rude road bikers (ie lycra"s or clown shirts etc)

rbelisle1

10 W
Waiting at a stop light, in the bike lane. 6 or 8 other bikes in front of me, 2 or 3 behind me. Light is red. Along comes the clown shirted fixie riding macho man. He just goes by everyone else that is stopped and jumps to the head of the line. Then he balances on the peddles for a min or two. The light changes and he is off, leaving the rest of us mortals in his dust. The rest of the communter bikes take off and we pass each other with care, once we are across the intersection and running at full speed. Fancy pants a couple of hundred feet ahead of us, has to swerve to miss a school crossing guard, because he is head down and trying to impress us. Then he speeds through a school zone, then he cuts off a car at a left turn. Total jerk, just like all but one set of guys I've met wearing lykra.

So, Me being Me, I catch him at the next light, he was going my way anyway... I say hello, He looks back and seeing I am on a crusier bike, does not even answer. So, clamly I explain that his riding style is rude and he should wait in line at stop lights, like everyone else. I get another look...Light changes, off he goes... I passed him about 200 yards down the road. Just to rub it in, I was smoking a cigarette and peddling backwards as I passed him... He turned down a side street a little bit latter. Total Jerk, no road manners at all... my guess is roid rage... light bike, funny pants=small (well you get the idea)

On the other hand, I passed a team of two lycras once. They caught me at a light about 2 miles latter. The pulled up and asked if my bike was electric. I said yes and explained that its my prefered method of getting to work.. The said cool and they were happy it was electric, because they thought I was the greatest bike rider they had ever seen and must have legs of steel to push my crusier that long and fast (fake peddling all the way). We all had a good laugh and they even waved and said goodby at the next turn....

I just dont understand rude people... Vent turned off now...

For goodness sake, can we stop this stereotyping :evil: You met an inconsiderate person riding a bicycle, period... Lycra, shirt style, number of gears etc. is completely irrelevant :)

We have a few road racing types in my town with an attitude. Only took a death by a car hitting one every year or so to make em that way. In this case, they carefully obey all traffic laws, including the one about they have as much right to the road as anybody else. So they gang up and ride as slow as they want and never pull over to let the train of cars following by. I see lots of bike riders ignoring all traffic laws here, and they usually are wearing gang colors and riding a bmx. Among normal people, commuting on bikes, I sometimes feel I am the only one in town that stops at a red light when there is not any traffic. E bike lets me pass em later though.

Damn those 'lycramanics' always showing off.....

spandex-1.jpg

Miles said:
For goodness sake, can we stop this stereotyping :evil: You met an inconsiderate person riding a bicycle, period... Lycra, shirt style, number of gears etc. is completely irrelevant :)

Most all of them that I see are like this....I agree and I will refrain from further venting about poor bike riding habits....

michaelplogue said:

Damn those 'lycramanics' always showing off.....

spandex-1.jpg

I alway wondered what happened to the "Michelin Man", and now I know :mrgreen:

Blessings, Snow Crow

I think the problem is those damn fixie riders... I've only met one nice person on one, and he just got it... Most try to do lame tricks all day and swerve around traffic like crazies...
Most roadies I've met are pretty cool once you talk to them, they might joke about the motor, but its all in good fun.

lol u think thats funny lol i used my electric scooter but no covers on it aka bata testing bike for work lmao :p. thiss was way b4 i went with a electric enduro with pedles lol so eneways i was rideing down town once near charry beach area with crissand stevo with his a123 80v setup lol. i was on my 80v sla setup he wanted to swap bikes because his ass was geting tired lmao so i was like oke lol so we where doing some testing and sight seeing lol when suddenly sone speed bike flys by us at like mark one and yells get off the path and after words his buddys as well so me being alittle pissed off riped the throttle and took off lol from 20km to a nice 80km lol :pP and flew pass them yelling its an ebike ass holes lol bye lol :p thay got pissed lol and steevo at 70km with massive lsa's passing them dieing lol

Kind a funny, I wear lycra and also ride ebike. Those lycra you make fun of, when you ride 50-100 miles - it saves your thigh from chaffing.

I also know quite a few lycra wearing cyclist from area bike clubs and they couldn't be more helping bunch; raising money for the poor, cancer causes, introducing cycling to new and overweight folk without making fun of them. They even like the fact that I ride Ebike for commuting.

Guy you met was a jerk - not because he was a lycra wearing stereo typical cyclist.

Oh yeah, stop smoking its not good for your health.

Damn Drunkencat, that last LOL post was LOL unreadable. Just kidding man.
I've seen those Fixie Pixies with the tight pants down in San Diego, it takes a certain type of person for sure, but you can't gang em all together under one roof. How would you like it if everybody judged you on what Safe says and how he acts? We are an assorted bunch from all walks of life, we come here as ebikers. But if you put us all out on the street together, I know there would be more than sharp words cuz some of us ride a little more wild than others. That guy was an ass no matter what he rides or wears. And you can't expect the lycras to accept us, because to them we are cheaters. Oh yeah, and one of the reasons I got into this sport was to bend the laws of the road. What you need is a high power laser to melt his tire while your sitting at the light behind his goofy ass.

etard said:
Damn Drunkencat, that last LOL post was LOL unreadable. Just kidding man.

Yeah, to be honest I read to about here:
drunkencat129 said:
lol u think thats funny lol i used my electric scooter but no covers on it aka bata testing bike for work lmao...
until my eyes gave up and I went on to the next post.

Not to sound like a grammar nazi or anything, but an occasional period/caps, or maybe skipping a line in between subjects would prevent others from skipping what you have to write.

rbelisle1 said:
He just goes by everyone else that is stopped and jumps to the head of the line. Then he balances on the peddles for a min or two.
Reminds me of a guy I saw in traffic a few months back. I was driving, and stopped at a red light to hear a thud on the back of my car a few seconds later. I looked around and saw a guy in lycra leaning on the back of my car to keep balance. The lights change and I drive off and by the next intersection there's another car in front of me. A few seconds later he comes past me and does the same thing again. This time I can see where the thud comes from, he gets the wobbles and with his feet stapped in basically falls onto the car along side. After 3 or 4 intersections of doing this the guy in front obviously gets the shits because the next time he comes to a red light he stops short. The guy on the bike arrives a few seconds later but this time as he gets the wobbles and goes to reach out the guy in the car jumps forward and the guy falls straight off his bike onto the road :lol:

Was it wrong of me to laugh ? :twisted:

Hyena said:
I looked around and saw a guy in lycra leaning on the back of my car to keep balance.

I ride my road bike in full glorious tight fitting technical clothing 8)

BUT...

If a cyclist was leaning on my car I'd tell them to f&#k off! They can either track stand properly or unclip/unstrap. I unclip. I see guys with perfect balance on geared road bikes no less trackstanding properly in tight traffic completly unfazed.

It's one thing to lean against a bus or hold on to the side when it's moving to get a boost :wink: , but hands off personal property (peoples cars).

At the same time, causing someone to fall is uncalled for IMO. The guy should have just cursed out of the window as a first warning.

Every group has its percentage of a-holes ... bicyclists are no exception.

Just point and larf at them.

Back