Air-full tire on hub motor for e-scooter

tonyman

1 µW
I have a BMC HPC Black Lightning hub motor that i want to use for my e-scooter. What would be the best way to put a pneumatic tire on it? The flange holes are for bike wheel spokes
IMG_1090.JPGIMG_1089.JPG

Sheldon Brown (rip) and many others have created a wonderful library of information that might help your search for knowledge.

Spoke it to a wheel first.

Do note that this is either a MAC or BMC.. these have poor efficiency in a 16" scooter wheel, aka 20" in bike tire size. The high pole count makes them unsuitable for a wheel smaller than that. The result will be that the motor overheats on the flats.

Consider using a wheel designed for the higher RPM a scooter runs at instead.

A small direct drive hub would be the optimal motor for a scooter... in terms of max efficiency and max power.

Last edited:
Spoke it to a wheel first.

Do note that this is either a MAC or BMC.. these have poor efficiency in a 16" scooter wheel, aka 20" in bike tire size. The high pole count makes them unsuitable for a wheel smaller than that. The result will be that the motor overheats on the flats.

Consider using a wheel designed for the higher RPM a scooter runs at instead.

A small direct drive hub would be the optimal motor for a scooter... in terms of max efficiency and max power.
Thanks for replying. I am not looking for high speed, but high torque is super important. I live on a very steep hill, steeper than what most thing of when steep hill is mentioned and my last ebike could not make it up the hill without me doing some very vigorous paddling- about the same as with a non motored bike. Otherwise low speed is fine but i sure do not want to overheat the motor- how do i keep it at a speed it can easily handle? Thanks for the heads up about that for a question i didn't know to ask.

Thanks for replying. I am not looking for high speed, but high torque is super important. I live on a very steep hill, steeper than what most thing of when steep hill is mentioned and my last ebike could not make it up the hill without me doing some very vigorous paddling- about the same as with a non motored bike. Otherwise low speed is fine but i sure do not want to overheat the motor- how do i keep it at a speed it can easily handle? Thanks for the heads up about that for a question i didn't know to ask.
I would install a temperature monitor. Since it's a geared hub, it won't be able to shed excess heat easily, so depending on how long the hill is, you'd want to stop to let the motor cool if it starts to overheat.

What would be the best way to put a pneumatic tire on it? The flange holes are for bike wheel spokes

And just to be clear about your question, it almost sounds like you’re asking if you can put a tire directly on the hub motor? So that’s not going to work because you need to lace the hub motor into a rim and that would be too big to put on a scooter.

What type of scooter do you have? Pics?

No idea what wheel size you are using on this scooter but with a 12" wheel, this motor goes from ~85% efficiency while cruising in a 26" wheel . Now it runs at 56.3% efficiency in this wheel size.

1711396702148.png

You'll have enough torque to climb a wall but the motor will overheat at really slow speeds.

As calab says, you can machine rim flanges that can bolt to the spoke flanges, to put the tire on there without lacing it with spokes. Look at powerchair BLDC hubmotors for how those do this.

But as everyone else has pointed out, the motor itself is not designed for what you're after, and will probably not work very well for that, at least not for very long.

If it were wound for your specific needs, it might work better, but I don't know what winding you'd need. (the simulator might let you figure that out).

The real problem is not the winding but the amount of poles in the motor being really excessive, gets worse the faster the motor spins.

I have a BMC HPC Black Lightning hub motor that i want to use for my e-scooter.

Are you talking about a sit down scooter like a Vespa, or one of those goofy little toy scooters with bagel sized wheels?

Back