Quadcopter Build

nechaus said:
What do you mean not stable?
Oscillating ? is it twitching?
Or is it drifting alot?
i will try to make a video. maybe easier to show what's happening. it reacts very aggressive on my stick movements. when i want to lift it's impossible to hold a steady height with the throttle and it drifting a lot. it's also very hard to do a soft landing. it's more like a on/off situation - not really, but very hard to control.

I'm going to order this weekend.

I do have 2 more questions:

1. I am ordering this board: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/..._2560_V2_0_USA_Warehouse_.html?strSearch=2560

Do you have a recommendation for a GPS module? This board does not come with one, so I need to order one separately.

2. Are there any wires/cables/connectors I should be ordering along with all this stuff? Servo connector wires, etc. I'd hate to have everything here and be missing a cable that I then have to wait 3 weeks for... What gauge wire should I use for the primary power? 12 ga?

Deanwvu said:
I'm going to order this weekend.

I do have 2 more questions:

1. I am ordering this board: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/..._2560_V2_0_USA_Warehouse_.html?strSearch=2560

Do you have a recommendation for a GPS module? This board does not come with one, so I need to order one separately.

2. Are there any wires/cables/connectors I should be ordering along with all this stuff? Servo connector wires, etc. I'd hate to have everything here and be missing a cable that I then have to wait 3 weeks for... What gauge wire should I use for the primary power? 12 ga?

get some female leads, for your receiver to fc
power cables you can get away with smaller gauge.. but within reason.. i use 10 gauge but use a power distribution board .. should probably work out what you really need.
ublox gps is good, but its expensive, you might want to look at package deals
I really like that board, I think i need to buy one because i have spare gps module

-heat shrink.
-power connectors
-leds
-bec?
-remote relay for lights
-flight controller container
-spare collet/hub for prop(forget what they are called) hobbyking has a hi rate of not true machining

ALRIGHT...

I got the cart set (I think) for my USA warehouse. Here is what I have so far:

Quantity Stock Product description Price Weight
OK 387000007 - Multiwii and Megapirate AIO Flight Contr.. $47.33 45
OK 9387000028-0 - Multiwii MWC FC Bluetooth Module Program.. $7.61 19
OK D2830-111000 - D2830-11 1000kv Brushless Motor (US War.. $73.15 581
OK 9192000124-0 - Afro ESC 30Amp Multi-rotor Motor Speed C.. $98.00 315
OK 017000060 - 10x4.5 SF Props 2pc CW 2pc CCW (Green) .. $12.30 180
OK 017000061 - 10x4.5 SF Props 2pc Standard Rotation/2 .. $12.60 180
OK R620 - OrangeRx R620 DSM2 Compatible Full Range.. $13.65 29
OK AM-1303 - Twisted 22AWG servo wire 1mtr (R/B/W) 22.. $1.47 15
OK AM-1304 - Flat 26AWG servo wire 1mtr (R/B/W) (USA .. $0.69 15
OK AM-1021Bx10 - Servo Terminals (JR) Gold Plated (10pair.. $2.27 23
OK 347000001 - Hobbyking Electrical Connector Crimping .. $13.95 461
OK R12A1062-06 - Turnigy Pure-Silicone Wire 12AWG (1mtr) .. $2.38 50

Some items are only available in the International Warehouse--the frame, the controller box, the spare collets, and the GPS will have to be a separate order from there.

So, if you see anything I am missing, please let me know! If not, I'll be ordering today.

Thanks!!

Deanwvu said:
izeman said:
the connectors are correct. but you need the right crimping tool.

The crimping tool is in the cart as well.
I prefer to build the wires to custom length so they are the exact length that I need.

just saw it. can't say anything about those cheap crimping tools. i prefer customizing my wires as well. i have bought a lot of jst-sm and jst-xh as well as different other ones. this is the crimping tool: http://www.amazon.de/pa-20-universal-crimpzange-molex-hirose-wurth/dp/B002AVVO7U/ref=pd_sim_diy_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=0F3FM6QYRQEQY9KC5X3D that one is really high quality.

Deanwvu said:
What batteries do you guys like from HK? (for this setup, of course)
i have 3s 2650mah nano-tech. 25-50c. they may be a bit small. just order some of them or bigger ones.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__11915__Turnigy_nano_tech_2650mah_3S_25_50C_Lipo_Pack.html
i can't say a lot about flight time but i don't expect more than 5min. you may order some 4000mah ones - they are not that expensive.

izeman said:
i'm on my mobile. can't check your shopping list now. if you wish i can have a look in the next few hours.
checked. looking good :)
one thing that i'm still struggling with is the propellers hole. my 3530 motors have 5mm shafts and a 8mm propeller adaptor. so the holes need to be 8mm to fit on the adaptor. i had to order a propeller reamer to widen the holes. haven't received it yet. it's that one: http://www.ebay.de/itm/390885896125

As to the FC board. If you are into doing things like Nechaus a Multiwii or Arduino is nice. If you just want to fly I found the HK 2.1.5 board is super easy. The setup is simple with an onboard LCD and it will fly decent without much adjustment. I struggled forever with an older board, and could never figure out what it was doing. 5 minutes with the HK board I was up in the air.

My new issue is I bought another board to get the x525 back up. Only two motors are working. I can kick start the other two, but they won't consistently go on their own. Even when they do spin, the quad won't fly. How do I rule out whether that is an ESC or motor causing the problem? I've done throttle calibration a bunch of times and it doesn't seem to help. I've switched motors around on the board and it is always the same two that don't work. The motors spin up better without props and when I put props back on it still doesn't work. I did pick up a 350mm frame from HK on my latest order. Figured mine as well - $40 for a frame, motors and props. I already was paying shipping. I might have to switch everything to that platform and see if there are the same problems. Still need to get the FPV going,

dirkdiggler said:
As to the FC board. If you are into doing things like Nechaus a Multiwii or Arduino is nice. If you just want to fly I found the HK 2.1.5 board is super easy. The setup is simple with an onboard LCD and it will fly decent without much adjustment. I struggled forever with an older board, and could never figure out what it was doing. 5 minutes with the HK board I was up in the air.

My new issue is I bought another board to get the x525 back up. Only two motors are working. I can kick start the other two, but they won't consistently go on their own. Even when they do spin, the quad won't fly. How do I rule out whether that is an ESC or motor causing the problem? I've done throttle calibration a bunch of times and it doesn't seem to help. I've switched motors around on the board and it is always the same two that don't work. The motors spin up better without props and when I put props back on it still doesn't work. I did pick up a 350mm frame from HK on my latest order. Figured mine as well - $40 for a frame, motors and props. I already was paying shipping. I might have to switch everything to that platform and see if there are the same problems. Still need to get the FPV going,

It depends on the issue..

Are the motors vibrating or sounding funny?
I think a good way to isolate your issues would be to swap around your esc's.. you should be able to isolate it if its the motor or esc..
after leaving the thing powered off and unplugged for over 30 minutes, Are those motors that are not working harder to spin than the ones that are?

Discover what your issue is.
Analyse it
Isolate it
Resolve it

nechaus said:
...Are those motors that are not working harder to spin than the ones that are?
i have that issue. what will cause it? are vibrations destroying the bearing THAT fast? the quad was running 5min maximum. after a light crash in the lawn one propeller shaft was pressed further down into the motor. i replaced that motor and i can feel that it is slightly easier to spin - or spins a tick longer than the other ones if you give them a spin with your fingers.

izeman said:
nechaus said:
...Are those motors that are not working harder to spin than the ones that are?
i have that issue. what will cause it? are vibrations destroying the bearing THAT fast? the quad was running 5min maximum. after a light crash in the lawn one propeller shaft was pressed further down into the motor. i replaced that motor and i can feel that it is slightly easier to spin - or spins a tick longer than the other ones if you give them a spin with your fingers.

it could be normal, When your caps in the speed controller have charge, the fets are probably open which is acting like a short on phase which makes it hard to spin, This is normal... However if you leave it unplugged no power been through it for like 30 minutes, you know caps are empty, fets should be closed and they should be easy to spin.....

However
The issue doesn't make sense to me, two motors are broken at the same time? seems unlikely and to be an issue with wiring or something
Need some more information on the issue to try and diagnose it... Can you do a video?
How long has it been happening? after a crash? both motors at the same time? anything we should know ?
( I am not joking, I have SNIFFED out broken components before :p ) not such a bad idea to smell the ESC's. ( you can take off heatshrink & heatsinks and inspect fets to see if any have blown away or something broken if you smell it\s burnt)

Best thing I can suggest is try and isolate the issue, Test the motors that are not working directly via Reciever, bypass FC, If that works then you know something is wrong with FC or signal wire pins
if it does not work, Then try a different ESC on that same motor, if it still does not work, then its probably the motor which might be an idea to take off the bell/outrunner top and inspect for burnt coils...

How hot do your motors feel after flight?

you're mixing up two problems. dirkdiggler's one and mine :)
i'm talking about the harder to spin propeller issue alone. isolated from anything else. i just want to know what causes that. so why did it spin easier when new and a very little harder now?? i already noticed that it feels like shorted phases - if this happens there is a little stuttering from the magnets. but it changes with battery connected and powered one. funny thing.
i'm afraid that something could be damaged mechanically because of my many crashed into bushes. soft bushes with many leaves. so no hard impact. but as a total noob i don't know what a motor/shaft can take.
i couldn't find any spare shaft on hobbyking. where do you order them? and are they all the same? or are they specifically made for the one motor i have?
good thing was that i ordered 3 frames, and motors/esc/fc etc for 2 more models as i build one for a friend as well so i have enough spares atm - my friend will have to wait though :)

izeman said:
you're mixing up two problems. dirkdiggler's one and mine :)
i'm talking about the harder to spin propeller issue alone. isolated from anything else. i just want to know what causes that. so why did it spin easier when new and a very little harder now?? i already noticed that it feels like shorted phases - if this happens there is a little stuttering from the magnets. but it changes with battery connected and powered one. funny thing.
i'm afraid that something could be damaged mechanically because of my many crashed into bushes. soft bushes with many leaves. so no hard impact. but as a total noob i don't know what a motor/shaft can take.
i couldn't find any spare shaft on hobbyking. where do you order them? and are they all the same? or are they specifically made for the one motor i have?
good thing was that i ordered 3 frames, and motors/esc/fc etc for 2 more models as i build one for a friend as well so i have enough spares atm - my friend will have to wait though :)

ahh crap..

Well, unplug the motor phase wires and spin the motor, should be fairly easy to spin

Edit:
I happend to have all my stuff in pieces, Yet to build the hex, I quickly just spun all 6 motors, and they all felt the same, they are all unplugged from the ESC.
Like i was saying before, if you have them plugged into esc and it was recently powered on, the caps would probably have some voltage keeping the fets open on the esc's and it would feel like a shorted motor phases... but this is normal...

Another note
When you arm and apply small throttle, not enough to fly, you will most of the time notice that a couple of motors spin up progressively faster because of trim or the level of the acc..
this is expected and normal for the software, But it should only do this when you apply little throttle when arm, arming and no throttle, motors should all spin at the same consistent speed providing throttle position is below arm position.

If your getting shuttering in flight this is a completely different problem and I would continue to do bench tests with multiple speed controllers... PITA
Also what was your Low pass filtering set to? 42hz is pretty good, If you balance props you can put it higher, but 42 hz is good i find if you fly low to the ground.

i went "real" flying for the very first time now, and must say that it's not sooo bad compared to my backyard test. bringing it up to some height makes things easier. i enabled HORIZON mode and then added BARO which kept the quad at a quite stable height. it's position was not really stable but not that bad either.
i guess i have to change something in the remote. the way the copter is moving is weird to me. throttle is one the left up/down. but when i go left/right on the right stick it rotates on the place. so i guess this is YAW. it turn in another direction. but i'd like it to move to the left and right. or is this the correct thing to do and i have to adjust my brain?
another hint for noobs: NEVER fly into the sun ;) that copter is lost before you can even react!
for beginners i'd like to have some kind of emergency brake put on one switch so the copter won't move in ANY direction. it happens that the copter does something that i didn't expect or goes into another direction as i wanted it to go so activating that mode would help a lot. what mode would that be?
and i must say: atm 2650mah is enough. i broke two propellers with the first battery still at 3.8v :)

Back