The new Qute Q100H motor

d8veh said:
toniovelo said:
What's news about the Q100H? Tests? :wink:
I have my motors now. I've built them into wheels, so I only need to install them, which will be quick because they replace the old Q100s; however, I'm working on my folder at the moment, so it will be a couple of days before I get to my Rocky Mountain. Hopefully, I should have some answers by Monday. Sorry for the delay.

You are the best :mrgreen:

I have them installed now, and I had a brief try in the rain,but without any measuring devices to get exact data. They're not a massive step-change from the normal Q100. I would say definitely more torque, but nothing like a BPM. Two of these still can't match my single 500W BPM for climbing power. The speed is also more, but, again, the difference on the road is not massive. I'll try and get more exact data when the weather improves. At a rough guess, 10% more torque and speed than the original Q100s.

Here they are installed on my Rocky Mountain:

@D8veh: you have the 260 rpm? What is vmax in km/h? You find it's only 10% more torque than old q100?

I haven't had a chance to measure yet because of the weather. I'll try tomorrow. They definitely spin faster than the old ones.

2WD gives options for power and efficiency. I use the rear motor with PAS for normal operation, and the throttle works both of them for hill-climbing and off-road traction. The traction has to be experienced to be believed. It's so much better than a single rear motor. Two small motors allow the suspension to work properly too.

It would be interesting to know whether these extra torque and speed are are coming from a better motor efficiency or just a higher current. Thanks.

I suspect that they've upgraded the wire and the magnets. Some manufacturers have two versions of the same motor depending which market they sell it to. They use higher grade wire and magnets for European OEMs. The temptation to switch to lower grade later must be high. The original Q128 had reasonable power at first, but later versions were gutless. Now there's a higher power version.

d8veh said:
I suspect that they've upgraded the wire and the magnets. Some manufacturers have two versions of the same motor depending which market they sell it to. They use higher grade wire and magnets for European OEMs. The temptation to switch to lower grade later must be high. The original Q128 had reasonable power at first, but later versions were gutless. Now there's a higher power version.

You suspect that the new q100h can support more ampere than q100s(with 17/18a max)? 20a or more? best wires and magnets? What is your vmax in km/h with thi motor? (in 36v or 48v)

The new q128h is maybe the ideal motor between q100s and bafang bpm??? What is max ampere for the q128h? Is it possible to build it with bike with 137mm rear space?

Thanks a lot! :D

The Q128 fits OK in a bike with 135mm drop-outs. You have to spring the frame a bit, but it's no problem.

cwah said:
by the way dave, do you think it's ok to use 2 motors at the same time all the time? on top speed too?
Yes. For a short while, I had two 328 rpm Q100s in a bike. With my weight, acceleration wasn't fantastic, but it cruised easily at 25 mph. With your lighter weight, it would be even better. Nearly all the time, they were drawing the maximum current (15 amps each), so the controllers got pretty hot, so if you do it, make sure they get plenty of air. That wouldn't be such a problem with bigger controllers and motors.

d8veh said:

Wouldn't surprise me. I disassembled a standard Q100, and the magnets feel quite weak, even compared to some N40 neodymium magnets I had, let alone N52s . The packing of the copper seems fairly inefficient as well. I reckon I could get 20-25% more copper in there by tighter winding alone.

Thanks for the review. Looks as though the H series might be worth the little extra.

d8veh said:
cwah said:
by the way dave, do you think it's ok to use 2 motors at the same time all the time? on top speed too?
Yes. For a short while, I had two 328 rpm Q100s in a bike. With my weight, acceleration wasn't fantastic, but it cruised easily at 25 mph. With your lighter weight, it would be even better. Nearly all the time, they were drawing the maximum current (15 amps each), so the controllers got pretty hot, so if you do it, make sure they get plenty of air. That wouldn't be such a problem with bigger controllers and motors.

Any idea for no problem with controller and limit to 15A max the Q100. Take a ku 123 controller (30A), there is 2 shunts in this controller and you keep only 1 shunt so 30A/2= 15A , it's possible i think?

Yes, I had a chance to try on a longer ride. Cruising speed is about 19 mph (with two motors). I can still feel the motors doing something at 20mph, but not much. They seem to have more mid-range power than the standard Q100s, but I think that might e just because of the higher winding speed, The previous ones ran out of oomph at 15 mph, while as these are still making good power at that speed. The same with the torque, the previous ones went down below 8mph for high torque, I'd say that these make the same torque at 5mph faster.

In summary, they're better than the standard Q100, but don't expect a torque monster.

toniovelo said:
d8veh said:
You could do that, but why?

Just because the KU123 is more strong if you use the q100 in 48v.

You can just use the KU63 at 48v and 15 amps - same as the 12 fet with one shunt.
The 6 fet will last up to 63v.

d8veh said:
Yes, I had a chance to try on a longer ride. Cruising speed is about 19 mph (with two motors). I can still feel the motors doing something at 20mph, but not much. They seem to have more mid-range power than the standard Q100s, but I think that might e just because of the higher winding speed, The previous ones ran out of oomph at 15 mph, while as these are still making good power at that speed. The same with the torque, the previous ones went down below 8mph for high torque, I'd say that these make the same torque at 5mph faster.

In summary, they're better than the standard Q100, but don't expect a torque monster.

You have the Q100H in 260 rpm version and battery in 36v i suppose? v-max is 30km/h in 36v? (so 40km/h in 48v)

So more torque but only 10% or 20%? No need new q100h if we are the old q100... For more torque, the BPM is stronger!

@ samd: my ku63 (open) has 6 fet will last up to 50v caps... bad new if i want to put in 48v... lol

260 rpm is 32km/hr no-load at 36v, but a 36v battery is mostly 10% higher voltage, so average no--load speed is about 35km/hr.

One BPM with 30 amps = 2 x Q100H with 15 amps each

I didn't try the Q100H with more amps. It might be possible to increase it to 20 amps, and then you get 30% more torque. The controllers on my bike are burried deep inside, so I can't experiment with different currents.

OK thanks a lot!

If wires and magnets inside Q100H are biggest than old Q100, i think it's possible to put 20A... but we wait a good test :mrgreen:

I don't think it has any more torque at low speed for hill-climbing. The current in the standard Q100 starts decreasing after about 11mph, so the torque goes down with it. The Q100H has a higher speed winding, so the current at say 14 mph is much higher. Therefore, at that speed, torque is higher.

d8veh said:
I don't think it has any more torque at low speed for hill-climbing. The current in the standard Q100 starts decreasing after about 11mph, so the torque goes down with it. The Q100H has a higher speed winding, so the current at say 14 mph is much higher. Therefore, at that speed, torque is higher.

OK good job, thank you! :mrgreen:

Back