9C front vs Bionx P-250.

Dragged race, Bionx lost 9C wins by a big margin obviously!

Finally built up a second e-bike to complement my Bionx Dahon bike for things like shopping, hop on it and just ride without changing into those Lycra bike suit type and for heading down to the beach! And I want something affordable, expandable and attract the least attention for which Bionx isn't doing a good job so far. So here's my review of the 9C vs Bionx -- both ride very differently indeed!

When my attempts failed in trying to sell my spare hybrid touring bike as I don't do long tours anymore, I decided why not make this my 2nd ebike! It's got a long chainstay (46cm as opposed to 44 to or even 42 on some other bikes) and it also have a strong cromoly fork, both of which are now paying great dividends. The bike was designed to haul stuff with a thicker than usual top tube (to prevent the effect of fish tailing when you have too much weight at the rear), I mean I've hauled 50-60lbs of camping gear. The more weight I put on, the more stable the bike becomes. Ebike components are heavy and bike handling is usually compromised because bikes that are not designed to haul heavy stuff usually suffer badly. Not my Devinci. I rode it today at full throttle and OMG, it rocks! Fast, stable and superb handling -- couldn't ask anything more.

The front kit all came from ebike.ca and Justin was very nice to explain to me what the differences between the 9C, eZee and Crystallite system. By far, eZee sells the most because people look for the freewheel hub. The 9C is DD. I was debating between the eZee and 9C, but the inclusion of the Cycle Analyst won me over to the 9C. I'm so used to the Bionx control panel, I need info to gauge my bike and battery performance and so far, I'm impressed with my CA.

How did the 9C front performed. It performed very well. Fast with lots of torque! When it spins however, it emits a notable faint turbine noise. Unlike the Bionx P-250 (250W), the 9C gets up to 18mph no sweat finally tapering to about 23.5mph or so on the flat. It goes up the hill unassisted pretty well, so my quest for a grocery hauling ebike comes true! Woo hoo!

Now everyone wants to know the rolling resistance when moving forward without assist. There is some, but surprisingly not very much, at least a lot less than the Bionx system. It really rolls quite well, though it still emits a turbine noise even without using the throttle, so you can be fooled sometime that you think you're applying power to make the bike move. The feeling of this drag is the same as the Schmidt Dyno hub that a lot of randoneurs use on their 100 mile to 200 mile rides. Certainly it ain't no eZee.

However, I have 2 concerns. Wheel build on the front 9C is passable at best. The rim is of extremely poor quality with the joint seam to be slightly off. This gives a horrific pulsing feeling as you apply your front brakes, so bad that I'm going to evaluate the safety and may bring it back to ebike for either a return or exchange. The spokes are loose and gives a noticeable pinging noise as you accelerate or decelerate.
Build quality is worse than what you can buy from a machine build wheel from say Performance Bikes. Secondly is with the battery and charger. The 36v Ni-cad after about 14 hrs of charging is still showing the blinking red light. I even rode it today and consumed 4ah before the battery starts dying on me. It is rated 8ah and now 6 hrs later on the charger, it is still blinking red (not green). Very odd. I'm going to again evaluate this for a few days and if it doesn't improve, I will bring it back to ebike.
Compared the quality of this to the Bionx however, there is simply no comparison. Wheel, battery and charger worked the first day.

The difference between a Bionx bike and the 9C is that, the 9C is more difficult to sync pedal wise with the motor. The motor is so fast and torquey that most times, I just decided to use the throttle instead and do the pulse and glide and pedal a bit. Whereas with the Bionx bike, the strain gauge entice you to pedal and match pedal rhythm seamlessly . So there you have it, the 9C doesn't replace the Bionx nor the Bionx replaces the 9C. They are both unique..

Cheers..

DE.

DahonElectric said:
Compared the quality of this to the Bionx however, there is simply no comparison. Wheel, battery and charger worked the first day.
Sorry for the confusion: Do you mean the 9C worked the first day and is the better with regard to quality? Or vice-versa?

Not a problem to clarify.

Both the 9C and my Bionx worked the first day. The only issues I have with the 9C at the moment is with the wheel build and rim quality -- both are considered sub-par even to normal bicycle build standards for the 9C system only especially during braking (heavy front shuddering vibration with the feeling that the wheel is coming apart! even with a torque arm installed) and the battery charger and battery itself (close to 10hrs of charging is still has the blinking red light -- should be green by now). I'll find out tomorrow to see if the CA reports the battery topped up with a higher voltage. Other than that, the whole system works really well and easy to put together even without any instructions to boot. I'm not worried about not getting great service from ebike as they are all great people.

Anyone here has experience with the 36V Ni-Cad battery and the elegance plastic charger (1.8A version) and whether it will turn green once the charge is finished?

Thanks!

Ahh, I finally figured out why my Ni-cad charger didn't charge my 36V battery properly. As it turned out, ebike.ca gave me the 24V 1.8A charger instead of the 36V version. I assumed they gave me the right charger, so I didn't check. Oh well, I'm going back to see Justin to have this exchanged.

Hmmm, fascinating because even with a 24V charger, I was getting good performance with this battery and the 9C. Perhaps, I will get even better performance with a proper 36v charger!

Good thing you didn't get the 48v charger, you'da known you had a problem sooner! :shock: The nicads do take a bit of time to charge though, and may have to cool off before you can start too. Still, the nicads are great for rides that can be done in 8 ah, and no bms worries.

Too bad you got a bad rim. They all tend to be cheap, but some have a bad seam and some don't. The wheel can be tuned to reduce the "talking" and will settle down after about 100 miles. I find my motor rims need little attention after the first 100 miles, once I get them dialed in.

These Ni-Cads fit the bill so far (trying to keep within the build budget) and are doing a splendid job. 8ah pack in my area seemed to yield decent mileage, though they are heavy. When I was at the ebike.ca shop, a fellow there showed me their sample LIFEPO4 36v 8ah packs and they are much lighter! Sadly, they are still testing them -- seemed to be some issues with BMS. I see you have a PING battery -- how is it?

9C rim is to be expected, though I didn't expect it to be a bit worse (poor lacing and bent spokes). Obviously no thought of QA which is typical with Chinese companies, but if people are worried about rim quality, then the next choice would be the eZee kit, which is of higher standard. I'll probably end up re-lacing the hub with my own Mavic T220 touring rim that I have here -- that I trust. Other than that,
first ride with a fully charged battery is so fun!! With some brisk pedaling, I went over 40km/h briefly before CA cuts the power cause I programmed it to stop at 40km/h. The bike is impressively stable with all that weight, better than my Dahon Bionx system. Go figure. :shock:

DE.

I have the same NiCd from ebikes.ca and a rear 9C.
Some tips:
The NiCd batteries improve gradually over the first dozen or so cycles.
(Inner resistance goes down). Use gently in the beginning.

The 9C rim is not best quality, but it has held up well for me despite hauling heavy loads.
I had to tighten the spokes 2 times before the wheel finally settled. None of my spoke
wrenches fit, so had to use a small spanner.

Jag,

These are great tips!! Thank you for chipping them in..

DE.

what spoke wrench do you use jason ?
i have bought 3 so far with no luck 3.2 3.3 3.5mm

E-BikeKit.com said:
We'll look into the rim quality as it hasn't been brought to our attention until now. It's easy enough to get better rims but it's obviously something that will effect pricing.
Unless there have been many reports of the rim actually failing under normal use I would not be too concerned. The 9C motor (and kit) is good value the way it is and decent quality at a low price might be the best formula for it's success. So it might make most sense to see what improvements can be done within roughly the current pricing. The 9C factory seemed to not be very responsive to suggestions in the beginning, but now as export sales increase maybe they will listen more.

Possible items on wishlist:

Slightly wider rim for 26" wheels (at least on rear motors).

The spoke ends/nipples are at a rather steep angle in the rim when cross-lacing. Mine didn't break, but I was concerned. Any solution? Angled hoes in rim? Better or worse with eyelets in rim?

An asymmetric rear motor to properly fit a 7-9 gear cluster. Would just designing a flatter motor cover on the freewheel side work?

i use the 13G slot on a spoke wrench from harbor freight that duane gave me. one of the round kind with square notches cut around the perimeter for different size spokes. none of my fancy spoke wrenches would fit. i noticed a little outa round at the joint too, but not that severe in my case. maybe 1/10 mm.

if yours has a face projecting at the joint, maybe you can file it smooth and retorque the spokes to reduce the pulse intensity. i really torqued my spokes on the last turn and i can see the paint crack on the inside of the rim and i think that was too tight, but got my rim within 1/4 mm of true and round so i can live with that myself.

i also have a rear 9 continents i got from jason at e-bikekit, which i have taken the rim off to use on a front 9 continents motor that had a damaged rim, and i am gonna mount it in a mavic F519. but would i like to put it in a sun rhynolyte i have on another motor.

Some people will want a turn-key kit with a nicely trued wheel to just mount on a bike.
Others on this list start by relacing the wheel in their favorite pattern, change the rim, upgrade the cable gauge and whatnot. For these people the pre-delivery tuning is a waste of work.

Maybe offering the basic kit, and then a pre-delivery tuning/trueing as a small upgrade will make the extra value you put into the kits more clear, while keeping an option to buy the basic "as delivered from china" option for those who will rebuild it anyway.

Does 9C offer the standalone hub and then let the kit provider build it up with rims suited to the weight and usage of the client like what PeterWhiteCyles (peterwhitecycles.com) do? Then you can offer several price ranges to suit different needs.

I agree with Jason in the notion that when you provide and sell a product in North America, there is a certain expectation we have of what that product quality should be. I just didn't expect the 9C rim to be a lot lower in quality and workmanship for the price I paid for. I mean these days, you can get either a Sun Rhynolite (26") or a Mavic A719 (700c), re-spoke it to the hub and still sell it for less price than an eZee kit. Offer that as a deluxe option. Some of you are handy with bike tools, but to allow mass market adoption, not everyone knows how to true a wheel or even build one! However, they sure do know what a good wheel feels like. A well built wheel should have spokes outlasting the rim. The rim should have worn down by the brake pads to a point that it no longer support the rigidity of the wheel, with the exception of disc wheels. A well built wheel should be able to support the weight of the rider and usually if you weight around 150lbs or so, light weight wheels or so so built wheels are ok. If you're 150lbs or less and reasonable fit, that isn't usually a person riding an ebike anyhow, though I'm the exception here. Chances are, the majority of riders buying the 9C wheel kit are people who are less fit or are a bit more than 150lbs. Perhaps 150lbs+ and although the front wheel doesn't see a lot of that weight, it's still weight.

There's also an issue with normal bike shops refusing to build a wheel with an electric hub, citing legality and liability issues with spoke breakage with powerful motors, so if it comes out of a box ready to ride with a nice rim, tight spokes and perhaps just a slight re-tuning after 100hrs of riding, then I'm sure some people are willing to pay extra for that peace of mind.

DE.

Maybe it is more quality control with the rims and wheel adjustment. I have yet to see where the seam is on my rim and I have read so much about loose spokes that I have double checked mine even after 1000 miles of driving ajusting only one a quarter turn. I run 48v (52v + LiFePO4) but the extra strain does not appear to affect the adjustment. I do agree with a wider rim and tire as the tire can bury itself in sand pretty quickly. For spoke tightening I bought the Canadian Tire special round - pick your width and it does appear to allow spoke adjustment without burring. The spacers to match the front forks are also available at CT (had to get my acronym in there) and the only thing that I can say is that I have the 9C mounted on full suspension forks.

Well, I finally could not tolerate the spokes singing the way they are. While I do have a truing stand and some knowledge on wheels, I decided to give ebike.ca a call to see what the warranty is with the wheel. Called in and spoke to a nice lady. Initially, she gave the standard reply -- bring it to the bike store and have them true and tighten them. I asked if it that is covered under warranty and they are willing to reimburse the cost -- dead silence. I asked if I can bring in the wheel and have them tighten them -- another dead silence. Finally, she conceded that Justin had the final say on this and that I should bring the wheel in for inspection and perhaps repair? From the tone of her voice, it seemed like you bought a wheel kit from us then perhaps you're on your own now loose and imperfect or not.

Anyhow, I do have the tools to get the wheel fixed so I spent an hour truing and getting the spoke tension just right. Took me about 45mins to do it and most of the delay was simply because no common spoke wrench I have would fit and I have to rig up something. The spokes were really loose -- the nipples had to be turned twice and a half turn and then a quarter turn for the final touch! That's way too loose I think! Tried riding it today with the fixed wheel and no more singing. It's also very solid now, but I think it may need another quarter turn. I'll wait and see how it turns out. I supposed I got a bad rim. I'm used to quality rims like the Mavic A719/A319 and the Open Pros and this is not even close -- sorry, but I do understand that it's a necessity for hitting a price point and for those who are thinking of getting the 9C should adjust your rim expectation down a bit. I have a bridge here which I cam Rim Break Bridge where I test rims for their ability to withstand harsh impacts. I have broken rims, ripped out spoke nipples and the likes. I think after the fix, it should withstand the abuse. Other than that, I'm just going to be running with this rim for the moment and wear it out or destroy it, then lace it with a Mavic A319 with quality DT spokes and more standardized nipples..

Because of the 9C wheel fixing effort, I was back with my Dahon Bionx bike. Quality wheels - no comparison and smooth braking plus I finally get to pedal the bike again rather than pulsing and gliding with the 9C, though it's fun not to get sweaty especially with our summer temperature..

DE.

So far, the 9C system is doing good so far even in this scorching hot weather of ours in Vancouver. The Nicad battery does get really hot when not in use after fully charged. I was warned about the chemistry, but never felt it so hot compared to my Bionx NiMH battery when fully charged. After riding close to 500km later, the motor is starting to occasionally emit a growling sound, so I'm not sure if it is the heat that's causing it or the motor had already broken it?!? Other than that, it is performing as expected with the occasional singing of the spokes, so I'll need to re-tighten them again soon.

DE.

DahonElectric said:
So far, the 9C system is doing good so far even in this scorching hot weather of ours in Vancouver. The Nicad battery does get really hot when not in use after fully charged. I was warned about the chemistry, but never felt it so hot compared to my Bionx NiMH battery when fully charged.

Not sure if I got it right, but do you say that your NiCd pack gets hot just after full charge? This may indicate that the charger doesn't shut off at the correct point. The charging reaction is endothermic in NiCd, that is during energy absorbtion the batteries actually may get a bit colder. At the point when they are fully charged, the energy absorbtion stops, and the charge power (say 2A*36V=72W) is instead crating heat, and worst case depleting the electrolyte in the cells. (NiCd have mechanisms to recover some of this, but 3.5A RC chargers we have in the lab have cooked the Elegance 8Ah NiCd cells ebikes.ca are selling.) I now use ebikes.ca Elegance 36V 2A charger, and have no problems with that charger.

When discharging on the other hand the NiCd reaction is exothermic, and at sustained 20-25A load my packs get warm to the touch. (Maybe 30C, 10C above ambient)

DahonElectric said:
After riding close to 500km later, the motor is starting to occasionally emit a growling sound, so I'm not sure if it is the heat that's causing it or the motor had already broken it?!? Other than that, it is performing as expected with the occasional singing of the spokes, so I'll need to re-tighten them again soon.
DE.

Mine does growling sounds when applying full power at low speed (blirping the throttle). A more gentle throttle application avoids it. When up to speed there is no grwoling when running at full power.

Hi Jag,

Thanks for the comments made. Weather cooler now, so no problem with battery.

DE.

I ordered from ebikes.ca also and yeah, they rock. ONly thing I'll say about them is that there delivery time could be improved but boy, they package everything really well.

Back