24 Pin connector, disassembly

Because I wasn't paying attention and didn't want to get off the bike I attempted to zip up the little compartment on top of my battery pack that keeps the male end of my 24 pin connector out of the weather. Since I have zipped up this little compartment countless times it amazed me, frightened me and irritated me when instead of closing the connector went ZAP, ARC and BLAT all at once. Then, I got off the bike. Evidence proves a bit of the zipper made contact with three of the pins and the ZAP, ARC & BLAT was the pins blowing, melting, destroying themselves. This is not a good thing, I can no longer charge my LiPo4's. There is no apparent damage to the batteries.

Needing a new male connector I went online and believe it or not, Falcon EV had one and it was already connected to a probably defunct 5 Amp charger. Good news I thought so I bought it, it arrived today and with great anticipation went to the garage to put the new male end on.

The good news is the connectors are a perfect match. The bad news is they are reversed. My batteries have the male end, the charger the female end. The one I got from Falcon EV has the batteries with the female end and the charger with the male (probably a better way)

I do not know how to take the female end apart so I can start the tedious rewiring process. Anybody know how?

Any assitance is appreciated.

Mike, Crystalyte 5304 with 48 Volt LiPo4's on an old steel beach bike with a gazillion miles

Attachments

• 24 pin.jpg
    24 pin.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 789
The back portion threads off but it's REVERSE THREAD !!!!!!

This is a female connector btw, but i'm pretty sure both sides are the same.

Trick is to pin down the blue inner end as the outer shell wants to freespin.. plug the connector into it's mate if you can ( might not be possible on the fried one.. ) and the back spins righty loosie vs the usual righty tighty..

Attachments

• pin.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 348
Good ol ypedal, the Canadian comes through again. I will try this first thing in the morning. It seems so simple now you've explained it. Then again I'm sure Einstein thought his theory was simple too.
Thanks again.
Mike

BTW, those connectors are standard Chinese military connectors.

You can buy them on ebay if you want some spares. This seller has a fair variety of them for sale for a reasonable price (well, reasonable when compared to the price you'd pay for a UK/US Mil Spec connector..........): http://stores.ebay.com/leemoom611/category1078181010-/_i.html?rt=nc&_fsub=1078181010&_sid=869081350&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1581&_pgn=3

Normal practice would be to have the battery as the socket and the bike as the plug, to avoid the nasty problem you've had, so the ones you've now got seems a better way to do the job..

Jeremy

Back