Quadcopter Build

that is looking good..
I think lowering the POSR to slightly lower values will smooth out that wobble...
I think I dropped my to 1.5 or 1.4 when i was using it.

there is no real documentation out there on this.. sucks..
But play with it and you will kinda get an idea how it works.. I got it to hover in like a 2 meter box with out twitching and that's where i stopping tuning, worked well in heavy wind.
I found once i got it going rtl would come to the home position pretty damm well..
Just remember sometimes it takes ahwile to fly home if the RTL altitude is much higher than where the craft is currently @, It will need to climb to that altitude and then fly home. So you have all those speed settings as well to tune it further.

POS = position hold = this works out how fast the copter will go to the "hold" position once it starts wandering off.

P= speed it needs to go depending on how far away it is , range is 0-2.5 , 0.1 = slow 0.5 = fast

I= how much to compensate for wind and "circling" the hold position , increase to reduce circling but not too much or copter will oscillate . range = 0-2.5 typically set to 1.0-2.0

POSR = position hold rate = this takes the information from the POS and translates it into pitch and roll of the copter.

P= how much the copter reacts to the figures worked out in POS, increase until you start overshooting the "hold" position . Range = 0-25 typical value =2.0-6.0
I= how much it angles the multicopter to reach the speed worked out in POS , range = 0-2.5 typically 0.01-0.1 , keep it low
d= dampens the reactions with 0=no damping, increase till oscillations disappear , range 0.0-0.25 typically 0.045- 0.1

NAVR = the same as POSR but values for faster flight as its for the return to launch function and not fine control. You can only test these values once your further away as there effectively switched off once your close in.

it looks good..

It really depends on what you want to do man..
I am personally going to change to ardupilot..
My friends loves naza, he just got a hex tarot frame and put it on that..

I have recently decided I want to fly this stuff more autonomously and use it for video/photo..
im going to use the Multiwii for fpv racing..

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__56052__HKPilot_Mega_2_7_Flight_Controller_USB_GYRO_ACC_MAG_BARO.html

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__55819__AfroFlight_Naze32_Acro_AbuseMark_FunFly_Controller.html

http://rctimer.com/product-1148.html

http://rctimer.com/product-1166.html

yeah well that controller is good, you will notice it is more stable, recovers better ect..
I have just printed a t6 frame, all started well was looking OK.. once i got the soldering iron out and started melting the bits together is starting to look ratty..

So i am naming it the raT6
This was a 5 minute design job, I really need to invest a whole day designing my dream frame lol

Still need the rear motors on, esc's, wiring for power distribution and FC+ radio rx
Have a printed battery bay that will go directly underneath.

Should go off like a rocket with such low weight lol

Attachments

• t6rat.jpg
    t6rat.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 3,410
  • t6rat1.jpg
    t6rat1.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 3,410
  • t6ratmotormount.jpg
    t6ratmotormount.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 3,410
I like the trade offs with the t/y6..
less efficiency however..
Can be more stable in wind due to more of an aerodynamic kinda design and catch less wind gusts.. For e.g. I found the O design to kind of creates more of a bubble when flogging it + 3 extra arms as well as the massive center plate.
t/y design is easier to wire..
less overall size foot print.. its cool having a hex the same size of my quad..

You guys can even try a t/y 4, Twin motors on the back..
Since your getting some more motors you should get some frames or frame material :lol:

this started off in cad...ended up feeling like and arts and craft project.. I really need to take more time designing a frame..

here is a quick video of it in action..
[youtube]nlNPU7NN5t0[/youtube]

Today I was flying FPV with the mini, Flew it about 10 times today!! lots of fun..
Saw another crazy guy in the street experimenting with a gokart.. noisy petrol thing, though id race around the streets with the quadcopter 8) ..
Did a little bit of overcharging to give and extra powerful take off lol.

Thinking ill take this y6 to a nice deserted area and see how fast it will go...
After tinkering around with it at low hover, I spent lots of time trimming because today there was not much wind at all, typically it's very windy here..
I was able to get it to hover and not drift much at all, It looked comparable to a NAZA FC with gps lock for a few moments there. really happy with how stable it is.

Btw, this skyzone fpv kit is really good, I am getting really good range los with this thing, Without osd it was hard to say how hi i was, but at one stage my house was pretty small.. and thought id bring it down.. probably about 200 meters and not any glitch at all.. was so much better than 900mhz in this area.. ( 900mhz is used for cellular here in aus, and illegal to transmit on)
It was a real bastard to drop altitude tho, I used the streets as a guide to where I was, I did not want to accidentally land on a tree and I wanted to land in my street.. knowing using a cheap 2.4ghz tx on the mini, video will surpass the controller range.
I have now flown higher than what I did today, and it was with the miniquad lol

The video signal through my house was still okay, certainly did glitch out but never lost the picture, just a bit of static..
By the end of the day I was just doing crazy fast laps around my house sitting in my lounge room on my couch with the Video RX outside...

I think I will upgrade all transmitters to 433mhz soon, probably be around 200mw..
I just don't want to have to worry so much about my signal, I really need an osd that tells me signal strength as well...

So yet more things to buy lol, expensive hobby!

Tomorrow I am going to leave my house doors open.
-Bring the charger into the lounge room.
-Fly the miniquad from the lounge to outside and do my flights..
-land back inside, land near my feet..
-Pick quad up, recharge..
-fly again lol

sounds like a lot of fun! i would come over and join you if i wasn't 20tkm away ;)
i'm struggling with telemetry atm. no way to make it work. a little ACS758 current sensor attached gives readings on my remote, but no other data (from the serial line coming from the FC going the the transmitter) is shown. i wish all this telemetry stuff would make it into the main branch and be released soon, so more ppl could use it.
in the meantime i'm waiting for my new Multiwii and Megapirate AIO Flight Controller v2. looks like a REALLY decent piece of hardware. ordered some self adhesive foam as well to mount it vibration free.
it's bad that autumn is coming now - it will rain a lot and be cold and windy. not the best weather for copter flying, and no ebike either. i need a winter hobby as well ;)

yeah man, wish we were neighbours or lived in the area.... I could fly and bring you beer in exchange to be plugged in and charged haha.

Had a go of the Y6 today at a big park....
It feels bigger than what it actually is and boy oh boy it is a loud thing..once going full throttle the thing sounds like combustion engine on alcohol..

pretty much uncomfortable to use in the parks near my house because of the sound, the props being ontop of each other really makes alot of sound, and I can hear the motors working harder because its less efficient..

So I am going to scrap this frame and go back to a quad configuration... I was going to try a Y4, but the same thing will happen at the back and less yaw control with more sound than a regular quadX and less efficiency

seems like Quad x is the way to go really

I was in love with the idea.. I think if I was on a farm I would only fly y6 but the area i am in i really need to be considerate to other people... Don't want this hobby to scare people.
Yaw control on the y6 is pretty awesome...seemed so natural when flying fpv

I really love when your flying FPV how good it is to use roll and yaw for the perfect turn...
Was flying around the house again today pretty much WOT with the fpv250 hk model..
I was getting my turns closer and sharper while being able to maintain a pretty good speed..
it's a pretty gutless model compared to my bigger one so turning correctly is even more important to maintain a decent speed.

Left my back yard door open which is under my car port on the side of my house.. I was able to fly through it all at pretty reasonable speeds.. A couple of times I flew directly into the tree because I turned to late....
I need to get this 3 person station happening so i can do this with local friends.
..Just need one more fpv kit and a couple more mini quads built...

crappy sort of video, Hard without a camera man..
I may mount my gopro on a tall pole so i can try and capture the quad doing laps.. well capture most of it..
This is where i need like 3 or 4 gopros on each corner of my block.
It was extremely windy when i took this video. the mini handles it quite well
[youtube]iFX127qNziE[/youtube]

Tomorrow I will record some flights with my usb dvr, ill show you exactly what i am seeing when i fly the mini.
The pc has been tied up with the 3d printer, been running none stop printing frames and bits.

what does he mean by: "let's use drones for a good purpose ..."
i use them for having fun. i think that's a good purpose already :) i hate it when media always reports bad news about that stuff. we had some news about a drone flying very near to a little private airplane while this was landing. big news about dangerous drones. wtf!

A few annoying people have stirred the pot with the whole community
Super hi altitude flights, can find them on youtube,
Drone Trolling, People stalking other people.. There was a TBS discovery video where they followed a cop car, cop car decided to follow it, quadcopter landed on roof and waited it out lol.
They recently banned fpv goggles in the USA, or about to ban it... not up to date with it all..
I dunno why there is a crack down now on this stuff when there has been RC helicopters on the market for ages...

I really like the idea of an ambulance multirotor, looks like an awesome idea...

I just printed another mini frame, My own super basic design
But I need to bring the weight down further.. currently @ 112 grams... I wanted like 70-80 grams, so ill have to reduce the plastic on the arms.
Each arm took 40 minutes to print @ .25mm layer height.
%30 infilled honeycomb.

Attachments

• miniframe.jpeg
    miniframe.jpeg
    68.2 KB · Views: 3,079
Feel free to comment on how i could improve the design...
I like the size of it..

I am thinking the arms should probably be tubes with a + inside and I could probably make them about half as wide also..

Back