Controller to work properly with lithium ion battery pack

300MPH

10 µW
Hey guys!

I am currently having a problem with my electric pedicab that had lead acid batteries that I have swapped out for 100 ah lithium ion battery pack.

The battery indicator says the battery charge is full even though it is empty.

I have a friend who told me.that yhe lead acid controller will always read full because the lithium ion battery puts out yhe 54 volts until it runs out and that I need to hook up an amp output meter. To see whats going on.

Ia have a bbs 02 mid drive yhat does not work and have a fantastic real axle motor on my cab that runs me and 2 people 23-25 MPH on flat ground. I saw an adjustable controller on luna cycle that is out of stock. ...

I tried to hook up another controller that was supposed to be for a lithium ion battery that had 6 hall sensors( red, black, blue, yellow, green and white) for the motor instead of the 5 that are on the one I have ( red, black, blue, yellow and green). I tried to hook up the same colored wires and as soon as I pedaled with pas, the motor started to run backwards to stop me like a brake. When I removed the white wire and pedaled forward 5 feet, the bike then went back 5 feet.....

So I need a programmable controller that will be easy enough to hook up the hall wires so it works.

The battery manufacturer tells me the lead acid controller will work but I wont get as much out of the battery in terms of distance.

I am in Chicago and need to figure out something fast because I am not making money.

Also. I have a bbs 02 mid drive that turns on but does not spin with either pas or throttle..... If I could get this to work, it woukd be the best for me in terms of battery life/torque/ etc... if anybody knows anybody in the Chicago area who can diagnose or fix the bbs 02, that would help tremendously....

If anybody has any suggestions, that would be great.

My # is 407 223 0053.

Thanks in advance for any help, Paolo

To get the bbs to run on a strange controller, you have to dope out the wires. RBG will not be same on all controllers, or motors. so its a random try thing.

Start with the fat wires color matched, then try different combinations on the small ones. swap blue for green, then yellow for green and so on through all the combos. one should work fine.

The white wire on the new controller might be a problem, it might be for an overheat shut off. We need a lot more info on that controller to help on that. Its also possible the wire is there, but unused and does not matter.

You also need to know a lot more about what your battery is doing, for your needs. A cheap blue watt meter on the wires between the battery and controller will do, but I can't say strongly enough, a stand alone cycle analyst would be a lot better. I have three, and don't regret the cost one bit.

Bottom line is you need to learn how to dope out the combos on new controllers, or buy controllers that have self learning. Your current one might have it, for all we know. And you need to know what your battery status is in watt hours, not volts. So get the watt meter soon too.

First thing to try on the BBS is a different throttle, or short the throttle wires to make it run. Not sure what colors wires to jump on that particular throttle to test it though.

Good pictures help a lot, including the inside of the controller.

FWIW, there are a number of conversions of BBSxx to external controllers, some of which are listed here:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=bbs*+control*&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=bbs*+phase*&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Those may help you figure out the wiring.

If you want to replace the controller/etc with originals, you can get those, too; there's threads around here about that.

What controller do you have now where did you get it is this the one from Luna cycle. If the motor doesn't spin correctly the first time tune-up Full Throttle it and think it's going to work the second third or fourth time at Full Throttle just a little throttle see if it's going in the right direction. Do put are pedicab up on the air on a milk crate because it could spin backwards and the pedals could spin backwards and knock in the jaw. So with a little throttle keep away from the pedals and the pedal arms there are like 36 different color combinations I write them down. Or if you feel lucky swap some wires around red and black or always the same and you only need a little throttle to indicate if it is working properly or not.

Back