Any brushed motor controller recomendations? (Upgrading it)

swbluto

10 TW
Is there a 24volt brushed motor controller that anyone recommends? I have an ezip 750 which has awesome hill climbing capabilities, but the controller is a bit lacking so it's a bit slow up the steeper hills (& it's potted, so it's hard to modify). My lipo can do much better and I'm pretty sure the motor can take the abuse of higher drive currents (The motor was ice cold after a long ride up a hill; I'm pretty sure the scooter's high gear ratio definitely helped). I'm looking for a brushed controller that's upgradable by replacing the mosfets and capacitors and beefing up the traces, along with whatever other mods need to be made. Or, if there happens to be a 1500 watt 24 volt controller, that'd be sweet. :)

I know that "schenzen" was famous on eBay back in the day with their the infineon controllers, but it seems like times have changed and I can't seem to easily find them nor "infineon controllers".

*edit*

Just looked at ebikes.ca, and it doesn't seem like infineon offers a brushed controller?

plenty of Brushed DC controllers on ebay..Virtual Village was having a final clear out of all stock so you may get some cheap..get a few spares while you are at it. not that I have blown one or anything..but just thinking if you get them cheap, why not get two or three.

I have one of their 800w 48 volt controllers and it easily puts out 1500W as measured by and external shunt CA

I know a few people that have used something called a YK43 controller.
Here's one on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-E-...DefaultDomain_100&hash=item2a03d243ee&vxp=mtr
They come with different LVC settings, but are all pretty much the same otherwise. The LVC can be modified.

They make sort of a growly sound at low speed but they have a good reliability record. The one I played with seemed to lack current limiting or if it had limiting, it was set way high. Good if you want wheelies.

Here's another similar one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/24V-500W-Br...her_Vehicle_Parts&hash=item3a7819b479&vxp=mtr
This one may be a candidate for modification. If you replace the FETs, I'm pretty sure you can make it handle lots more current (with possibly a shunt mod).

Thanks everyone!

It looks like Virtual Village has changed to 'need4speed_us' and they're out of items for sale. I ended up buying a few controllers from e-crazyman and he had brushed schenzen controllers, just what I was looking for!

Btw, just thought I should mention that ezip 750s are going for $270 at my local costco. The cheapest price online for one that I could find was $360 so they're going for a steal! (I'm guessing costco's purchasing team has some pretty good negotiators.)

The scooter itself is quite nice, too, as the front suspension absorbs the bumps and shocks and it has a billy goat of a gear ratio (Can climb hills pretty well, albeit, slowly on the steeper ones due to the 12ah lead-acid and pathetic controller.). The motor was ice-cold after doing a long hill-climb, so I have a feeling the motor can take far greater abuse. It's brushed, tho, so I wouldn't know what kind of higher speeds it'd be capable of, but all I'm really interested in is getting 15-20 mph uphill speeds so this scooter should be perfect.

The next ezip "one up" scooter, the 1000, has a "direct drive" (Undoubtedly due to the fact the scooter has a rear suspension) which appears to have numerous mechanical problems so I think modding potential might be limited w/ that one, so it seems the ezip 750 is about the best ezip scooter you could mod. (I've seen that the ezip 900 exists on a youtube video, but I haven't seen that one around.)

Comparing to my Zappy and my long decommissioned Viza Volt, it's not nearly as portable and lightweight since the scooter itself is SOLID STEEL, and I could never see myself getting on a bus with an ezip, but the seat and suspension is quite nice. I found the Zappy to be harsh on the back with its awkwardly angled deck and handlebar, and the Viza volt was nice, but the band brake was pretty ineffective after 100 miles or so. Also, the smallness and belt drive of these smaller scooters limited the possible gear ratios and the torque at the wheel, meaning creating a good hill climber was fraught with difficulty (I.e., snapping or skipping belts because belts are weak.), and I'm expecting it should be much easier with the Ezip. (Gear ratio of ~8.2 as compared to my small scooter's 4.0 gear ratio. Albeit, the wheel is 1.5 times bigger at 12 inches as compared to 8 inches, but it's still pretty awesome. That'd be like giving my small electric scooter a gear ratio of ~5.2.)

The fact it has a seat is pretty cool, too, as it's easier on the back. (And, yeah, more comfortable.)

Not sure where to get one nowdays, Camp Solutions for example ran out of stock long ago, but the same controller typical with brushed crystalyte and aotema motors would be a nice thing to have.

Why that one? They had decent power, 750-1000w, but the LVC was set to 24v. So they could run anything from 24 to 48v. That was sort of handy at times. 4 leads for example, could run a fast 12 ah, or a slow 24 ah if you needed to get long range.

swbluto said:
Btw, just thought I should mention that ezip 750s are going for $270 at my local costco. The cheapest price online for one that I could find was $360 so they're going for a steal! (I'm guessing costco's purchasing team has some pretty good negotiators.)

The scooter itself is quite nice, too, as the front suspension absorbs the bumps and shocks and it has a billy goat of a gear ratio (Can climb hills pretty well, albeit, slowly on the steeper ones due to the 12ah lead-acid and pathetic controller.). The motor was ice-cold after doing a long hill-climb, so I have a feeling the motor can take far greater abuse. It's brushed, tho, so I wouldn't know what kind of higher speeds it'd be capable of, but all I'm really interested in is getting 15-20 mph uphill speeds so this scooter should be perfect.

The next ezip "one up" scooter, the 1000, has a "direct drive" (Undoubtedly due to the fact the scooter has a rear suspension) which appears to have numerous mechanical problems so I think modding potential might be limited w/ that one, so it seems the ezip 750 is about the best ezip scooter you could mod. (I've seen that the ezip 900 exists on a youtube video, but I haven't seen that one around.)

Comparing to my Zappy and my long decommissioned Viza Volt, it's not nearly as portable and lightweight since the scooter itself is SOLID STEEL, and I could never see myself getting on a bus with an ezip, but the seat and suspension is quite nice. I found the Zappy to be harsh on the back with its awkwardly angled deck and handlebar, and the Viza volt was nice, but the band brake was pretty ineffective after 100 miles or so. Also, the smallness and belt drive of these smaller scooters limited the possible gear ratios and the torque at the wheel, meaning creating a good hill climber was fraught with difficulty (I.e., snapping or skipping belts because belts are weak.), and I'm expecting it should be much easier with the Ezip. (Gear ratio of ~8.2 as compared to my small scooter's 4.0 gear ratio. Albeit, the wheel is 1.5 times bigger at 12 inches as compared to 8 inches, but it's still pretty awesome. That'd be like giving my small electric scooter a gear ratio of ~5.2.)

The fact it has a seat is pretty cool, too, as it's easier on the back. (And, yeah, more comfortable.)

I bought my ezip 750 about a week ago and love it. It will complement my ezip Trailz bikes that I have for my wife and myself.
Even uses the same charger.

I also bought a 1000 watt scotter from east coast scooters. I will compare the two and if the 1000 watt one is indeed better, I will return the ezip 750.

For the ezip 750, I think you can plug in another 12 volt battery in series and overvolt it to 36volts. That's what the guys with the ezip 500 do and it seems to work fine. You said the motor is cool after running it uphill so I think it should be able to take 36 volts, but of course I take no responsibility if you do this and pop your motor! :)

Back