or a passenger (which is what the Luna is going to ultimately fulfill).

pkirkll said:

The Luna has a 135mm rear dropout( although mine is 140mm due to shipping), and I got a good deal on the nuvinci laced in a wheel from a forum member so I'll try that first.

The front motor is a ezee v2 from the grin garage sale also a 25 amp controller. I went with that partly so I can learn how to set it all up along with a cycle analyst. I've got plenty of time over the winter to figure it out.

Really good to see some Luna's coming up it will be fun to see some different setup possibilities. We might need a Luna build section soon.

A big shout out to Eric and Mike for making this happen. And if Mike along with Justin/Grin can figure out the torque sensing and maybe the phase runner for us that would be amazing.

I had to go to the dentist today and managed to sneak over to the bike store for a stash of parts, there are a lot of pieces in a build like this.

bowhunter29 said:
[

I have the NV360 already laced and ready to go. All I'm waiting for is my Luna big block to arrive. I'll be reporting on my build thread on how the 360 holds up.

Jeremy

Really interested in your build reports

beast775 said:
Awesome frame :D .. frames are a bugger to ship, its good you were able to fix it. were doing a saltspring run in may hope to see it then.

I'll be around, shot me a pm closer to the time.

I agree that a Luna build thread may be needed soon....

I love this stuff--i havent been here for awhile--- Now I'm back---- sold my trike and my E Novara----

All i have now is an 8 speed Nexus Novara Fusion----

I need to learn all i can about flat proof tires/wheels as i will be all over goatheads!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone for your help...

paul
Luna Big Block Mule

I knew this would take a while but I've got a fair bit of work into this project so far, a few test rides have gone well with just the front motor setup and pedaling with the nuvinci. I'm pretty happy with how it rides and shifts we'll see when the mid motor is installed how it changes, the front motor will be plenty as a back up too.

Right now it's back on the stand cause I've received my mid drive motor and it's a thing of beauty, it came fully assembled and I'm just in the process of mounting it, all I needed to do to make it run was change the molex connector to a jst like my controller. Tested it an it spun up first try, thanks Mike this motor is really special. Now I need to get it off again to drill the motor mount holes.

View attachment 3

Theres a lot of work to do still, like a proper mounting bracket for the drum brake, so far it's a torque arm part and hose clamps for testing.

IMG_2961.jpg

I'm waiting for a new bottom bracket cause the one that came with my frame is too short for the cranks to clear the motor, also coming is a front wheel to fit the Rockshox Totem fork I'm going to try for a bit. There are some spacers coming too see if the chainline can be adjusted a bit too.

IMG_2965.jpg

This is the front fork, I think it will be awesome for dirt roads but it doesn't work with the front motor, so need a new plan for that.

Hopefully next time some test ride comments with the Luna drive fired up,

Also hats off to bike mechanics everywhere for the job they do in such an ass backwards, non standard, nothing swaps out industry. I've done a lot of work and this bike stuff has got to be the worst for nothing being interchangeable, I guess it opens your mind to new things and really tests your patience. Add ebike stuff to the bikes and oh man.

some parts arrived this weekend to help carry on with this project, this being the critical one,

IMG_2973.jpg

now the cranks will clear the motor, it came with one spacer and I'll need a couple more to dial in the chainline to the motor freewheel and or clearance for the motor guards.

also my front wheel with 20mm axle, 203mm rotor along with tire and tube arrived, thudbuster seatpost and best of all satiator charger.

I can't say enough that everything I have ever bought from Grin is the best quality I have found and we all should support this pioneering company as best we can.

IMG_3004.jpg

more parts came in, another 52v 25r 10ah battery to match one I have and fit in the box,

a package from Mike is on the way too, spacers and chain guards, coming along,

Another package with critical parts. The bottom bracket spacers will tune up the pedal chain line. And a surprise inside the package a chain tensioner for the pedal chain I will need. I had been sourcing one but Mike threw it in thanks Mike.
d47a3ed950afa06eeef222d6003bdcac.jpg

Also in the package is the chain and belt guards,

ad8898ea3e620c014b041b94d8b08761.jpg

Things are shaping up,

Finally the bike came off the stand to do some test riding, a few things to fix already, lol, this is going to be some ride,

IMG_3017.jpg

IMG_3018.jpg

Back