Mongoose dolomite fatbike? 7spd, disk brakes, INEXPENSIVE

danjpendleton said:

some promising news ^^^

Im thinking ill probably end up going with the hs3540 from grin. Its cheap enough but u can run 3kw reliably. These wheels are big though....hope i dont end up snapping the motor axle

[youtube]szkgylvDYA4[/youtube]

I am very interested in high air volume tires. I plan to fabricate some bicycles around the idea of wide tires, but I have next to no real world experience riding on them. I started looking for frames (for testing) that can hold wide tires and I found a mongoose dolomite, did a search and found this thread. Pretty decent looking bicycle. Having never seen this bike, I am wondering, is it possible to mount a rack and fenders on this frame?

^^^i believe there is. ill take some more pics of the frame when i can.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409588095.494883.jpg

Heres a pic of the 101mm weinmann rims next to some 3" wide choppersus rims w a 2.5" maxxiss hookworm

I just hit the order button. Will ride as pedal only for a while.

grin cyclery finally got some hs3540rs back in stock. i just hit the order button last night for one of those. already have my front hub and rims, so as soon as the motor comes in ill have them laced up and bolt them on the bike :mrgreen:

lol @ turning the maxxis hookworm into an eraser-head shaped tire

i wanted a slightly rounded/"stretched" tire which is why i went with a 2.5" hookworm and a 3" wide rim. goes along with the motorcycle-looking theme of my last bike. Im not the first person to do so, so I cant take credit for that.

So I have had it for about a week now. As per everyone else, there was no grease in the axles and were way over-tightened. Brakes though adjusted kinda suck, but overall for $250 hard to beat it. Took it to work, and everyone was jumping on it for a test ride, and loving it. I think I have at least 2 people buying them now, Walmart should give me a commision.

I have the tires pretty low on pressure and just love going over anything in my way.

The steering is kinda funny, if you bank into a curve the wheel turns harder into the curve. Anybody else notice this? Is it due to the low tire pressure, or it looks like not enough rake in the fork?

I am thinking I want to do a mid drive, I really only need maybe 500 watts if I can get the low gearing. Thinking of the GNG kit.

Drewjet, will the 100mm bottom bracket be a consideration for your mid drive?

drewjet said:
The steering is kinda funny, if you bank into a curve the wheel turns harder into the curve. Anybody else notice this? Is it due to the low tire pressure, or it looks like not enough rake in the fork?

That's a known characteristic of fatbike tires. Some tires are more susceptible than others, and raising tire pressure cures the problem-- while sometimes eradicating the benefits of XXXL tires.

Switching to better tires without changing anything else may or may not alleviate the handling problem you describe, but it will trim pounds off your ride and give you more performance for your muscle (or electric) power.

I've had pretty benign handling from my Origin8 Captiv-8er 26x3.5" tires mounted on 45mm Snow Cat rims.

Just finished my build. Started with the Mongoose Dolomite and turned it into more of a cruiser. 500W electric on the front wheel with 48V 12AH Lithium NCM Battery on the rear rack...

IMAG0379sm.jpg

IMAG0386sm.jpg

IMAG0385sm.jpg

100_0847sm.jpg

IMAG0383sm.jpg

John C.
Charleston, SC

HankCPA.

That looks awesome. Especially the seat and cup holder. I want one of those cup holders. :)

Is that red 8 ball a faux gear shift knob? :shock: :lol:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411220975.659177.jpg

my hs3540 came in. picked up a freewheel spacer to push the cassette out 12 more mm. also picked up some disk brake spacers to get everything lined up. having the weinmann wheels laced up to the motor and a new 135mm single speed mountain bike rear disk hub :)

Don't mind at all...the shifter came from the Huntington Beach Bicycle Company but it has to be modified to work well. I ended up threading the interior of the mounting tube and using a bolt with loctite and a thrust bearing washer to keep the shift lever arm securely attached

danjpendleton said:
If u dont mind me asking...where did u get that shifter?

2old said:
Drewjet, will the 100mm bottom bracket be a consideration for your mid drive?

If anything I think it will make it easier. I have not used the GNG before.

Chalo said:
drewjet said:

That's a known characteristic of fatbike tires. Some tires are more susceptible than others, and raising tire pressure cures the problem-- while sometimes eradicating the benefits of XXXL tires.

Switching to better tires without changing anything else may or may not alleviate the handling problem you describe, but it will trim pounds off your ride and give you more performance for your muscle (or electric) power.

I've had pretty benign handling from my Origin8 Captiv-8er 26x3.5" tires mounted on 45mm Snow Cat rims.

Thanks for your input Chalo. Any other tires would you recommend?

Hello Danjpendleton, any news on your bluid ?

danjpendleton said:
my hs3540 came in. picked up a freewheel spacer to push the cassette out 12 more mm. also picked up some disk brake spacers to get everything lined up. having the weinmann wheels laced up to the motor and a new 135mm single speed mountain bike rear disk hub :)

I have a factory supplied bafang here that is for 170mm drop outs. It's a 250w motor, and they have put a freewheel side housing on both sides of the motor. You could in fact use the 250w motor, and with a second chain on the other side add mid drive power to.

It seems fat bikes are popular, so perhaps somebody should get a few to share around.

I think I would use a motor to replace each axle. 2wd seems in line with it's off road abilities.

It came in a bike I intended to add a larger motor to, but I didn't think any motor offering was suitable for the 170mm gap. Just the original bafang.

very cool..its funny I was in wally world tonight..looking at bikes for my first build and did't see that bike in the normal bike selection...saw the other mongooses...I was walking around Walmart looking for a drum for my bike winch I am going to build too. and thought lawn and garden would be a good place..maybe some wheelbarrow type thing over there...and low and behild the two versions of your dolomite fatbike...I just stared at them like clark griswald did when he finally got the lights to work in Christmas vacation...and the cool thing it was around 8 or so no one was working that outside area....so I gave both a drive and (shocking the tires were actually pumped it, most of the bikes there look like they all have flats....) man I felt like a heman riding that thing around their different flowers... but it was kinda of a workout but I am not in shape and the tires were probably a little low but this would be awesome in the snow or looses gravel mud or even going to the dollar store in. and hell you will get pulled over because the cops will think your driving a motorcycle...that machine is bad ass...I want those tires but on a mongoose 2.5 or something...what number of rolling resistance do you use to type in on the bike simulator....and couldn't tell do these tires really act like shocks...are you going to put slime in the tires?how much slime would you use? good luck on this build, very very cool concept.

friendly1uk said:
I have a factory supplied bafang here that is for 170mm drop outs. It's a 250w motor, and they have put a freewheel side housing on both sides of the motor. You could in fact use the 250w motor, and with a second chain on the other side add mid drive power to.

It seems fat bikes are popular, so perhaps somebody should get a few to share around.

I think I would use a motor to replace each axle. 2wd seems in line with it's off road abilities.

It came in a bike I intended to add a larger motor to, but I didn't think any motor offering was suitable for the 170mm gap. Just the original bafang.
:p Can you make a link where you got this Bafang hub?

Back