1957 Lambretta LD 150 EV conversion

Had to drill new holes for the bushing housing because the previous hole were too big. I wasn't comfortable welding together such big gap. The new holes are more snug, i'm good with that.
5.jpg
b4.jpg

Using the plate out of the hole, i made an insert. This insert should keep the housing from warping too much when welding to the arm.

b3.jpg
b2.jpg

Spot welded it to keep it in place.
b1.jpg

Not winning that International Welding Award but my best friend Angle Grinder will help make it pretty later.
6.jpg

More work on the swing arm. Should be able to tac weld it in place tomorrow.
s1.jpg

Painted the hub motor an off white color. Trying to figure out a way to distress it to match the front.

wheel.jpg

The front.
wheel2.jpg

Spot welded it together.

spot_welded.jpg

Here's a beauty shot!
272201298_10159716849292840_8669852926909770416_n.jpg

The tire is not going in.
Anybody have any tips or tricks? It's like wrestling a gorilla.
tire.jpg

Searched online and found the zip tie trick.
It wasn't a piece of cake but it went on 1000 times easier than the first attempt.

The first attempt messed up my paint job but that's okay, i was looking for a way to distress the paint anyway.

zip.jpg

kingkongshrimp said:
Searched online and found the zip tie trick.

I was about to suggest it. you only really need 3 zip ties and also some soap. Soap makes it even 10 times easier. :wink:

Not sure WD40 on a tire is a great idea. I hope you cleaned it really well after that.
Soap just washes out with water, next time try it, works really well. :wink:

Dui said:
Not sure WD40 on a tire is a great idea. I hope you cleaned it really well after that.
Soap just washes out with water, next time try it, works really well. :wink:

Ok, will use soap next time. Thanks!

Swing arm is finally done! Here is the passenger side.

3.jpg

Here's the driver side.

4.jpg

Here's the front of the swing arm. I'm not painting it. Will let it rust a little to match the rest of the scooter.
5.jpg

6.jpg

Now the scary part. My brother loan me this 40 years old ibm pc computer. Never used one of these things before. Have to learn how to use it and then learn how to hook everything up. Kinda scary.

7.jpg

Doing the identification angle function.

The diagram was very confusing to me. The fat red wire from the battery connects to (NC) not the port with a red circle.
NC.jpg

Here's what it should look like.

ID angle_test.jpg

Wow this is a cool build. Nice work and good job on the swingarm. Clearances could be tighter but some simple spacers should solve it and it isn't high power, looking good!

cheers
Tyler

Hooking up the contactor was very confusing. The wiring diagram was no help at all. It was low res and the picture doesn't match the contactor Kelly sold me. It doesn't help that i'm not experienced in electronic.

My friend Resistor from the Modern Vespa forum patiently helped me with it. Here's how it's supposed to be hooked up.
Hopefully this helps someone.

Kelly_Contactor_wiring copy.jpg

original diagram.png

tylerwatts said:
Wow this is a cool build. Nice work and good job on the swingarm. Clearances could be tighter but some simple spacers should solve it and it isn't high power, looking good!

cheers
Tyler

Hi Tyler, What clearance are you referring to?

kingkongshrimp said:
tylerwatts said:

cheers
Tyler

I only meant the axle fitting in the swingarm. But the pics might be misleading.

cheers
Tyler

tylerwatts said:
kingkongshrimp said:
tylerwatts said:

cheers
Tyler

I only meant the axle fitting in the swingarm. But the pics might be misleading.

cheers
Tyler

You mean this?
spacing.jpg

kingkongshrimp said:
I'm assuming this is not safe. Any recommendation? Maybe use a bunch of washers to fill the gap?
No, sorry. Around the motor axle. I see there's some black spacer there, is that part of the motor? And yes the brake torque arm could be supported with a tube over the bolt and vertical gusset below both welded to the swingarm.

Here's a crude scribble with my finger, hope it helps.

e1a869cdca5e622b465de6dbcf254d75.jpg

cheers
Tyler

tylerwatts said:
kingkongshrimp said:
I'm assuming this is not safe. Any recommendation? Maybe use a bunch of washers to fill the gap?
brake_stop.jpg
No, sorry. Around the motor axle. I see there's some black spacer there, is that part of the motor? And yes the brake torque arm could be supported with a tube over the bolt and vertical gusset below both welded to the swingarm.

Here's a crude scribble with my finger, hope it helps.

e1a869cdca5e622b465de6dbcf254d75.jpg

cheers
Tyler

Oh yeah, that black spacer is part of the motor. I think there's plenty of clearance there.
I also added a tube to support the brake torque arm. Thanks!
IMG_5843.jpg

Back