5v on all hall sensor wires

jonnybee_123

100 mW
I.have 5v from the controller going to.the motor on red-black (actually reading closer to 4) is.that ok ?
Yellow -black =5v
Green -black =5v
Blue-black 5v
I.thought these cables were for the return signal
Is this right ?
Motor wont spin
Tried all phase combinations

It sounds like possibly the ground wire is broken somewhere. 4.3v is pretty common.
Try to trace the cable and double check any connections.

are you testing the hall connector without it being connected to the motor?
if so I believe youre supposed to have 5v coming out the b/g/y signal wires, the hall in the motor switches to ground.

correct me if im wrong

Yes I have 5v coming out of the controller not connected
So have I got this right the red positive is there to power the hall sensor. once the sensor operates its let the 5v through and back on the neg?
And I guess the controller detects this through resistances or some other magic lol
I've got some electrical knowledge as im a electrician but electronics is completely new to me would.like.to.learn alot more

goatman said:
are you testing the hall connector without it being connected to the motor?
if so I believe youre supposed to have 5v coming out the b/g/y signal wires, the hall in the motor switches to ground.

correct me if im wrong

Can you help with a link to replacment hall sensors or the type that's used
Also what are the 2 resistors for all the pics I have seen have 1..this is a bmc motor but I was told there the same as macs
Cheers

Attachments

• 20200601_121046_compress52.jpg
    20200601_121046_compress52.jpg
    346.5 KB · Views: 836
  • 20200601_121058_compress84.jpg
    20200601_121058_compress84.jpg
    367.9 KB · Views: 836
A typical motor hall sensor is a SS41. These are available from many sources such as Mouser or DigiKey (in the US).

Each hall sensor has +5v and ground for power. The little hall circuit board sends the 5v and ground to each sensor. The signal output will be near zero or near 5v depending on the magnetic field. As the motor spins, this signal will alternate between the high and low states. The sensor output is "pulled up" by resistors inside the controller and when the magnet is sensed, the output gets pulled down to ground.

The two little yellow things on the board are capacitors that go across the 5v and ground to filter out noise.

heres how to troubleshoot
https://www.ebikes.ca/learn/troubleshooting.html

they sell hall sensors

https://www.ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-parts/motor-hardware/hallsensor.html

Hall sensors fixed motor runs but it seems to be a knock coming from it when spinning sounds like a bearing has gone ? Anyone know if this happens often it hasn't done a lot of miles

Could be from a small piece of debris stuck to a magnet that's rubbing. I've also had that problem when the spoke tension was uneven, causing the hub to get out of round. Bearings can fail but it's not common.

Back