48v ~25ah high quality battery - does it exist?

Or if you use EV cells that are built well enough to not need manual matching up (because their tolerances are that tight, or QC that good), like the ancient EIG cells I use (unfortunatley no longer made, for at least a decade or more)... I don't use a BMS, no balancing, no wworrying, etc...I just plug in my trike to the wall, and the Meanwell HLG-600H-54A charges the pack, and I come back and unplug it later, and ride in the morning to work and back in the evening, usually recharging every few days. They *are* aging, sag more, less capacity, but still balanced. :)

The stuff Dogdipstick is using seem to be of similar quality from his results.

To tell you the truth, i've never seen car cells ( except 21700s ) installed on any kind of bicycle, ever.

I think they would be cool on something like a cargo bike where you have more mounting space than you know what to do with.

To tell you the truth, i've never seen car cells ( except 21700s ) installed on any kind of bicycle, ever.

You should poke around more of the forum more often. ;)

If I had time (or rather, could stay awake long enough at once) I'd dig up the various posts around here with A123 pouch cell packs (starting from way back); I even used an EM3EV pack built from them on CrazyBike2
1711685073956.png 1711685104965.png

after the housefire a decade ago; I bought that used from another member here that had used it on their bike. EDIT: found it, Rollodo's paratrooper:

There's more than a few members that used them on their bikes over the years.

Then there's Liveforphysics, who used the EIG cells on some variant of Deathbike (if not the actual one); not really sure that qualifies as a bicycle, but....as weird as mine are, they are bicycles (even the trikes), and I've used the EIG cells on them for more than a decade. (since before the fire).

Chalo has been using Leaf cells on his bike(s) for a while now (several years?).

I can't remember whose Yuba Mundo it was, but at least one has a battery in the cargo side extensions that I thought was used EV cells?

Anyway, there's more than a few. :)

Last edited:
I took a misliking to pouch cels a number of years ago, they always had seemed fragile but we had a near miss while working with some external solar fired lights that we were putting in for a neighbor.

One of the old gang from LA was up and visiting, BJ is the nicest guy you will ever meet, My biz partner about pissed himself when BJ walked up and said "whats with your gay assed batteries" I know BJ, there ain't no heat in what he is saying... also, he is gay. I just let it roll off my back. My partner did not know any of these things. a nicer guy woulda told him...

In any case we had the plastic cases off and were re-potting the edges because neither of us like the look of the original Schmoo in there.

The pouch cels were all bare on the tail end... which had puffed up and well, lets just say that BJ fair well nailed it.

We were in the process of cutting them out when one started to hiss at us, it went for a dive in the sand next to the pond, which was not enough to keep it from continuing to hiss, then spew some smoke and kind of sputter out (it was a wee baby of a cel. BJ looked at it, then gave me a dirty look "If you are gonna light things on fire, make em explode next time...."

I avoid the uh, cels that make disappointing fires and have... uhm.. distended bottoms...

I warned ya'all I had a garbage pit of useless data for a mind.

I think they would be cool on something like a cargo bike where you have more mounting space than you know what to do with.

Umm...35,127 miles, as of today.

I can't remember whose Yuba Mundo it was, but at least one has a battery in the cargo side extensions that I thought was used EV cells?
I had a 24ah split pack of ping LiFePo on each of the running boards, but it lost enough pouches to be useless and I replaced it with a 20ah ncm pack in the cargo box. The balance was soo much better with the cells down low

Nice build, dude.

So OK, you guys got a few examples of car batteries on bikes being a thing, the only thing resembling a normal bike is the paratrooper and we've got a relatively small pack in a rear bag ( the worst place to put that weight ) with a cell you can no longer buy new anymore and also hasn't improved in two decades.

I think the takeaway is that nothing but Tesla 21700 cells reconfigured into a smaller pack in car battery land would be suitable for a regular-ass MTB.

Anyway, i bought a regular-ass battery instead for now. I may revisit this idea for my maxarya because it has fairly wide cranks and some room for a honker of a battery.

1711739222595.png

Having 2.5kwhrs of 5.8ah 21700 would be really neat and give me nice ballast against wheelies.

Uhm, Not off the top, but literally in the past few weeks I have seen at least 3 conversations about car cels in use in bikes.
^^^^^^^^^^ I don't have an example and my luck level with the search system here is pathetic
Not Tesla cels either.

Matter of fact, .. I think AmberWolf is one of the folks discussing it.

Carry on...

Back