New GoldenMotor Regen controller....

The Stig said:
48V50A I believe. I'm thinking of getting one for my puma. I'll have to give the puma a metal gear though, is knuckles the best source of those?
50A max phase (motor) current I bet, since we can see three seperate shunts along the bottom of the PCB to measure the output current (but also one for battery current). I'm curious as to hear how it compares in take-off power to an infinion or similar with a 30 or 40 limit battery current.

The FETs aren't too bad either, 120A/75V parts with 6.5 milli-ohms resistance.

Let us know how it performs!

I cant quite see the voltage on the capacitors.
Are they 60V?

I want to try to run my 44.4V lipo packs on one of those lil 36V controllers
The packs charge up to 50.4V max

Currently I am trying to work out a deal for 3 or 4 units shipped.
I want to evaluate these things.

My wife keeps poo-pooing the bikes I try to build for her since they look like Docs bike from back to the future.
A great start would be a tiny controller that is easy to hide.
I have been told "NO WIRES" !!!

Dont know why she would say that given the kind of quality work I do
Here is an example:

I think thats a classy ride.
What woman wouldn't want to be seen on that?

-methods

methods said:
My wife keeps poo-pooing the bikes I try to build for her since they look like Docs bike from back to the future.
A great start would be a tiny controller that is easy to hide.
I have been told "NO WIRES" !!!

-methods

GADZOOKS! But I can relate... It had to be pretty easy to handle (and stealth) before my GF would touch one of these things. Here's her bike. The bag on the back isn't anywhere near as big as it looks in the picture - that's just the wide angle lens talking...

Alison's%20bike.jpg

That picture was taken when I first put the GM kit on it - that rear wheel has since been replaced with a much nicer double-walled affair. I've also gone for a twist throttle (her preference) that integrates the battery condition LEDs into it, for even LESS wiring).

The caps in the GM controller (that I posted pictures of earlier), and the 36V e-crazyman whose case I show for comparison, are all 63V...

[Edit: - Add the anti-stealth]

Just can't help but throw in this picture for comparison. That's me with my principle ride (kind of a bigger version of my GF's bike, with a few more toys onboard) standing next to Justin L-E when was here last summer. I think his cross-Country bike still stands as the most "anti-stealth" bike I've ever seen :)

phil%20justin.jpg

Knuckles said:
I have metal gears for PUMA ...

PUMA_Metal_Gears.JPG

Hey Knuckles! The size of those gears suggests to me that the Puma either has a much greater ratio (numerically lower)than the Bafang or a much greater diameter! Which is correct, if any. My next motor probably will be a Puma or 600 Watt Thundersomething!
otherDoc

Hey Methods! That's my kind of work! Wires all over the place. I had to actually do a good job on my wife's Bike-e and can do neat, but for my own stuff, who cares as long as it runs good!
otherDoc

Man, you guys have been holding out on me.
I just got done reading every single cross referenced thread on these types of controllers.
The regen, the transistor mod, the TTL converter for software updates, the variable LVC, the new small packaging. . .
I watched you guys stumble onto new feature after new feature.
Nice!

I have got to say that I quit fooling with the crystalyte boxes because they were so frustratingly hacked before I even got them.
The last one I modded out to the max ended up looking like this:

100V 100A Crystalyte

BlowedUp.jpg

These controllers look like more my speed.
I have been looking for something to work an MSP430 into.
Maybe this is the project.

Thanks for doing all the research for me :wink:

Man. . . Back in the day I used to spend 6 months or a year just to hack something simple.
Now all I have to do is power-read this forum with like 6 tabs open in Mozilla.
Threading in and out until all the information just falls into my lap.

-methods

Just had to look back at the history (PayPal transactions, e-mails, etc.).

I placed my last order to Golden Motor on Thursday, January 28th (in the evening). I got a shipping acknowledgement and some documentation e-mailed to me by Philip Yao late Friday/early Saturday morning. The controller (and some other goodies) were delivered (regular mail) on Wednesday Feb 4th (to Canada). I posted some pictures the day after.

Not bad. It hadn't registered on me how quickly I got this.

In comparison, I had Keywin send me a couple of items via UPS... This one was mind bogglingly quick! The final line in this is missing, but it was delivered before 2:00PM on the day it landed in Hamilton (Mount Hope). As always, the dates are in Day/Month/Year format... :)

ups.jpg

So let us know if there is anyway of making it work at 66 Volt (dewalt 20S setup)

I love the fact that it will run with or without Hall sensor ....is there any 72 V controller(35 AMP or more) that works without hall sensor?

Robin

Almasi said:
So let us know if there is anyway of making it work at 66 Volt (dewalt 20S setup)

I love the fact that it will run with or without Hall sensor ....is there any 72 V controller(35 AMP or more) that works without hall sensor?

Robin

It will work without the hall sensors working but at default controller, you'll only go half speed without the hall wires.

Does anyone know how to hook up the Alarm on the New "magic" controller?

I followed the diagram on the website, but it didn't work for me.

If anyone has gotten it to work, could you please tell me how YOU got it to work.

Pictures/Diagram would be helpful.

(Yes EVERY other function works... Cruise Control, Throttle, Brake, etc. - Except, I don't see the regen part of it working at any point).

Thank you in advance.

I even got the phase angle calibration to work :D but it took a little fiddling. Now my puma runs quite well in sensorless mode but I burnt one of the hall sensors before I could find the right hall/phase wire combo :( :x

I'm very curious as to how regen works. Anyone know? Philf?
I've sent emails to GM but I feel like I'm better off trying to get my dog to answer questions about the controller than Philip Yao at goldenmotors.com.

The Stig said:
I'm very curious as to how regen works. Anyone know? Philf?

I have yet to do any extensive testing of this controller, even though I've had it a few weeks now (I went crazy and ordered in several different units from both Keywin and GM). My understanding, even before I bought the thing, was that it doesn't do regen - it does "regen" braking. Big difference. The same technique that they use to electrically "lock" the wheel in the powered security mode - practically "shorting" phases together. None of the energy is recaptured. I haven't tried the thing on a bike with the Cycle Analyst on it yet (to confirm), but that's my understanding.

Cheers!

philf said:
My understanding, even before I bought the thing, was that it doesn't do regen - it does "regen" braking. Big difference. The same technique that they use to electrically "lock" the wheel in the powered security mode - practically "shorting" phases together. None of the energy is recaptured.
Shorting phases together has nothing to do with "regen"! "Regen" is short for regenerative braking, and "regenerative" means that it produces energy while braking. I would call the shorting type of braking that this golden motors unit has "resistive braking" or something similar, but never "regen"!

There is already enough confusion about "regen" without adding more definitions to it.

Too bad though, I thought that wee little unit did real regenerative braking, specially after seeing that it has phase current sensing shunts as well as the battery shunt.

ZapPat said:
Shorting phases together has nothing to do with "regen"! "Regen" is short for regenerative braking, and "regenerative" means that it produces energy while braking. I would call the shorting type of braking that this golden motors unit has "resistive braking" or something similar, but never "regen"!

There is already enough confusion about "regen" without adding more definitions to it.

I absolutely agree, and I think that there are a lot of people over on the GM Forum who feel ill-used because of the misunderstanding that's created by the use of the word "regen" in this context. But you have to remember that the people making this stuff available to us in the first place are often not the greatest at "getting" what is implied by the use of certain terms in English. When misunderstandings come up, and a chasm opens up between what is written and what is truly meant, I don't automatically assume I'm being deliberately hoodwinked. On one particular occasion (over an unrelated purchase through eBay), I did have a bit of an offputting experience with a Chinese seller over some (easily perceived) "misinformation" on his listing. When I took the time to (politely) point out the problem and the source of confusion (took a couple of goes), they were profusely apologetic - fixed their future listings - and immediately gave me my money back through PayPal. (The best Chinese sellers really CARE about their feedback rating).

Anyways, I guess the thing is this... I personally haven't PROVEN that the thing doesn't do proper regen. I've assumed from the beginning that it doesn't, and have accepted this to be true based on what I've seen in others' posts (usually angrily). If, after testing it out properly, I prove that it really is just a power-soak (any other guitar gearheads out there will think "Tom Scholz" when I say that, but I like the term :)) in braking mode, I still don't feel qualified to cast aspersions at GM unless I've actually tried to communicate the issue to them. Will I bother? Prolly not.

Boy, I sound like I'm being particularly conciliatory today. It may be time to give myself that afternoon jab in the eye with a sharp pencil (I only use Black Warriors, BTW) to get my level of piss-off back up :twisted:

We should be very very pissed off if it doesn't do Regenerative braking.

We should be pissed off anyway because he has a complete lie on his website!(I was wrong about this...)
On the website it says its a 48v 50AMP controller:
Buy Sample (wholesale prices negotiable)
BAC-0281
36V/50A
$65/set

BAC-0282
48V/50A
$74/set

BAC-0283
24V/50A
$58/set
...Credit cards via PayPal...

WHEREAS IN THE USER MANUAL it says its a 48V 30AMP controller!!!! I now realize how unlikely such a small controller is to be 50A capable but I don't know for sure! Haven't asked him. But if it is a 30Amp controller, we've been inexcusably deceived and ripped off!

I have a sample of this controller that I am testing. Nowhere in the documentation does it say it supports regen, but I suspect that it does. Closing the break switch definitely puts a load on the motor. So far I have only spun the motor by hand (due to bad weather) but I did see a slight reverse current. In the next few days, weather permitting, I will have a complete report. If it does in fact support true regen, it will not be adjustable and you can not disable it. My understanding now is that it is a 30 amp controller. If this guy checks out, I will be offering them for sale.

I recently performed a test on this controller. The results indicate it does do regen. The test platform was our foldup bike with 16" wheels and a 24V tongxin rear motor over-volted to 36V (I wanted to test this at the same time). The battery pack was SLA. The current monitor was a volt/current meter in series with the battery supply. The regen is activated by closing a switch. I wired this input to a toggle sw mounted on the handle bar. After getting up to speed, around 18-20mph, I let off the throttle and flipped the switch. The current went from +15 to -4 to -5A. I repeated several times with the same results. The regen takes about 1-2 sec to kick in and ramps to full on in about 2 sec, so it's quick. This was on level ground, not sure what it would do on the hill with a heavy bike, slow you down or stop? This is only one data point but does seem to confirm the regen function. I did not measure the voltage this time. I will be doing some more tests as time permits.

Back