3 Speed Switch Removal

GIO Titan Premium has a twist throttle with 3 speed switch want a Potentiometer instead

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 6
Twist throttle as in the more ya twist it the faster ya go? 3 speed switch as in Slow when you want scooter to go slow when slow is how you should go? Medium as in a nice medium speed. And Fast as in GO FAST!

Is that how it works?
Throttle works fine . I want to throw the 3 speed in the garbage and just use (Install) a potentiometer

I want to throw the 3 speed in the garbage and just use (Install) a potentiometer
With the right values, you could rig a potentiometer to work as your three speed switch, if turning a knob is easier for you. Still three speeds, but turning a knob instead. You could alternatively use a three position rotary switch if that would help your situation. If you want to let off steam, then don’t just throw the switch in the garbage; set it on fire.

I think the question was unclear. My interpretation is that you want to replace the Hall sensor throttle with a pot throttle, but your Hall throttle contains a three speed switch.

The wires for the three speed switch are different than the ones for the throttle, through they might share a common ground wire and/or +5V wire. In any case, you can connect the three wires that matter for throttle function to any throttle you like-- Hall or pot type.

What are you trying to accomplish by swapping throttles?

Have you broken down what's in the three speed switch? I bet it selects three power levels for the controller. Just leave it in fast mode.
No scooters still works Gonna get rid of the switch put a Horn Button in that spot, and put a Potentiometer some where. If I can figure out how to hook it up

pic of potentiometer just a regular Potentiometer turns from slow to fast has 3 wires that coming off of it https://th.bing.com/th?id=OIP.4AUpU...=250&c=8&rs=1&qlt=90&o=6&dpr=1.1&pid=3.1&rm=2
The 3 speed switch uses 3 conductors; two signal wires and a ground. I would use something like a 10 kOhm pot. The ground wire would go to the middle terminal and the signal wires to the remaining terminals. That’s it. For your 3 speeds turn the knob all the way counterclockwise for low, midway for medium, and fully clockwise for high.

I think the question was unclear. My interpretation is that you want to replace the Hall sensor throttle with a pot throttle, but your Hall throttle contains a three speed switch.

The wires for the three speed switch are different than the ones for the throttle, through they might share a common ground wire and/or +5V wire. In any case, you can connect the three wires that matter for throttle function to any throttle you like-- Hall or pot type.

What are you trying to accomplish by swapping throttles?

The 3 speed switch uses 3 conductors; two signal wires and a ground. I would use something like a 10 kOhm pot. The ground wire would go to the middle terminal and the signal wires to the remaining terminals. That’s it. For your 3 speeds turn the knob all the way counterclockwise for low, midway for medium, and fully clockwise for high.

I believe your mobility scooter controller has a throttle with hall sensors, so you can't use a potentiometer. Simply disconnect the controller's "3-speed" plug to remove the 3-speed setting. However, I recommend keeping the 3-speed because you can choose between: speed 1 for riding in stores/parks, speed 2 for extra distance, and speed 3 for hill climbing/off-road, or top speed.

Last edited:
I believe your mobility scooter controller has a throttle with hall sensors, so you can't use a potentiometer.

Not true. A pot throttle substitutes just fine for a Hall throttle, and vice versa. It's not clear why the OP wants it, but it's a straight swap.

Edit: In my personal experience, the swap works just fine. I got a PM from someone who thought I was mistaken, but I have done it in both directions a few times without issues. There might be cases in which it doesn't work right, but not for me so far. So YMMV.

Last edited:
Not true. A pot throttle substitutes just fine for a Hall throttle, and vice versa. It's not clear why the OP wants it, but it's a straight swap.

Edit: In my personal experience, the swap works just fine. I got a PM from someone who thought I was mistaken, but I have done it in both directions a few times without issues. There might be cases in which it doesn't work right, but not for me so far. So YMMV.
Thank You

Thanks for the correction. I did have an incident where I attempted to utilized a pot on a hall sensor controller, but the speeds were really low so I always assumed they were incompatible.

Back