Another Stumpjumper..

torker

100 kW
Found another Stumpjumper. Newer than mine. 625 versus 1000 plus for a Santa Cruz. Is it worth it?00l0l_2pisRE4Fuqpz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

I want to move my setup from my Rincon hardtail to it.

Yea. Around 2006 I think.

Solid bike, looks well maintained, room for a battery on the DT, decent price; looks good to me if it fits and shifts/brakes well.

What a beaut!

torker said:
Is it worth it?
Sorry can't answer that for you. For me I would say yes. I filled up the tank of my auto last month. Checked the log book, last time before that was Sept. 2021! Nearly all my other transportation needs were via my ebikes so that $625 purchase would be an easy ROI after a few months of use for me.

torker said:
I want to move my setup from my Rincon hardtail to it.
I started a new project also, similar FS, in an effort to get back some comfort and safety in the beat up roads around here. The three main challenges are: 1) Battery placement real estate (as mentioned above); 2) Fenders; 3) Rear rack. That is for urban commuter use/ car replacement use. If you are just building for offroad fun you probably don't need fenders or rack.

Okay okay what kind of build are we doing a D.D. ,Gearded motor or mid Drive ? What Battery, Where ? make the box the size of the battery and see if it fits. Now make a box the size controller and see where it will fit. That's how I would start. Don't guess.

This will be a weekender ride. I don't commute on a bike. I take them camping etc. It will be fitted with my 9c direct drive from my Rincon. I am mainly looking for comfort. If I had the money I would probably get a fat tire full suss elec. 625.00 is a lot for me .. This frame is different than my old mid 90s fsr. Hoping I can do similar layout. I agree the white Fox fork looks silly.

a pic of my fsr

Attachments

• ebike fsr.jpg
    ebike fsr.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 495
Craigslist in this area is about as good as it can get if you're looking for mountain bikes. You may have to wait a week or so if you're looking for a sub $1000 Santa Cruz, but they aren't rare.

Bike:
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik/d/santa-clara-santa-cruz-heckler-mountain/7456022587.html
Or frame only:
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik/d/san-martin-santa-cruz-heckler/7453800069.html

They are pretty rare here in Wichita. I just don't want to spend a grand for a donor. I know the higher end bikes ride good and are great to start a build. Just not in the budget. Actually 625 is a lot for me :) fsr.jpg

Another view. Hopefully I can do similar with this although the frame is different. But it is a Cadillac to me...

torker said:
They are pretty rare here in Wichita. I just don't want to spend a grand for a donor. I know the higher end bikes ride good and are great to start a build. Just not in the budget. Actually 625 is a lot for me :) fsr.jpg

Another view. Hopefully I can do similar with this although the frame is different. But it is a Cadillac to me...

That bike looks good. That's probably one of the last years with straight tubes, so better for what you want to do. They went to those curvy tubes in 2007 or so, which looks like it's harder to get a decent battery mounted on. I never understood what the benefit is for curvy tubes. Maybe makes sense on the top tube, but why on the downtube?:
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik/d/santa-clara-2007-specialized/7454492273.html

I'd look hardest at that fork. These days its hard to get a really good replacement fork for straight tube headsets. For street, or moderate trail rides, the shorter travel knock off brand forks can be ok. But if you need long travel, then you need that fork to be in very good shape.

Having said that, the fork alone could be worth half that price. Especially if its a top of the line replacement, not the original.

torker said:
"Is it worth it?"
"625.00 is a lot for me .. "
"Actually 625 is a lot for me"
"But it is a Cadillac to me..."
Seems to be a constant worry.

If it's going to present problems paying the rent, putting food on the table, keeping up with your base responsibilities, then you shouldn't do it.

But if you even halfway like bicycling, then riding a high-quality well-designed well-built bicycle made with good materials and good componentry will fill you with indescribable joy each time you set out to ride. Something you cannot ascribe a monetary value to. :D

E-HP said:
torker said:

That bike looks good. That's probably one of the last years with straight tubes, so better for what you want to do. They went to those curvy tubes in 2007 or so, which looks like it's harder to get a decent battery mounted on. I never understood what the benefit is for curvy tubes. Maybe makes sense on the top tube, but why on the downtube?:
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik/d/santa-clara-2007-specialized/7454492273.html

You do get a lot more choices there than "flat" Kansas. Been reading the reviews from 06. They do mention how light it is for that era. Maybe less material for a given strength..

dogman dan said:
I'd look hardest at that fork. These days its hard to get a really good replacement fork for straight tube headsets. For street, or moderate trail rides, the shorter travel knock off brand forks can be ok. But if you need long travel, then you need that fork to be in very good shape.

Having said that, the fork alone could be worth half that price. Especially if its a top of the line replacement, not the original.

From what I can tell it looks to be what came stock on that bike. Don't know what to look for. Play or stiction. I don't need alot of travel although it looks like they increased that in 06. No extreme off road for me. I just want plush for my bad back.

99t4 said:
torker said:
"Is it worth it?"
"625.00 is a lot for me .. "
"Actually 625 is a lot for me"
"But it is a Cadillac to me..."
Seems to be a constant worry.

If it's going to present problems paying the rent, putting food on the table, keeping up with your base responsibilities, then you shouldn't do it.

But if you even halfway like bicycling, then riding a high-quality well-designed well-built bicycle made with good materials and good componentry will fill you with indescribable joy each time you set out to ride. Something you cannot ascribe a monetary value to. :D

I usually sell something to fund new toys. 😁 It also keeps mama happy. I know I do love riding the fsr I have. A lot more than the hardtail. Unfortunately I don't know much about the mechanical differences in forks .
This info has helped me know the value is there. If it rides as good as it looks.

Back