New GoldenMotor Regen controller....

Hi Guys, this is my first post on any forum ever :D
I am considering buying two of these magic controllers for one bike. I live in the mountains in France (Chamonix Mont Blanc). This is one of the reasons i am interested in regenerative systems.
My first e-bike is going to be an off road on road prototype, in fact it will be two bikes eventually.
I live 300M above town so cruising down the valley has tones of potential to charge batteries.
I plan to install 2x 1000W hub motors with mechanical disc brakes. The front hub can be removed along with one of the controllers, this way the front wheel is simply replaced with a standard wheel and i have two 1000W bikes so a friend can ride too! I will use both hubs on one bike for steeper off road climbing and to get me home quick when those tough uphill sections kick in. The advantage of two controllers is that i can have independent front and rear regenerative breaking. I'm sure this may cause problems if one wheel momentarily locks up and starts to draw more current from the non locked motor. I am hoping that this will be easy to control. When riding technical single track it is important to have a smooth control over both brakes. And the brakes are constantly on so i am expecting to generate quite a bit of energy. :idea:
I have no idea how high i will be able to climb on very steep off road terrain but i am hoping that with 2000W and 30Ah of LiFePO4 + continious pedal assist i may be able to make it from 1300M to 2000M then the fun begins as i drop into any single track of my choice :twisted:
By the time i arrive home at 1300M i hope the battery to have enough charge to make it 100M downhill to the bar and then back again :mrgreen:
Anyone find out if these were 50A or 30A at 48V ? they look a bit small to handle 50A constant.
Soon to purchase components, have a 30Ah batt on it's way but keen to start building Prismatic packs. Have been discussing cell & BMS prices with Yesa and YGS Power. Gonna check out what is available with EV and then see what i can find in Switzerland. Postage is high so gonna ship by surface once all is decided. Should be rollin by end of July. :?:

lifeonourplanet said:
Hi Guys, this is my first post on any forum ever :D
I am considering buying two of these magic controllers for one bike. I live in the mountains in France (Chamonix Mont Blanc). This is one of the reasons i am interested in regenerative systems.
My first e-bike is going to be an off road on road prototype, in fact it will be two bikes eventually.
I live 300M above town so cruising down the valley has tones of potential to charge batteries.
I plan to install 2x 1000W hub motors with mechanical disc brakes. The front hub can be removed along with one of the controllers, this way the front wheel is simply replaced with a standard wheel and i have two 1000W bikes so a friend can ride too! I will use both hubs on one bike for steeper off road climbing and to get me home quick when those tough uphill sections kick in. The advantage of two controllers is that i can have independent front and rear regenerative breaking. I'm sure this may cause problems if one wheel momentarily locks up and starts to draw more current from the non locked motor. I am hoping that this will be easy to control. When riding technical single track it is important to have a smooth control over both brakes. And the brakes are constantly on so i am expecting to generate quite a bit of energy. :idea:
I have no idea how high i will be able to climb on very steep off road terrain but i am hoping that with 2000W and 30Ah of LiFePO4 + continious pedal assist i may be able to make it from 1300M to 2000M then the fun begins as i drop into any single track of my choice :twisted:
By the time i arrive home at 1300M i hope the battery to have enough charge to make it 100M downhill to the bar and then back again :mrgreen:
Anyone find out if these were 50A or 30A at 48V ? they look a bit small to handle 50A constant.
Soon to purchase components, have a 30Ah batt on it's way but keen to start building Prismatic packs. Have been discussing cell & BMS prices with Yesa and YGS Power. Gonna check out what is available with EV and then see what i can find in Switzerland. Postage is high so gonna ship by surface once all is decided. Should be rollin by end of July. :?:

Welcome to the world of forums, and to this forum in particular :)

A 2x2 ebike sounds like a good idea in chamonix! But regen isn't all it cracks up to be with bicycles, there just isn't that much kinetic energy stored when you have a light bicycle going only bicycle speeds. It is just enough energy to make one regen motor worth it. Definitely not two. Regen is quite inefficient. Plus I wouldn't put hub motor in the front unless it had freewheel like all geared hub motors, If it doesn't have freewheel (like all direct drive hub motors), the motor would lock up and you will go over the handlebars if the controller were to fail. I would put a geared hub in the front, and a direct drive hub in the back.

Anyway you should start your very own topic about this!

It seems to me this controller only goes to 30A.

What kind of battery are you getting? I have a Ping batt myself.

The confusion over the current is because there are two versions. Up until recently they were 30 amps. The new version which is available now is 50 amps. You have to be careful using regen on a front hub due to the back-and-forth stresses. The axle can work loose. You would definitely need torque arms and a strong fork.

Thanks for the insight guys, yea the regen braking will deffo take some more thinking perhaps i'll keep it to one wheel only, two wheels takes some thinking too as they need to spin at the same speed.
Thats good to know about the 30A and 50A versions though, i have been chatting with Ann from goldenmotor almost everynight now on skype. She even asked me to call her when she was at home :mrgreen: She is giving me some good quotes i just hope the shipping works out ok. I will try to make sure she gets onto finding the cheapest way of shipping me the parts i'm ordering and make sure i get the 50A version of the controllers.
Jimbo

With my limited experience with a non re-gen hub relying on brake pads, I want re-gen for braking, and I live in flatland.

Does someone have already connect a cycle analyst on this "magic" GM controller ? Specially the current shunt value and the speed probe (normally on the hall sensor).

I have hooked up the WattsUp so I cannot tell you about the shunt but I can tell you that you do not need to be hooked up to the hall effects in the hub for cruise control. Now that I have started - I would like to say that I am extremely pleased with this controller (hopefully this will not make the price go up before I order my next one)! Just before I went on vacation I ordered one from Golden Motors because I was not going to take my hub apart and replace the same hall effect sensor that I so carefully replaced the last time following the set instructions on the forum - waterproofing included. The controller arrived in three days = I was impressed! I could not believe the size and the additional connectors that came with the controller. It was so small that I put it just under the handle bars where the main frame joins. My unit was set for 48v and my hub was a nine continent type from Rayben. The cruise works GREAT even on fairly steep hills it keeps the speed constant. Of course I built the bike for the trails around the precambrien sheild in eastern Manitoba - Extreme shock is the brand of bike. Anyway the controller really did measure up - one group wondered how I went up the hill faster then he could go down, so I guess the stealth look still was there, even with the controller up front. The controller at worst got warm - the hub was definately the hot element. I did not realize that it had regen on it and thought that the brake had gotten stuck. Once I got used to it it really helped on the brake pad wear on the hills. The only concern about regen on the front wheel is when applying rear wheel braking on the downhill allows the front hub to brake = I am putting a switch between rear wheel brake to optionally turn it off or on. After a 100 km trail ride I can really get to like this unit.

Hi, Maybe a stupid question but for those that have bought this regen controler, does it come with the "Cruise Control" buttons?
thanks.

I just bought 2 Golden Motor kits that have this magic controler.

I went for a ride with my 750w front hub with a 36v 12 amp SLA batteries. During most of the ride I had the system under cruise control at about 80% trotle + pedaling. Bike + Rider + Triler were about 250lbs. I rode 15 miles in an hour before the bateries were drained. Most of the terrain is flat (with ocassional hills I live in Tucson, AZ).

Now, one thing I noticed is:
1. While on cruise control.. The motor actually gives resistance If you try to pedal faster.
2. While using the motor w/o cruise control you don't fell resistance to pedaling.
3. But, if you dont use the motor while pedaling there some resistance.
3. Tapping the brakes results in the motor providing extra resistance ( is this regen braking it don't know).

Back