Amps going thru phase wire ??

:?: My question is this- I have my controller set to 100 phase amps. Does that mean that up to 100 amps will be going through each wire or does the 100 amps get divided between the three wires? i.e 33.3a x 3

Nope, that's 100amps per wire.

But only 2 wires get it at a time, so it's a 2/3rds duty cycle for the wires.

It's tricky to run 100A in only one wire. 100A phase limit means the controller tries to never send over 100A into the phase wires, and it uses 2 of the 3 at a time. The Infenion controllers don't actually measure the phase current, they guess it based of things like battery current and motor speed. As the speed increases, the current to the motor will decline.

Thanks for the info guys,

I am replacing the phase wire right as it comes out the axel with the high temp stuff Lyen sells so i guess it would be a good idea not to use the 45amp andersons since the phase amps on my Lyen controller is set at 100a and that will be increased as soon as i get some more batteries.

I can see now how they would be prone to melt.

45A Power Poles should be fine with 100A peaks. If you are melting 45A PP's, you assembled them poorly, or are likely close to burning up your motor anyways.

The 75A PP's would be a better connector, but they're much bigger and cost substantially more.

Im just thinking of the future, right now im at 58v hot but will be going to over 80v -maybe more-soon. i have already redone my battery harness with some high grade 10g wire and 5.5mm bullets with a 75a app for the harness to the controller connection.

I am thinking maybe 6mm bullets for the phase wire connections, it could probably be overkill but , do it once then and forgetaboutit.

ZOMGVTEK, i see in your sig. that you are running at 180 amps, what king of connectors are you using?

45A PP's on the phase, with very short stock phase wires, 10 gauge elsewhere. I'm going to be rewiring the bike with some stupid thick stuff for next summer.

There is just about no such thing as overkill when it comes to wire. There will always be voltage drop, the idea is to make the wire and connectors large enough that the drop is insignificant. 10 Gauge is 'nice' to work with, and fits in most connectors well, but really high power stuff should be using 8 or 6 as a minimum.

I think the 45amp APP just seem a little cheesy. I think then im going to use 6mm bullets , they should have a lot less loss then. Im extending the 12g high temp wire from my lyen controller with the same wire im getting from him right to the axel. That shoud be pretty melt proof i think. :roll:

The PP30 are really nice if used with 10AWG.

They take 40A continuous no prob without overheat. It's tricky to insert all the strands for 10AWG, but if you enlarge a bit the connector ansd than crimp it with the right tool and solder it at the junction of strands input and the connector input, it's perfect.

I'm using PP30 for all my ebikes onthe phase wires since 2007 and often see current over 250A burst on the calibrated C-A and the connector never get hot.

If you take a look of the pp30 spec sheet, you will discover that the temperature of the connector and ( as well his current limit) is relative to the temp and the size of the wire. The conector evacuate the heat thru the wire strands so bigger is better.

The difference of power lost from a very big pp75 and a pp30 is negligible.

pp30 is 0.6 milliohms and the pp75 is 0.2 milliohm

the difference is 0.4 miliohm

at 100A, wich is burst it's 4Watts during the burst

for 40A continuous, it's 0.64W continuous per wire

2 wire at a time is .... 1.28W average :lol:

I guess that due to the big size of the pp75, the air friction due to the added surface area catching more wind ... generate drag that draw more power than 1.28W you could save using pp75 :lol: :lol: :wink:

That's my oppinion, but you decide :wink:

Doc

My battery harness i made is 10g wire with 5.5mm bullets and the connector with the 75a APP hooks to the controller which everything is inside my frame bag. Since i am extending the phase wires right up to the axel, i was conteplating a better connector than the andersons, The 6mm bullets are just about the same size as the plastic housing of the small APP. They just seem to be a better choice since im replacing the wire.

Back