16 years... working for the man... been set free !

etriker said:
I was working at Sperry computers in the 80s when they fired everyone that worked on the second floor.
Which Sperry? I worked at the one that became Honeywell CFSG here in Phoenix up on Deer Valley Road, starting in the late 80s until the early 90s, when they laid off more than 3/5 of the workforce there, including me (a final test tech on the MD80/88 / A320/340 etc line).

With love don't let em get to your pans

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZD2lrjysTY

Poke on the lyrics you will go mad

Well, trust little you to take it to a level You want but don't understand Back up the truck, Joe, wheel out those excuses You don't want to dirty your hands

Napoleon complex lower than low High enough to think you can try Over the side, the ship goes down I'm still around to testify

So bring on the Sturm und Drang I just want to get drunk and head bang So much for the ten year plan You're just another company man

Well, I must admit some mornings when it hits I don't want to do it my way I see you and you and your worthless crew Fighting to get on the runway

Dizzy, dizzy heights, terrifying lows Don't look around just climb I'll see you later when you come back to me 'Cause everybody gets a little Judas sometimes

So here's the Sturm und Drang I just want to get drunk and head bang So much for the ten year plan You're just another company man

amberwolf said:
etriker said:
I was working at Sperry computers in the 80s when they fired everyone that worked on the second floor.
Which Sperry? I worked at the one that became Honeywell CFSG here in Phoenix up on Deer Valley Road, starting in the late 80s until the early 90s, when they laid off more than 3/5 of the workforce there, including me (a final test tech on the MD80/88 / A320/340 etc line).

Oldsmar

Geeked out with these :) http://www.google.com/search?q=uyk+20&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=

Wrote test programs, troubleshot boards, did lots of paperwork and walked around and helped others do paperwork.

My boss told me when I started that my most important job was to get the paperwork right and don't let an Admiral see me working on a computer without my grounded wrist strap on. :)

We were all pencil pushers there. :)

Yeah it gets bad doesn't it. I was trawlling through the garage last night looking for something (UV light box for PCB's) and came across about 6Kwh of lead acid, all sulphated up. Nothing worse than going - I might just check these now and finding 12V SLA at 1V - yeah, thats dead.

Another 200Kg or so of scrap metal - sigh.

I'm such a bad hoarder, there are decomissioned servers and PC's everywhere that were destined for the dump, but I rescued. Very sad. Freecycle is brilliant though, when it gets too much it usually gets dumped there.

When I quit my "dream job", I took three years off before I started working again. I would do it again if I were faced with the same situation.

Hi Gaston!

About 20 years ago, I got called into the boss's office for a meeting that turned out to be a suprising and unexpected terminations. I had left a position at a a high-end consulting firm to take a managment position at a regional VAR (value-added retailer) that had been bought by Tiger Direct, with the intention to market computers in the same way Dell later went on to do. Unfortunately, Tiger Direct's real intent was to float a bond issue, and once that was done they shut down the VAR, and as the most expensive person I was the first to go. It took a few months, but eventually the place was completely shut down and everything sold off... a freind of mine bought the filing cabinets with all the customer records, and started a lucerative business selling those abandoned customers maintenance agreements.

It was sudden, and abrupt, but I got nice severance, 5000 stock options (quickly sold), and I knew they were desperate to have me back at my former job, so I thought I was OK. I took some time off, enjoyed myself, reveled in the freedom of being detached, and eventually went back to work.

It was 6 months before I started to realize how much it had impacted me, my sense of security and my sense of self worth - after all, our jobs are the root of our stability. I knew the problem was with the business, not with me, and that I was secure, but while I recognized that on a concious level, in my gut I felt that I had failed, and I took it personally.

It took me a long time to sort through those issues, and I never lost another job. So I guess I would tell you that even though you think you are fine you may be more impacted than you realize, so if/when it hits you take it easy, keep reminding yourself that you are not at fault and that everything will be OK.

Enjoy Re-Inventing Gaston - Gaston 1.0 was a heck of nice guy, the 2.0 model will be stunning.

-JD

Hey sorry to hear about this Buddy but it may be the making of you!! about 5 years ago I walked out on the job I had been in for 15 years, I had just had enough of the job, I didnt have any job to go to either and still all the bills and stuff to pay, it was scary and liberating at the same time.

It was the best thing that I ever did, within 1 month I got a much better job I earned 50% more money for 25% less hours, within a month I met the current lady and here I am 5 years later still loving my new job with 2 kids who I adore of course and still have all my ebikes :D

Best of luck to you bro and have a happy 30 week holiday, I look forward to seeing plenty of videos and rebuilds and what not, you have the time now! time for some Frankenstein ebike builds...you got enough parts! ha ha

Hey guys !.

I have not been posting as much as usual, funny thing when you are home and not stuck at a desk... :D

Doing good, not missing the job one single bit, and loving the time off, for the first time in my " life " i've had 4 weeks off... and a quite a few more in reserve, this feels GREAT.

Been sleeping in and getting up when i feel like it (* tho i have to get out of bed and feed Sandy at 7:30am, then i can go back to bed... or else :lol: )

Must start exercising as a daily activity, and also eating at normal intervals.. i have not had work anxiety or butterflies in weeks... digestive system is all out of wack lol.

Gifts will be few this year, i'm giving the kids ( sisters and brother's kids only ) some small items but i told all adults they are not getting anything from me so dont buy me anything either.. but i know many will.. i hate that.. imo.. giving gifts should be mainly for the kids.. adults can earn and buy their own toys.

Catching up on missed episodes of start trek, and stargate, slowly.. and i mean SLOWLY getting the house cleaned up and organized but a long way to go still...

Have had a few potential job leads come my way but honestly, right now i just want to take a vacation and relax for a while longer.

Only good things to come.. 8)

Glad to hear your doing well and keeping your head up. Merry Christmas!!

great to hear ypedal.

You should be able to get unemployment for a while as well.. id definitely look into it.
it's not a great deal , but every bit helps.

Ypedal said:
Hey guys !.

X

Must start exercising as a daily activity,

X
I found this stretching and exercising manual.
Link - http://www.sportsmedicinedr.com/Fitness_Manual.pdf

Upload so it don't get lost
View attachment Fitness_Manual.pdf

I put the stretching pictures on one big page with Adobe Illustrator. Not sure if .ai file will work here? Prints on 19x13 paper. Could change to PDF with smaller paper if any one asks.

That is a bummer.I had a great job at G.E when l was young and thought I was set for life.After I bought a house I got laid off that was a bummer to.I had severence pay and took all the time.it was a good time. In the end I was glad to be out of that prisson. You are a survivor and good things happen to those who never give up. :D

Been a while since i've updated this thread... bringing it back to life.

Weather finally improving, warming up and the last few days have been just absolutely " Perfect " ..

It's spring cleaning out here this week, and after hauling something like 400 lbs of what i consider junk to the curb, every muscle in my body hurts, the pickers have taken away a whole lot of it, seems a car or truck and trailer roll by every 30 minutes and the pile shrinks..

One man's junk is another's treasure i guess.. once upon a time this was considered being a bum.. but a gradual change towards being seen as acceptable over the last couple years means more and more people drive around and pick thru the piles.. less stuff in the landfills is a good thing 8) . i've even gone and helped a few guys load stuff..

Still enjoying the good life, last 2 weeks or so i've seen almost every local customer, bike tuneups, minor repairs, battery conditioning, managed to earn myself a good wad of extra cash. it's awesome.

I've started an odometer on my homepage, logged 330 + kms so far ( mostly in the last month ), working on importing a batch of front, geared hubs, received a sample and as expected they got a few things wrong but i'm working on a 2nd sample before i commit to the full order, going for low power, 350w, front 26" kits.. and testing lead acid as a real econo-kit .. more on that later this month... :wink:

Loosing weight, down to 181 lbs ( from 190 ) , aim is 170..

Got myself a new bed today, i've had hand me downs all my life, this is a brand new , virgin matress, will have to find me a lady friend to break this thing in :p .. can't wait to go to bed tonight.

As far as the old job goes, i sometimes find myself thinking back of how it all went down, still seems surreal, and after a few moments of getting angry at being shown the door.... i come to my senses and accept that this is a good thing..

I keep in touch with friends from the old workplace, good people, in a bad place, i feel sorry for them and have to laugh when they start ranting about the typical BS that keeps on taking place .. corporations that get too big and focus on nothing but share value at " all costs " loose track of the people that earn them those dollars. it's sad.

Well, time for a glass of red wine, and settle in for sunday night cartoons. tomorrow i intend to start working on a few Razor scooters one of my customers gave me.. see if i can pep it up some .. :twisted:

Ypedal said:
Ypedal - Happy you happy with no job. Can't buy happiness. Good luck with the geared hubs.

My mattress is 30 years old. Wife says get a new mattress. I am just getting used to the old one. We went to a bunch of mattress shops. I laid on 100s of mattresses. I am overwhelmed. They cost $1000 or more :shock: I can't tell what is a quality mattress? I could look at a electric bicycle hub motor and guess if it is a good one. Polished aluminum is good. Flaky paint is bad. I have no knowledge of what is a good mattress?

What mattress should I buy?

I went thru the same thing for the last few years, going to The Bay before they closed, and tried Sears, etc.. asked the sales people, read online, etc etc etc.... price range from 4000 + to 300$..

Bottom line, if you don't have any special medical requirements, there is no need to spend more than what costco has available for " better than cheap.. not quite matress-world gold lined.. bah. yeah..

I'll tell you in the morning.. :p

edit : I got a Sealy brand, Queen size, box spring and Matress, extra thick " topper " layer, fairly firm.. my old bed was an old p.o.s with a spaceship foam thing that was WAY soft and i suspect was causing me back pain by 4am..

we shall see.

edit 2 : price for the bed was 600$ canadian... and i had to help my neighbor swap the old wallmart crap tires on his bike with proper K-rad 2.3's " with downhill tubes.. was a bitch to do but rides so .. much better.. .. in exchange for using his truck and services to do the swap. :D

FWIW, my wife and I have slept on a Sleep Number mattress for several years. Because of my bad back, I prefer firmer support. She, on the other hand, likes a softer mattress that would cripple me in short order. Now we are both happy with one mattress, and I actually spend much fewer nights in the dog house (read-sofa downstairs), and the "I hate this bed" comments have ceased. :wink: :D :D

hihi, nice topics.

I sleep on a different mattress than my wife. I also have a different wooden bed base than my wife. Both of us have these springy wooden planks, but mine are setup much firmer than my wife's. Our mattresses are different in that she prefers a softer one, whereas mine is much more firm. The different combos of springy wooden bed base + mattress is winning for both of us. And we still sleep in the same bed under the same cover.... :wink:

I have never spent nights in the dog house, which explains us having 4 kids....

Well, it's morning.

I did not sleep very well at all.. :( ... this new mattress is firm.. like a whole lot more than my previously worn out bed with foam pad on top.

Going to need a different pillow, old one is too soft/thin, with a stiff mattress i need a thicker pillow..

Will have to give it a few more nights before i can judge it properly.. but so far .. ugh.

Usually the chemical stink of new mattresses gets me, almost as bad as new carpets.

We got the base model sleep number bed many years ago, and put a 3" raw high-density tempur-foam block from a reputable eBay seller (many tempur frauds selling low-density crap there) on top. My wife is 5' 100lbs, so I am more than double her mass, yet we both remain comfortable. Without the tempur pad the sleep number feels like sleeping on a balloon to me, but with the pad the variable pressure of sleep number works pretty well for me...

I think they charge way too much for the sleep number, pricing it like a regular mattress (which are also overpriced IMO) when it is mostly air not springs and materials. At least the sleep number can't fill up with dust mites like a regular mattress, and it doesn't break down and lose support like a conventional mattress. After more than a decade of use, it is just as firm as the day we first inflated it... although we did have to replace the tempur pad last year.

-JD

Typical mattress = con-game. No assurance the goods inside are as described (lotta fraud in the industry).

Sleep-number is safe bet. My preference is 100% latex foam (nat or synth), density determines firmness, hypoallergenic (anti-mites), 20yrs expected usable life.

I recommend to everyone to get a firm mattress. You can add a foam layer to it to adjust the softness (even on just one side), but you can't make it firmer. Also, easy and cheap to swap in a new mat, rather than the entire mattress.

A while back, the box spring was getting saggy, and I had recently had some financial adjustments to my life (so, couldn't afford a new one). Put plywood between the box spring and top mattress, and it was much better, also flipped the top mattress.

For my birthday my son got me a thin memory-foam mat. This particular one had several ribs running lengthwise on the bottom, and also had a pattern of holes over the whole thing. I read that this was supposed to increase air-circulation. The increased air-circulation was supposed to alleviate sweating on the half of you that touches the mattress while sleeping, and also keep your whole body cooler in the summer (on a warm night).

It works. I highly recommend it.

Well, it's been a few nights now, getting used to it, definitely notice my back feels better in the morning, and i'm not waking up at 4am on the dot anymore, still need to get a proper pillow and i may add a soft foam topper as well.. The chemical smell is finally out of it.. i think that's what kept me awake the first night.

Good times. 8)

Back