60MPH 11kW Qulbix Raptor

snellemin, I have a couple questions I was hoping you could answer.

Why did you get such a big rotor?

Do you think the motorcycle seat is the correct size, specifically how far back it goes? Do you think it should extend any further back?

Offroader, for my length the moto seat is perfect. All my taller friends did not complain about the seat length either. Do you feel it needs to extend a bit further?

I choose a larger rotor to dissipate heat faster from high speed stops. I just have to find out if they will work for me or not. 203mm is plenty for me when riding on the mtb trails. I'm going to swap over my older Michelin pilot sports tires along with the new big Hayes rotors.

I swapped over to my old Michelin's tires that was on my EVG bike. Big difference in how much better they ride vs the Crazy Bob's. Less rolling resistance, hang lower in corners, I can power out of corners without fear and a little wider contact patch on the rear tire. The rear is 66 mm at its widest and 42 psi inflated. It's a bit lower pressure compared to the Crazy Bob's. I've decided to keep the Raptor on the streets for a while and just run my mid drive on the trails.

Got me some Tektro E-sub brakes. The calipers look well made, but these have small brake pads. The brake levers look like quality stuff. Maybe swap over to TRP 4 piston calipers with the brake levers. For now they'll sit in the "to do" box.

I'm pretty good at setting up brakes, but for the life of me, couldn't stop the brake brake squeal on the rear. I got tired of fighting with and just bought me this Hayes tool. After 2 minutes with this tool, I had quiet brakes again.

I didn't know they sold that. I discovered a youtube video where the guy cut aluminum soda can to do the same thing. I couldn't get my brakes to stop rubbing until I cut my own and they came perfect.

I would have bought this tool if I would have known it existed. Actually I may buy it.

This is from my ride into work. I'm not missing the 21s lipo setup at all. 18s still has plenty of speed and acceleration.

I installed my old 300lbs Titanium spring. Bike rides lower and can lean a bit lower in turns. Nice and comfy on the road and the Michelin's roll smoother vs the Crazy Bob's.

Vid of me climbing some steps after Critical Mass.

[youtube]OgKpPlz028M[/youtube]

snellemin, nice little video the raptor is like laughing at the stairs as if they were pebbles. Those aren't full size stairs they look like half size or is it just the video. What rims are you using and I remember you are using 14g spokes front and back. You haven't bent any rims or have had many flats?

The front spokes are 14 gauge, the rear are 12 gauge. You, I really don't remember what kind of steps those stairs had. Next Critical Mass I'll try to take a better video. The bike doesn't even sweat those steps at all. I only bent the rear rim once and hammered it back some. I have no idea where that happened and got a pinch flat.

Nice vid snellmin. You make me miss Critical Mass. Not that my home made klunker could do the stair thing. I wish I was a better bike mechanic. BTW. Zombiess is out of DMN forks but will get in touch with Zelena Vozila to see about getting more. I like the idea of dual front discs.

Make it out to the next CM 100V. I had my wife and two other friends join me at the last CM and they loved it. The ride was around 18.1 miles.

Finally got to install the monster Hayes 9.5" brake rotor. Waiting on new calipers to complete the brakes. I used the brake adapter used for the 9" rotor by Hayes and I added 12.5 mm spacers to make it work.

I had my wife and two other friends join me at the last CM and they loved it.

When the unwashed experience CM it's like a colorful new social adventure.

It is a fun event. I get to see many sides of Houston at a slower pace and get the ride where I would never dare during the day.

Well did the new 9.5 rotor make a big difference? Before you change the breaks you can see how much difference the bigger rotor made. Do tell! lol

Fantastic thread, great read and informative. Just curious if you made a buy vs make decision on this build. Given the path you have taken and the resources expended, what are the key tradeoffs? For example, hard dollar layout, fun vs PIA, etc.

Thanks

ecruz said:
Well did the new 9.5 rotor make a big difference? Before you change the breaks you can see how much difference the bigger rotor made. Do tell! lol

I'll ride the bike to work today and see if rotor behaves different vs my first big one and the 203mm I just had. I don't expect much, other than cooler brakes and a bit shorter of a stopping distance. The brake pad is still the same size after all.

I'm just surprised that you went with such a large rotor. I heat my rotors up all the time as I love to squeeze those brakes and lock up the tire. Even with all the heat I never noticed any ill effects.

I'm running 4 piston brakes which have a lot of grabbing power so I don't think anything is going to make them weak.

I think those ice tech rotors help a lot with the heat and run cooler.

The rear brakes seem to wear faster and heat up a lot more also, which makes sense since it has to deal with the hub motor.

Ok, this rotor shortened my braking distance by alot. Way more than I thought it would. I could smell the brake pads after a hard stop. It can only get better with a larger brakepad surface.

Back