48v on bafang motor over long distance, any problems?

dazzassj6

100 W
hey guys i wanan overvolt my 250w bafang to 48v. im going to use a 48v controller, however i dont know what amp i should use for it. Can anyone help me?

first off, i know that @ 60v 20amp over a long distance (15-20km) would heat up the motor significantly and fry it if you push it further going up the hills and stuff.

But what about 48v @ 15amp or 48v @ 20amp? would it heat the motor up significantly? or would i be likely to fry it if i go like 30km on WOT up and down hills?

Has anyone tried using 48v on the bafang SWXB and had successful over a long time without having any issues like heat dissipation and gear stripping(unlikely @ 48v)?

thanks in advance!

I've been using 48 volts on my rebuilt Bafang rear motor to carry me and the trike @300 or so pounds for about 2 months now. I replaced the "peanut buttered" original nylon gears with 1 steel and 2 nylon and have had no problems with the motor. We average about 50 miles per week riding, and I still need to attach my Whattmeter to check current draw, but it used to be between 25-30 wh/hrs/mile with only the nylon gears. They lasted only 200 miles or so. all our riding is fairly smooth roads and city streets.
otherDoc

Hi

I have run the bafang 30 km several times at 48v (ping ~55v), with a 14 amp controller.
No problems sofar. Total load 135 kg. And the nylon gears are still holding up.

The higher the amps, the more wattage, and the more heat, especially when run non stop for a long distance. So I'd go real low on amps if the distance was real long. I have no Idea what the right number would be though. 48v at 10 amps is still a pretty healthy wattage, 960. I took a 24v heinzmann used to a 24v 12 amp controller, and ran it on a 36v 35 amp controller,,.,,, for a half hour. :cry:

hm i have decided to stuff this idea of running 48v on a bafang, it would only give me around 30-35km/h. Which is not worth it. So i got myself a 48v 500w Golden motor because it would be me around 40-45km/h. If i am wrong please correct me on that speed.

If the Golden motor is a direct drive, then you should get over 40 km/h no problem with 48 volts.

Is your Cyclone motor not moving you fast enough?

recumbent said:
If the Golden motor is a direct drive, then you should get over 40 km/h no problem with 48 volts.

Is your Cyclone motor not moving you fast enough?

my cyclone kit is collecting dust for 1 year now, so is that dodgy battery with no BMS. I cant really sell it, because i cant get the pedals and axle off, but dont worry about that. I dont want to know it.

Yeh before i had, a bafang @ 60v, got about 44km/h on flat, but had too many issues with it, like overheat and burnt motor and fried batteries etc.

thanks for the advice guys.

Will make another thread when i install the GM kit and when i get the new 48v10ah ping battery. cant wait!

Back