Adaptto Mini-E/Max-E Owner's Thread

I am having a problem here with something I can't place. The controller's screen goes suddenly dead and I can only bring it to life by disconnecting the battery and connecting it again. It could be the controller or battery bms? Motortemp sensor is not working, I disabled that option in the menu. Maybe someone can help..

My configuration is:
- Mini-E firmware rc9f with pas option
- stock H4080
- Ping Battery 36v/20ah

It happens only when I do it a max. settings in the boost profile. batterycurrent is set to 47.1 and 158 phase current. If I down-twitch the batterycurrent it happen anymore, but I want some action ofcourse...so that's not an option :eek:
Anyway, when I put some load on the system (throttle 80-100 percent), and there is resistance ~ either a steep hill or I had too much pints.

I've made a video to make it a bit more clear which is still uploading..... aaaand now it's here! Quality is really bad in the beginning though, sorry.
[youtube]https://youtu.be/WRu4AbZAidw[/youtube]

https://youtu.be/WRu4AbZAidw

Boestin said:
I am having a problem here with something I can't place. The controller's screen goes suddenly dead and I can only bring it to life by disconnecting the battery and connecting it again. It could be the controller or battery bms? Motortemp sensor is not working, I disabled that option in the menu. Maybe someone can help..

My configuration is:
- Mini-E firmware rc9f with pas option
- stock H4080
- Ping Battery 36v/20ah

It happens only when I do it a max. settings in the boost profile. batterycurrent is set to 47.1 and 158 phase current. If I down-twitch the batterycurrent it happen anymore, but I want some action ofcourse...so that's not an option :eek:
Anyway, when I put some load on the system (throttle 80-100 percent), and there is resistance ~ either a steep hill or I had too much pints.

I've made a video to make it a bit more clear which is still uploading..... aaaand now it's here! Quality is really bad in the beginning though, sorry.
[youtube]https://youtu.be/WRu4AbZAidw[/youtube]

https://youtu.be/WRu4AbZAidw

Is your LVC set correctly and not too low? in the BMS settings?. in normal case it would only display "LOWBATT" but maybe in your case it cut the total power?

maybe it is your Battery BMS that cut ..? do you have one in addition of the one of the Adaptto?

Doc

Hi Doc,

Wow, that's quick help :lol:

Actually next week there is another pack coming, 72v/20ah samsung 25r cells, at the moment I am not using the bms provided by Adaptto and I haven't configured it.

I think it's the BMS of the battery, why? Well the funny thing just happened a moment ago. When the screen went dead, I was blurry and connected the charger to the battery and whoops! it was alive again without disconnecting it from the controller. That proves even more that the bottleneck is the Ping right? Still even with a 36V, It has a peak of 2,2KW and a topspeed of 52km/h.. Not compareble with your 14KW though, or was it 16? It changes to fast :lol:

Doctorbass said:
Here is a pic of my 16kW recorded today:

Hey Doc,
I've played a little with the traction settings as you have posted earlier and I have beat you with stock controller: 21.3kW :twisted:
uploadfromtaptalk1432583600091.jpg

I'm in RC9e and my boost settings are limited to 130batt amps but what i notice is that when you play with the traction settings the batt amps get unleashed because i was seeing more than 200Amps during acceleration. This is almost identical to the block time in the infineon based controllers.

I like the way this is heading. Within the end of the week I gues someone will have a 40kw bike or a sparkling black smoked adaptto controller:D

skWarDog said:
Allex said:
Dunno about rc7c, b is what I used and what doc uses now.
That's actually what I wrote to the SD Drive, and now the drive letter don't show up in windows explorer (I understand this is normal), so saves me a trip to Staples. I'll give 'b' a try...... It did write successfully, thanks for posting the translation @ 40 pages back, Allex! I'm sure I'm not the only one in this thread who appreciates all the really accurate knowledge you contributed to this thread and forum!
+1!!!

update, thats 5.8Kw reading i saw today :D

running 22s, x5404......mine-es are not to be scoffed at...it gets my cargobike with 3 people, combined weight incl. bike estimated at 182kg

up a stupidly steep grade at 35kph for a couple hundred metres before overheating :lol:

fsmuggen said:
I like the way this is heading. Within the end of the week I gues someone will have a 40kw bike or a sparkling black smoked adaptto controller:D

Ah ha .. Watt a comment ! 8)

Look like you need more than 54 posts to better know some E-S people that have thousand of post and years of history here!

It TAKE SPARK TO EVERY MAJOR IMPROOVEMENT :wink: This help knowing how pushing the limit further!

Back in 2007 nobody would have ever tought that our little Crystalyte 40A 72V controller could turn to 120A 100V MONSTER capable of pushing ebike to 80km/h+ after few mods and patience!

If you dont risk sparks, you just can't push the limit of what's possible!

Some people are proud to wear some I VOID WARRANTIES T-shirt.. some not... you choose your team man! :wink:

Here are some pictures of the mod that i made on my actual Adaptto:

I have replaced some of the actual electrolytic caps that had 74 miliohm ESR

And added some better 1000uF 18 miliohm ESR

I have added quality 7XR 1uF 250V ceramic capacitor ( 5 in parallel for the + and - rails near each phase) and 7 in parallel to the + and - Batt wires input on the PCB

I have also replaced all the 10 gauge wires for 8 gauge wires

This way there is less voltage loss, more to the motor !, better voltage spike filtering to help protecting the fets when using very high phase amp

I get 5 miliohm ESR total on teh Batt input of the controller .. so these caps can dump burst of a total of 90v /0.005 = 18000amps.. so the ripple voltage is decreased alot!

Doc

Attachments

• 20150510_141959 (Personnalisé).jpg
    20150510_141959 (Personnalisé).jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 2,789
  • 20150510_142055 (Personnalisé).jpg
    20150510_142055 (Personnalisé).jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 2,789
  • 20150516_185941 (Personnalisé).jpg
    20150516_185941 (Personnalisé).jpg
    86 KB · Views: 2,789
  • 20150516_190216 (Personnalisé).jpg
    20150516_190216 (Personnalisé).jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 2,789
  • 20150516_200403 (Personnalisé).jpg
    20150516_200403 (Personnalisé).jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 2,789
  • 20150516_200335 (Personnalisé).jpg
    20150516_200335 (Personnalisé).jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 2,789
Thats great info Doc.

you will probably get even lower controller temps with the 8g wires no?

if ever i get game enough to open up my max-e, ill refer to this and perhaps ask you some more specifics about parts.. :D

im thinking you may aswell unlock the firmaware as i believe opening the controller voids warranty anyway :D

Ohbse said:
FYI I also run mini-e daily at 4.9kw without issue. Controller heat is very low.

Tempting to flash unlocked firmware and crank it up a bit...

Just as an update, I tried out the LS tweak that you guys mentioned earlier and it worked a treat on my mini-e too :)

Now running 6.5kw and feels good. One thing that this does NOT help with is the phase amp limitation... the extra juice only kicks in >35km/h as before that it's phase amp limited. For this reason I'm not at all worried about it blowing up, but it does actually make it more obvious that it needs a lot more phase amps to be really exciting at low speeds.

Need to put my max-e back on the bike, perhaps after I do some mods like Doc and Madin! Great work guys.

Ohbse said:
Just as an update, I tried out the LS tweak that you guys mentioned earlier and it worked a treat on my mini-e too :)

Now running 6.5kw and feels good. One thing that this does NOT help with is the phase amp limitation... the extra juice only kicks in >35km/h as before that it's phase amp limited. For this reason I'm not at all worried about it blowing up, but it does actually make it more obvious that it needs a lot more phase amps to be really exciting at low speeds.

Need to put my max-e back on the bike, perhaps after I do some mods like Doc and Madin! Great work guys.

You can control when the extra juice kicks in by adjusting the "LS start" speed

Doc, great work! having 20 (if i counted right) of this awesome ceramic caps is awesome.
i wish i would have all the fantastic tools and equipment you have

this is why i am so greatful to Doc for sharing. even if i did have that equipment, like his flux capacitor :lol: i wouldnt know my way around it....

if he has the knoledge of what to do and use, and tests it too, then gives us the info, its just gold!

marcelkuis said:
I think the ping pack bms switched off due to overload,
by disconnecting the load will restore the bms

Yes Marcel, you're right! If find it strange however that the battery amps were way higher when I used the Lyen 12fet compared to the mini-e. According to the CA it was around 60A, which is 13A more....

But with the mini-e it is amazing to cycle over 50 km/h with "just" a 36v battery.

Thanks Doc, those pictures are great.
I may copy what you have done here. Do you think you could post a few more close up pictures of the connections before you close it up? Thanks

I've been looking around and have not been able to find a specific setting enabling balancing on the BMS. I have my bms connected and I set it to be enabled. I also see the cell voltages but the BMS board isn't flashing or seem to be balancing.

Anyone have any input on what I'm missing? Is there a specific setting? The BMS status keeps saying "no" next to "bat balancing"

moonshine said:
I've been looking around and have not been able to find a specific setting enabling balancing on the BMS. I have my bms connected and I set it to be enabled. I also see the cell voltages but the BMS board isn't flashing or seem to be balancing.

Anyone have any input on what I'm missing? Is there a specific setting? The BMS status keeps saying "no" next to "bat balancing"

In the BMS menu you have to configure the type of cells you have (lipo, life, lion) and you also have a custom mode where you can set the max cell voltage, the balance voltage, minimum voltage, etc). What have you selected???

Ohbse said:
Ohbse said:
FYI I also run mini-e daily at 4.9kw without issue. Controller heat is very low.

Tempting to flash unlocked firmware and crank it up a bit...

What is this LS tweak, I tried looking back in the thread but couldn't find much information about it.

Offroader said:
What is this LS tweak, I tried looking back in the thread but couldn't find much information about it.
Second picture: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=61183&start=1675#p1050630
You need to set a current equal or superior to the batt amps set in the profile boost and adjust the LS start speed where it kicks in.

striker54 said:
moonshine said:

In the BMS menu you have to configure the type of cells you have (lipo, life, lion) and you also have a custom mode where you can set the max cell voltage, the balance voltage, minimum voltage, etc). What have you selected???

I chose "custom" I believe i put in max cell voltage as 4.10, min as 3.10, critical as 2.5, balancing as 4.10. I'm running samsung 25R cells. Should i be putting in max as 4.2, min 3.1, and critical 2.5? I wanted to increase longevity of cells so i thought charging them to 4.10 down to 3.10 was a good range. That means i set my charge voltage to 82V, high voltage cutoff to 84V with 1V softlimit. I'm not sure if that's the correct way. What have people been doing for 18650 cells?

moonshine said:
striker54 said:
moonshine said:

I chose "custom" I believe i put in max cell voltage as 4.10, min as 3.10, critical as 2.5, balancing as 4.10. I'm running samsung 25R cells. Should i be putting in max as 4.2, min 3.1, and critical 2.5? I wanted to increase longevity of cells so i thought charging them to 4.10 down to 3.10 was a good range. That means i set my charge voltage to 82V, high voltage cutoff to 84V with 1V softlimit. I'm not sure if that's the correct way. What have people been doing for 18650 cells?

OK, there is another menu (that i don't remember the name)in the BMS menu where you need to set the number of cells in each plug board

Back