Thank you everyone

trav said:
I have a question about this kit, too. In the description of the 26in Rear Electric Bicycle Motor Conversion Kit 48v 1000w, it states "Battery recommendation: Electro kinetic cell battery ( Li, lead-acid, NiMH battery etc.) featured in nominal voltage 48v, nominal capacity not less than 17Ah is compatible with the motor"

I was planning on building a 12s2p LiPo using the 6s1p 5000 mah 20C batteries on HK, but that would only give 10Ah. So here is the question: would something bad happen if I tried using that LiPo configuration with this kit??

The only reason they would recommend a 17Ah battery is for sufficient discharge capability. A 10Ah LiPo battery can put out WAY more amps than you will likely need. In other words, you will have a kick-ass battery, even at 10Ah. Just be careful with it, since LiPo is more volatile than other chemistries.

Thanks for the response! I am doing a ton of research before building this thing. All the pictures in the LiPo injury thread in the "battery" section of the forum have inspired me to read as much as I can.

I appreciate the concern zip, especially for a first time build. I have seen pictures, and they are pretty frightening to say the least. Even if it costs a bit more, I gotta agree... I think it would be best to get a safe plug-n-play for the first build.

I don't have experience with LiPo batteries, but I have taken courses that involved the analysis of electrical circuits. Actually, in our university physics II class, my friends and I built a really awesome tesla coil! Without the proper knowledge, it would have been insanely dangerous. We spent more time prepping, researching the safety, and making calculations than we did actually constructing it (and that took 40+ hours easily).

In the mean time, I think I will work on engineering a safe charging/storage station for the LiPos. Perhaps I'll buy a pack or two to learn how to charge/balance the packs, and maybe do a controlled experiment to test the safety of the charging station.

With 20C lipo you could could use 5AH if you wanted to. That would be 100A rated. a 10ah 20c pack is rated for 200A. The stock controller only draws 30A max. If you used weak lifepo4 then 15ah should be ok, but barely.

Ah! I get it. I'm looking mostly to ride back and forth to work and school. It's about a 10 to 15 mile round trip, tops. I think the largest appeal with the Li Po packs is the size. I'm setting up the ledge 2.2 right now, and having a big, honkin' battery brick doesn't seem too safe. I guess the other bright side is the customization that is possible with using that sort of setup. Thanks for the advice.

Should I file the Dropouts even further? Not a lot of meat on them. I'm thinking two torque arms. Any thoughts. Gt aluminum frame, Yescomusa 1000w

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 1,636
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 1,636
Hey guys, got my Yescom kit installed about a week ago. I had to do some mods but nothing serious. My biggest problem was having to align the disc brake in the caliper. What a headache!

Anyways, I've been waiting on a supply from calibike for a 48v15ah batt. I talked to him 2 days ago and apparently his batts are held up in customs in long beach Port.
In the event they don't make it through I'm seriously considering getting Lipo from HK.
Paul at EM3ev has suspended all orders until he can catch up and I don't want the weight of Lifepo from Ping.

That said my commute distance is 14 miles. I'm thinking 16s of 5000mah of lipo will suffice. That would be 4 4s packs from HK. I have no experience with Lipo but have done serious research on it.
Can someone help me/tell me wether this setup will get me my distance needed.
My kit is the 1000w YCom. 26a controller.

I don't want to spend more than $550 for batts, charger, PS, and medics/harnesses
Thanks

-probably too high a voltage for your controller. (4.2V*16= 67V) unless your controller is rated at 72V
(yes I didn't read the whole thread)
12s 4P will get'r and save $100 or thereabouts.

Simple818 said:
So the most I can do is 12s 4p with the controller I have?

You can probably get away with up to 15S but 16S is very likely pushing your luck.

Simple818 said:
Pics of bike

Looking good!

If possible, you should turn the rear axle 180 degrees so the motor wires come out the bottom of the axle to prevent water ingress. Have your motor wires looped downward to form a "drip loop". This will help prevent water damage if you are caught in inclement weather.

You can double check, but i'm pretty sure the caps in the controller will be 63V. Fully charged 16S lipo will be 67.2V. Fets will be 68-75V, but you'll likely blow the caps sooner than later at much over 63V which is 15S lipo. The controllers LVC will be 42V, which makes 12s lipo perfect for it. You'll need 10ah. If you can manage the 4s hardcase packs, that's about $150 for 6 of them.

wesnewell said:
You can double check, but i'm pretty sure the caps in the controller will be 63V. Fully charged 16S lipo will be 67.2V. Fets will be 68-75V, but you'll likely blow the caps sooner than later at much over 63V which is 15S lipo. The controllers LVC will be 42V, which makes 12s lipo perfect for it. You'll need 10ah. If you can manage the 4s hardcase packs, that's about $150 for 6 of them.

I assume you mean these Wesnewell

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__15521__Turnigy_5000mAh_4S1P_14_8v_20C_hardcase_pack.html

Those are the 4S hardcase packs Wesnewell is referring to. But get them from the USA warehouse. Shipping will be cheaper, and they are currently in stock.

Got my ebike Grin!!

Final build

Bike GT Avalanche 3.0 Ht

Motor/controller. Yescom 1000w kit

Batt. Calibike 48v15ah

Top Speed 46kph. 29mph
Result=. Holy shit this is fun

Near future ad dons
26" street tires. Knobbies suck at high speeds on the street.
Triangle case. Cheap Ibera bag I have is not going to hold up.
Pix to come

And now you're going to try to ride from Glendale to Hollywood. Got the suit you want to be buried in picked out yet?

I'm glad you tried to set the others straight about their "Crashing is part of the game," but those narrow roads populated with crazy drivers you're about to dive into, that's the kind of stuff squid are made of. . . .

Dauntless said:
And now you're going to try to ride from Glendale to Hollywood. Got the suit you want to be buried in picked out yet?

I'm glad you tried to set the others straight about their "Crashing is part of the game," but those narrow roads populated with crazy drivers you're about to dive into, that's the kind of stuff squid are made of. . . .

I did it today. I actually made it faster on bike than I would have by car.
You are not kidding about narrow roads and crazy drivers. I jumped on the sidewalk for a good portion of the ride. I'm going to have to play it very smart and not taking any chances with these idiots and their BMW M3s. Plus, the tourists don't help much.
7 miles to work made it in 25 min on ebike. By car 35 minutes

I highly recommend this bag from revelate designs.. The Velcro is industrial strength the zippers are super sturdy and theirs a overlap on the front top to run your wires threw without letting in water. The stitching is incredibly strong. It is a very well made bag.

Plus it fits the 48v 15ah calibike battery perfect.. ONLY THE LARGE SIZE. The small and medium sizes I think won't be tall enough for the battery..

I absolutely love mine it's also got a second side storage so u can keep your phone/wallet/ect in it. Plus it comes in a variety of colors, I think the grey/slate color would look badass on your bike. Just measure your top tube to make sure it'll fit. But in all honesty it is worth every penny of the $77 shipped because I know it will last a very long time.

Edit: I forgot the link https://www.revelatedesigns.com/index.cfm/store.catalog/Frame-Bags/Tangle-Frame-Bag

Let us know how that battery works out. Best to peddle a little to start 3-4 mph. Plus some good pads. Plus a thick slime tube from walmart for the rear.
I'm glad you got it togethere and down the road. Good luck.

this is rafe from calibike.
I now have plenty of stock of the 48v15 batteries
www.calibike.com

Back