40Ah Battery Options

kudos

10 kW
Hi,

It will be time for a new battery soon.

I’ve been running Multistar 16000mah in 12S2P for a 32Ah 50.4V HOC battery in an EEB frame with a Mac 8T 40A controller since 2016 and to be honest they are still going strong 5k miles later.
Although I do notice when it turns cold it really affects the performance.

I tend to charge to about 4.15V a cell and LVC is set at 3.6 but I rarely hit it.

I was charging with an iCharger 3010B at 30A for the first couple of years but that involved splitting the pack in two every time I wanted to charge.

So I switched to bulk charging with a 50.4V Lipo charger and the setup as been rock solid for years now.

I checked the balance on the two paralleled 6S packs today and all within .02V despite not having balanced for many months.

I would like a 40Ah battery.

The easiest solution would be to just purchase more Lipo.
Hobby King Turnigy High Capacity Lipo 20,000mAh is available at £165.41 each.
Total cost would be approx £700 with postage costs and additional lithium transfer fees.

This would be plug and play because I’m already setup for this.

I am interested in going 18650/21700 but I’ve never built a battery with these cells before.

I could purchase a battery from EM3ev, their triangle battery at 20.4AH 58.8V HOC combined with a 5A charger comes in at £515.86 plus £50 postage come in at approx £565. However, the capacity just isn’t enough.

So I could build my own battery.

I’ve been looking at the Samsung 50E 21700 due to the 5Ah capacity.

I calculate that a standard rectangular battery using cell brackets at 12S8P for a 40Ah battery should fit no problem in the same area pretty much as the Lipo would.

They are rated at 10A max discharge but at 8P peaking at 40A they should only hit half their rated max.

It would cost me around £330 including postage and fees for 96 cells.

However I would also need cell brackets, nickel strips, cables, BMS, spot welder , charger, kapton tape, foam, heat shrink etc etc

This would still come in substantially cheaper than any other option, combined with a curiosity to build a battery it’s sorely tempting.

I humbly request any thoughts on these options, am I missing anything ?

Thanks.

ive been looking at the 21700 cells and cell holders heres two links

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=106105

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=106084#p1553444

Back