2020 IZIP Simi - Need help installing Cycle Analyst

Hankenstein

1 µW
I recently bought an E-Bike for my wife that uses torque sensing but she doesn't press the pedals hard enough to generate adequate assist. She likes the bike and doesn't want me to return it for a throttle-based model. (As a self-powered road biker, I find this Suntour HESC system smooth and natural, with plenty of power and battery life for cruising at 16-18 mph / 25-29 kph.)

I found a couple of threads on this forum discussing similar issues but not with my same setup:
Cycle Analyst: increasing proportional assist
IZIP E3 Ultra 2013 - Mod to increase top speed?

The above discussions pointed me to THE CYCLE ANALYST. I've done a some research and reached out to Grin Technologies who recommended the CA-SA bundle, a new 10-Volt PAS, and an aux input device.

I want to be as prepared as possible for this project because, once I start, I'll be on my own--goodbye warranty!

For starters, I have two questions before I place my order for the CA-SA:

1. Can I keep my torque sensor?
Grin sells a Miniature 5V PAS Regulator for "Running 3rd Party PAS Sensors with CA3".

2. How can I be sure the CA3 will interface to my controller for control, not just monitoring?
  • I'm confused about what role my current display plays, is it the throttle?
  • What kind of signal does it send to the controller? Serial? Analog?
  • So does the CA3 connect to the controller in place of my current display?

CA3 Layout.JPG
Suntour ATS Display.PNG
Controller-small.jpg

I'm very happy to have found this E-Bike community and greatly appreciate all comments, suggestions, and guidance!

Get the exact model of the torque sensor you have and make CERTAIN it is compatible with the CA. They are not all the same, by any means.

Last I checked the CA will work with SOME torque sensors but by no means all.

The fact that they are suggesting a new PAS sensor tends to indicate that the torque sensor you have now is going to be replaced with something else, which might work better for your needs, but will work differently as it is NOT a torque sensor, but merely a pedal RPM detecting device.

There is some overlap in terminology here, note a standard PAS is a simple $10-$20 sensor with an easy install while a torque sensor is usually well over $100 and a much more complicated install replacing part of your crank assembly. Not sure exactly what they are offering you.

The CA provides enhanced information and advanced throttle control. It does not replace your current display or anything else. It is essentially an intelligent throttle control.

If you find your current display even a little bit complicated, the CA may not be the best choice for your needs. The manual is around 30 pages.

Side note - the company which developed and sells it also pays all the bills for this place.

First of all I want to thank you for replying to my questions--this is an extremely busy board and it's easy to get lost in the traffic.

That's interesting that Grin pays the bills for this place. I thought there must be a connection because the CA documentation on their website links to this forum (how I found you) to a member named Teklektik.

Angry Bob, I've been reading and studying and watching the Grin videos on YouTube. I'm a controls engineer with 20+ years in the profession, but still learning new things everyday!

I'm going to hook my oscilloscope to the torque sensor. If I only want to amplify the signal then I might use an Arduino and C++.

It appears the Suntour has designed their own proprietary controller (it is potted with epoxy) that doesn't use a throttle input. So I'd be looking at new everything except the hub motor and the battery. Not worth it. My wife's legs will get stronger with practice :wink:

Best Regards,

Hank

Back