Alta Motors Redshift

macribs said:
Hard to tell if the video you posted is the real deal or if this was a review made by a rider that has not yet gotten used to the power delivery of the MXR. If you see the comments below there are two that kind of says he is all wrong about most of it, including the overheating. And the weight distribution, in the video he claims bike is front heavy. When reality is that the bike is well balanced at close to perfect 50/50. So when he crack down on the MXR it makes it kind of hard to trust they guy. What else in his review is wrong?

Maybe Rix can do a track day video? He is used to mx riding and now are comfortable on his new Altå. Don't know if the power train are the same as in the MXR and the battery, he will have a few pounds extra for the lights etc but I think I would have an easier time trusting a review from Rix who is a well known member here then some random youtuber throwing false claims around.
Yeah that guy sucks at riding and has no idea about the bike. As well you need to compare the WET weight of the KTM.

Also when something "fishtails" in the world of motocross its not the bikes fault its the rider. He has a twist throttle and 4 maps and his body weight to control that. As a rule you keep all the weight on the front you can and slowly move back to gain enough traction without looping. Thats why MX riders stick their inside leg forward its to get more weight on the front tire while having a foot close to the ground to save them if they loos traction with either wheel.

That review is garbage. You need someone who 1 knows how to ride and two has proper education on the bike and the bikes he is comparing it to.

For comparison its 11 lbs heavier then the 2019 (lightened by 1.75lbs) CRF450R and that is very hard for most to notice. In fact most who ride the MXR say it feels like a 125.

https://motorcycle.honda.ca/model/dirtbikes/competition/crf450r/2019

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    93 KB · Views: 2,762
That guy rides way, way better than either of you, arlo or macribs.

The overheating isn't an opinion or bad guess on weight distribution it's a unavoidable consequence of someone riding the bike hard. Multiple people (all fast) have ridden the bike and had the same issue. The owner brings it out every week. He also has some combustion bikes to ride while it cools down and recharges.

People who think the bike doesn't overheat are either slow or not riding on track. Overheating is not a problem for trails or enduro.

flat tire said:

The overheating isn't an opinion or bad guess on weight distribution it's a unavoidable consequence of someone riding the bike hard. Multiple people (all fast) have ridden the bike and had the same issue. The owner brings it out every week. He also has some combustion bikes to ride while it cools down and recharges.

People who think the bike doesn't overheat are either slow or not riding on track. Overheating is not a problem for trails or enduro.

Like hell he does. I raced MX for many years and still ride every single day I never come up short on jumps like that and could out corner him in a any corner on that video!! . Motorcycles are my life and my weapon of choice is something off road!

VERY FIRST Comment on the video!

bwhaskell
2 months ago
Having ridden the MXR for an entire day, swapping on an off between it and my KX450, i have to say i disagree with most of your assessment.

Yes, the Alta weighs a bit more than a 450. However, since the electric motor has so little inertia (the only rotating mass is the central shaft in the electric motor), it handles like a 125. (I can say this because i also have a 125). The bike turns way better than any 450 gas bike, and doesn't act funny in the air or through rough terrain (which a 450 can do at times).

The MXR is not silent. You can totally hear the electric motor whine while you are riding it (in fact, you can even hear it in your gopro video!). I don't agree with your statement that it was nearly impossible to gauge rear tire spin. Once you get used to the sound coming from the electric drivetrain (part electric motor/ part gear whine), you can gauge and monitor its RPM and translate that to perceived wheel spin. That all having been said, the power is so smooth that your right hand is almost literally connected to the rear tire, so its way easier to modulate power on the MXR vs a gas 450 bike.

I never had a problem cracking the throttle open abruptly and feeling a loss of control on the MXR. Again, the MXR has a more direct feeling between the throttle and the rear tire as compared to my KX450, so i felt like it was easier overall to whack the throttle when needed. This fact also translated into better performance in ruts and flattracking because i feel like i was able to precisely modulate the power.

I got about 45 minutes of ride time primarily using Map 4 in 80-90 degree weather and didn't have an overheating issue on the bike i rode. That having been said, i have heard some people have an overheating problem.

flat tire said:

I'll bite, I raced the ISDE qualifier from 84 to 92, "A" class, but not as a "Letter of Intent" rider. I golded 6 of those races, with one sliver (first race), and one bronze. (I got lost during a special test in 86 was the reason for the bronze). Here is the reality, I overheated and boiled over every bike I had during those races. From 125 to 500cc 2 strokes. I also boiled over my 09XCF450 in a snow race in 2010. So as you claim your "B"rider buddy has the ability to over heat an older model MX or MXR, whatever he's riding, I can lay claim that I have the ability to over heat ICE bikes as well. What do you want for your outstanding insight, a junior G man badge? Really doesn't mean anything though. Go to the Alta Owners Forum. Yah there are some guys hitting thermo rollback which is actually whats going with the "over heating", but there are also guys getting the hole shot, and winning the overall in their races. So racing the Alta on a tighter technical MC track, not going to have any issues. Racing the Alta on a fairly flat track with only jumps and turns where the throttle is kept pinned all the time, thermo roll back may occur. 1987, during a desert race in Murphy Idaho, I seized by 86 KX 250 in a sandwash. I guarantee I can't seize my EXR.

As far as claiming
How do you know that? I don't know how fast your B rider buddy is, and I don't know how fast Arlo and MacRibs are, but unless you have actually seen these folks ride back to back and together, thats an unsubstantiated claim, and there for, nothing more than gossip.

Arlo1 said:
Rix said:
spinningmagnets said:
The tires, brake pads, and chains/sprockets are general purpose items, so they will remain available from a third-party seller. I am curious about what parts are "Alta-specific", and might wear out.

Buy a spare of X, Y, and Z...if you own an Alta. They appear to be pretty wonderful.

Just the chain slider, rear fender and radiator shrouds. Everything else is either KTM SXF specs such as sprockets and break pads, YZF 450 for footpegs, and 2009 CRF450 front fender. The head light lamp assemble can be replaced with about anything.
Uhm the important things that might fail... Motor, Controller, Battery, Frame, swing arm, are all proprietary.

This is true, but I think the issue with Alta will be resolved very quickly. I sure hope it is.

macribs said:
Hard to tell if the video you posted is the real deal or if this was a review made by a rider that has not yet gotten used to the power delivery of the MXR. If you see the comments below there are two that kind of says he is all wrong about most of it, including the overheating. And the weight distribution, in the video he claims bike is front heavy. When reality is that the bike is well balanced at close to perfect 50/50. So when he crack down on the MXR it makes it kind of hard to trust they guy. What else in his review is wrong?

Maybe Rix can do a track day video? He is used to mx riding and now are comfortable on his new Altå. Don't know if the power train are the same as in the MXR and the battery, he will have a few pounds extra for the lights etc but I think I would have an easier time trusting a review from Rix who is a well known member here then some random youtuber throwing false claims around.

The fact that you value my opinion MacRibs is very flattering. The EXR and MXR do have the same battery and output rating. The EXR is about 12 pounds heavier due to the street legal equipment. The EXR suspension is much softer than the MXR. I haven't rode any moto since the late 80s, but I was recently goofing around on a moto track, and now have leaking fork seals. I need to get them revalved and re sprung for my weight and ability. My friend who won the US national a couple of years back told me I have A rider skill with B rider speed in the woods and desert. Back in the 80s when I did race some moto X, I rode 125 expert and was the middle of the pack guy. So if I do a video review, that would be the skill level I am basing my findings on. I do plan on making a video and expanding on my findings, I will have to add a couple of laps of Moto into it the theme for sure.

Rix said:
This is true, but I think the issue with Alta will be resolved very quickly. I sure hope it is.

Dude!!! Me too. I have 20k sitting here from Selling my 1969 road runner which is ear marked for our Performance Model 3... But I am temped to get the Alta while I wait for the rest of my money to come in for the Model 3!

I am planning to get a MXR... But I wanted a few more months.

flat tire said:

First off, I never said anything about that riders skills. What I said was he was wrongly claiming bad weight distribution on the bike, and it looks like he is not used to the power delivery of the MXR and throttle modulation of the electric drive train. You bring this video into the thread to support your claims of the bike overheating etc. And when we look at the video the video consists of false claims. Then you say you know so and so many people riding the bike and they all drain the power rapidly, bike overheats etc. Oh really? Is that a fact, or is it just horse shit like the false claim about the weight distribution? We can't know for sure, and you sure made it tough to trust your words.

Your claims does not seems trust worthy, your video does not seems thrust worthy and why the heck are you even making comments about my riding skills? You never ridden with me and probably not with arlo1, you don't know our skill sets. And more importantly, our skill level got nothing to do with what we are talking about. You are the one bringing up "the bads" of the Alta. You posted the video. How can my skills be of any relevance to what you are saying?

Lets look at the video. The chosen lines. The shortcomings over and over again over jumps. And he seems to be working hard focusing on that being the fault of the bike. But is it really? Could it be that he got an alternative motive for saying what he does in the video?

He blames the weight of the Alta, the suspension and the weight distribution. If something was lacking why didn't he stop and adjust the shock and fork? It's not like it is ALTA suspension on that bike, those WP's are easy to tune and revalve.

When one add all that together you come off as white noise or a person with a bad hair day that are looking to pick a fight rather then keep the discussion honest and to the point. And your video come off as falsum.

I don't hold the answer and I don't know what is what regarding the Alta. But I do know I don't trust what you are saying. Maybe if you toned things down a notch, didn't post a falsum video or didn't start getting personal it with be easier to consider your points.

flat tire said:
Here's a review my friend did on the Redshift MXR. The battery is what's overheating, not the motor. It's not ready for track use.

[youtube]ZyYRK2hAU4E[/youtube]
Wish I hadn't seen this review. The guy goes for one ride and makes sweeping conclusions about the future of Alta.

First, you do not remove 37 lbs to improve your jump landings. You improve the suspension instead.

Second, not hearing the motor is a good thing. Listen to the tire on hardpack, or go by feel. You can't hear your own gas motor when racing with others anyway, so switch from going by ear to going by feel. It will make you a faster rider.

Third, the half-throttle comment was because he did not try Map 4.

I stopped watching after this.

Arlo1 said:
Rix said:

Dude!!! Me too. I have 20k sitting here from Selling my 1969 road runner which is ear marked for our Performance Model 3... But I am temped to get the Alta while I wait for the rest of my money to come in for the Model 3!

I am planning to get a MXR... But I wanted a few more months.

So this is what we know. Stefan Pierer CEO for Pierer Industrie AG is on vacation in Brisbane California, which ironically is where Alta's factory and lead operations is located. The Pierer Industrie's company spokesman publicly stated earlier this week "Mr Stefan Pierer is vacationing in Brisbane, Ca. and can not be reached for comment." If one was to take the time to research Pierer Industrie, he/she will learn these entity currently owns KTM, Husqvarna, Husaberg (even though the brand is dead) and a hole bunch of other major manufacturing companies. As I posted the Alta Owners thread, this is one hell of a coincidence for Alta to shut down production, and have Stefan Pierer himself be on vacation in the same city of Alta's manufacturing/production operations. Also, the parts I ordered for my bike from Alta are enroute, so it would appear that even though production operations are shut down, support operations are still happening. The word floating around right now is next week there will be an announcement from Alta Motors about its status.

flat tire said:
Arlo1 said:
Now a MXR can do a full moto with a Pro on it and last the whole race plus a few hot laps with no thermal problems.

This is absolute complete and total bullshit and you are very much misinformed. The 2018 Redshift MXR at our track overheats in like 4 laps with the owner or my friend riding it. Neither one is even an expert, my friend races B class and I dunno what the other one does. See the review I linked in the second post on page 1.

Just watched the YT video you linked to your other comment (https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=ZyYRK2hAU4E), as far as I can tell, the bike never went into thermo roll back once during your B rider buddy's review. When the bike goes into thermo rollback, the dash indicator light will flash red, not green. So at what point in the video did the bike go into thermo rollback?

Found a used 2018 Alta redshift mxr 37 miles it says it has. He wants 5000. Will parts be available in future

FL bomber said:
Found a used 2018 Alta redshift mxr 37 miles it says it has. He wants 5000. Will parts be available in future

Thats a steal even if it doesn't run.

More pics from recent rides before the snow fell.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 2,298
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 2,298
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 2,298
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 2,298
Gorgeous scenery and bike.

I'm interested to see how people will start to modify these as far as reverse-engineering the OEM control and battery system. Build an extra battery, for example.

So this rides like a normal gas offroad bike and the Lightbee was more like an xr80?

thoroughbred said:
Gorgeous scenery and bike.

I'm interested to see how people will start to modify these as far as reverse-engineering the OEM control and battery system. Build an extra battery, for example.

So this rides like a normal gas offroad bike and the Lightbee was more like an xr80?

Exactly, the lightbee was like the old 80 and the Alta is like a KTM EXC500 with alot more grunt from start.

Pic from a little 20 mile dual sport ride I had this past week. Was a good day. Cold though.

What is the most range you gotten out of a ride....meaning a good fun ride, not just max range?

Looks like a good time always in your pictures.

Tom

litespeed said:
What is the most range you gotten out of a ride....meaning a good fun ride, not just max range?

Tom

With my Zeros I don't have odometers. I can tell you I have done 5.5 hours of riding and come back with over 1/3 charge left. The type of riding you do will effect this drastically. You can go full throttle at top speed down long straight gravel roads and use up the battery in 1/2 hr to 45min But you can also ride something like 10 hours on single track on 1 charge.

litespeed said:

Tom

I have gotten 38 miles with about 5% battery left, and this is good quick trail riding in Map2. I'm not riding a race pace by any means, but I am also not taking it easy either. Because I ride alone, I only ride fast enough to minimize crashing and possibly getting injured. My friend tells me I still have "A" rider skill with slow "B" rider speed.

Back