1 day pass-the-hat for Naeem, the most hardcore Ebike ever.

liveforphysics said:
I just called the local Western Union place, and they said it would be $20 to Pakistan for amounts under $1,500usd. That seems pretty reasonable.
Whew, just made it. ;)

dogman said:
Holy Cow guys! Of course, this just had to be on the day after I sent every penny I have to citibank. Bills due mostly on the 1'st yaknow.

What a great support for a great guy. Way to go!

I think you're confusing Pakistan with India.

Rimshot.

:wink:

Genius as usual. :) The WU fees really would hurt with one at a time contributions. Contribution sent. Hopefully you have fudged the 7:00 deadline a little.

... I see I missed the boat. No problem. Just let it sit for the next round. Hopefully there will be enough stragglers to justify another WU transfer.

Thanks for your initiative on this!

Naeem,

No pressure. You have a long hard job ahead and it will be back and forth as it was with your very very low cost bike. We will enjoy watching it unfold over time.

Gordo,

Being out of the country with no paypal and until recently no Moneygram convenient to me, I've used WU fairly often. Online or by phone costs more because it's using a credit card with associated costs and increased fraud losses. For a cash/cash transfer from here to the US it was $12 for up to $100, and $68 for $1k, with the overall % decreasing with amount. That's why the $20 quoted to LFP for up to $1500 for a Western Union transfer floored me, because I was expecting $80 or so. Maybe Moneygram has forced a change in WU's previously larcenous rates. They could be making up for it with the exchange rate paid on the other end, since they pay in local currency. Before they only snagged a small spread with the exchange rate on the receiving end.

I've sent some MG's recently, and $9 for up to $100 is their fee, and $15 up to $1k, so $20 for $1500 sure sounds like the Moneygram fee. Plus, unlike WU, they'll receive and pay in dollars with no profit on exchange.

Both MG and WU have specials between certain countries. eg Here to Nicaragua is much cheaper, because those transfers are so common, with Nicaraguans working in Costa Rica and sending money home regularly. They also have some pressure from regional money transfer companies too, which are even cheaper.

I saw this and thought I would send a couple bucks (unfortunately literally just that) but then saw LFP's extremely generous donation in my name, and it almost brougth tears to my eyes, and it did make me blush. :oops: Then I saw that I would have been too late, anyway, by myself. :(

Luke, I appreciate it very much! Thank you for sending it to him--he certainly deserves it, with what he's done so far, and what he will do in the future.

I missed the 7pm closing time by about 5mins yesterday to send it.

But I just sent it this morning, and they only do the "money in minutes" option for Pakistan, so he will have it soon enough. :)

It was kinda good I missed the 7pm time, because this way I got to include a couple late donations. (will update list when I'm not posting from my phone.

The Western Union lady said, "how much do you want to send to Pakistan?"

I answered, "as much as I can."

She informed me in no uncertain terms, "you're gonna get scammed."

I told her, "I cant be scammed, I'm only looking to get a smile in return for the money, and the smile is actually both optional, and all ready paid in advance."

Oh man, I wish I had seen this sooner! I'd love to send him my Amped Bikes 9 X 7 kit if it's feasible, somehow I missed this post, haven't had time to read the whole thing, but hey, I'd love to help out!

Please let me know if there is going to be any shipment sent to him, I'm doing lots of errands today, someone plz PM me with info if it's time sensitive, hate to miss a chance to ship it to him. :)

Trippy, in the photo on the first page he looks like that guy from The Office and The 40-Year-Old Virgin......but with an electric bike.

Cool to see this.

liveforphysics said:
I'm only looking to get a smile in return for the money, and the smile is actually both optional, and all ready paid in advance."

Hi Luke,

Thank you for leading, having a big heart to include all of us in it, helping is a big thing specially if you don't expect anything in return. 2011 is one of the biggest year for ES for sure.
According to the word it's always multiplied back to the sender in many forms of blessing. :D

Zenon

I think the list is all updated and correct now. :) If I missed anyone or made a mistake in your username or what ever, feel free to PM me and I will correct it.

Here are some pics. I wish I could see Naeem's face when he see's all that cash. :)

moneyr.jpg

wuname.jpg

I PM'd him the number to pick it up, and he said everything is closed on Pakistan on a Sunday (which makes sense), and that he would get it on Monday. :) (Yes, the Western Union lady typo'd the "N" for an "M" in his name, but she said he has the number it won't matter.)

And then a few hours later that day, I had a fet pass-through event on an ignition system I'm building, and had the mildest KFF incident I've ever had, no burns at all, just a little arc-soot, and the connector took the worst of it. :) Good Karma 8)

kffv.jpg

I've been out of town for a few days and missed the whole event. What a terrific show of international suppport for a great cause. What you guys did is awe inspiring, and now Naeem will feel the pressure to complete his project. :D Can't wait to see how it comes out.

I will be ready to make a $$ contribution when some shipping charges need to be paid.

Wow sorry I missed this opportunity, I would have sent him a little cash as well. Good show Luke and everyone! Congrats Naeem, hope you can make some good use of the cash!

-Dylan

I Missed all this,, Slack. :cry:

Maybe there will be another round, then I can donate double to make good.

Well done Luke, for the idea and the effort you put in. :D

He got it, every bit, which I was glad about, as if they made him pay fee's on the pick-up side I would have never used WU again.

I don't know that he actually ever saw this thread. No joke. Or if he did, he was too shy to show up in it, which is kinda a shame.

This is his PM response to me when I asked if he had any troubles picking up the money. I had told him to bring a duffel-bag for all the cash. :)

"
Yes Sir, I have received the amount (Rs. 1,26,565 to be exact). Wow

I feel ashamed for I have only the words of thanks. I'm totally at a loss of words.

I wounder, will I be able to spend it in a way that nothing is wasted? It is surely a big responsibility. I will keep on updating every body in my post about the work in progress. I will take much care so that nothing is wasted. I pray Lord that He may give me the strength to fulfill what I've started with the support of nice people on ES specially your goodself.

I shall remember you and everybody who contributed, in my prayers, for their good health and well being.

Respectfully Yours
M. Naeem Zahid"

Works for me...

I will, for sure be, following the rickshaw thread.

Have you noticed how many of our forum's EE 'smarter' folks have been helping him? You guys are most likely giving him more than we can with the $s. But I'm sure the bucks will help him a bunch too :mrgreen: .

It will be fun to see what Naeem comes up with. :idea: :idea: :idea:

Good to here Western Union came through... I am extremely happy Naeem chose to accept this
donation, i recall several occasions previously when free parts for his own projects where offered
to which he very humbily & politely declined. I hope this donation makes things a little easier for
Naeem to achieve his goals.

All the best Naeem you rock
smiley-faces-84.gif

KiM

I didnt know about this thread until i had offered to donate some parts to Naeem on his build thread...sorry to be redundant.

I am trying to put together a shipment to send to Naeem...going out from San Francisco. I dont think customs will sweat it going in that direction...and anyways its worth a try. I will use USPS because i have had the most luck with them in the past in international shipments getting past customs. I am going to check shipping prices and may go with private courier.

I have done my homework and read this entire 8 page thread on the ins and out of shipping to pakistan....should be no problem. :) no tax as marked as gift...same experience i have had shipping to other countries.

http://www.wiredpakistan.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6990&p=3

I am planning to send a heavy duty 24v motor and a large pile of brand new NIMH batteries...i am sending in separate boxes and marking them as gifts.

Right now for sure we need a controller for brushed 24v motor...and a throttle. Naemm has said so in his thread that he will need a controller to put this 24v motor to use.

If anyone has a controller and throttle they would like to donate please let me know.

extremegreenmachine said:
I am planning to send a heavy duty 24v motor and a large pile of brand new NIMH batteries...i am sending in separate boxes and marking them as gifts.

Right now for sure we need a controller for brushed 24v motor...and a throttle. Naemm has said so in his thread that he will need a controller to put this 24v motor to use.

If anyone has a controller and throttle they would like to donate please let me know.

I have plenty of controllers, but lets send him some actual good stuff if we're going to spend the money to send it out there.

Nobody wants NiMH. :p I have 11 bricks of 20Ah A123 26650 M1 cells I could contribute. That only makes a 700watt-hour pack, which is board-line on pointlessly small, but it's a hell of a lot easier to work with (charge) than NiMH. I don't know if he could use a PERM 132 motor for anything (kinda heavy and bulky), but I think I've got 4-5 of them at the shop right now.

physics..

Must have been pming you just as you wrote that post....

You think your motor is better cut out for his build than the one i have? How heavy is it?

The thing about mine is it has proven bulletproof at 24volts on the egovehicle..i have ridden the hell out of that ego with passenger and everything up SF hills...seems to have stood the test of time that egovehicle.

extremegreenmachine said:
You think your motor is better cut out for his build than the one i have?
I think he was thinking in addition to, not instead of. ;)

Dunno how I missed this January thread... But have it on good authority that WESTERN Union/wattever money transfers are... awkward in some countrys... Anybuddy reading this, and ya can hook me up w/hawala? ...pls PM me
LocK

Back